The Bamboo Thread - resurrected

Sorry, Scott, I don't know what kudzo is, I thought that you were referring to some type of bamboo. :|:

Why Jay, you don't know what you're missing. I'll just have to send you some. No worries, you can thank me later.:D

Here is a Wiki link pertaining to it....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudzu. I read that it's somewhat native to Japan, actually.

These pics were taken a few minutes ago, across the road from my house. The first shows what it will do to small trees, bushes and whatnot....literally cover them up. The second shot is of a gully that would easily have hidden my house years ago. I've filled it with brush/wood over the years and the kudzu has covered it up completely. My debris used to rot down faster, but the past several winters have beed drier and so it takes longer for it to rot. The last shot shows a red oak that the kudzu is growing on. It is up to about 50' on that tree, and there are trees just down from there where it easily reaches 75' or more.

c25d4e9c.jpg

7d5bb429.jpg

f4662a4d.jpg

Believe it or not, it doesn't seem to hurt them much. There are some down in the woods that you can hardly see the tree's leaves for the kudzu, and yet they live on. That tree has looked like that for years.

Wisteria, on the other hand, seems to be worse on the tree. There is a big water oak in my dad's yard that was covered with wisteria a few years ago. He cut all the wisteria back and the tree looks much better now. Kudzu grows loosely, hanging away from the tree. Wisteria is more "clingy" like poison oak, and seems to actually choke the tree. (At least that's my observation).

Those aren't visions, they're dillusions. Like i said, I work the corner before I touch that shit again.

You guys that have dug up bamboo and know roots, do you think it is true that if you go out during a full moon and drive a wooden stake into the root of a marijuana plant, it will much increase the potency? A person told me that once with conviction. I always had my doubts.

Anything you do to harm a marihuanna plant will increase potency.

THC is the plants way of keeping predators away, so if it feels threatened, the THC levels will increase.

The full moon stuff is some kind of Rudolph Steiner crap.

That's incorrect, Stig. Genetics is genetics. There is no way to increase THC levels in the plant. That's like saying if you hit someone in the head that will increase their IQ. Damaging the plant in any way only makes the plant stronger, not more potent.

THC is the plants way of keeping predators away

Yes, via the stalked capitulate glands. That's why you handle it delicately.

There have been studies of African acacia trees ,that show their ability to spontaneously raise their level of tannins, when other trees in the grove are attacked by giraffes.

Back when I grew MJ, we used to cut leaves from the plants to simulate insect attacks, in order to stimulate the plant to raise the number of stalked capitulate glands.
Were we acting right or following another urban myth?

It's a myth. Removing ANY leaves is bad - the plant needs every leaf to function properly. Cutting the leaves doesn't make the plant think it's under attack. What runs bugs off is when they knock the tip off the trichromes and come into contact with thc - it's an irritant to them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
OK...a LITTLE derail is OK but I don't want my boo thread to start becoming a hoochie mama hemp thread:D

Y'all know way more about MJ than I ever considered wanting to know. All I know about MJ is that she was HOT and was Spiderman's girlfriend.

You didn't know Kirsten Dunst is Danish.
What else could she be, with a name like that?

She is born in America, but from good Danish stock:D

You don't see me being a nationalist very often,and for good reason.
But something like her, will get me to waving the flag:lol:

Grow anything and try to get the best results possible, and it will lead to a fair amount of study and accumulation of knowledge. Ask me about tomatoes! How about that Kudzu (thanks for the pics) or similar growth being combined WITH bamboo! I see it as all coming under the heading of jungle. Bad places to be this time of year, steamy with lots of bugs. Humans can get all tangled up too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Time to bump my thread...

Last April, when the bamboo was in its growth phase, I used some to help my grandson, Hayden, understand face cuts and dropping trees. That was about a 40 foot piece of bamboo he felled. A seven year old with a Silky is a dangerous thing!!!

The first picture is where we were setting up some gauges to measure the growth rate.

And the last pictures...you can also eat from it. Here ya go.

Attachments

• IMG_0432.JPG
    IMG_0432.JPG
    288.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0435.JPG
    IMG_0435.JPG
    349.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0437.JPG
    IMG_0437.JPG
    320.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0438.JPG
    IMG_0438.JPG
    313.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0439.JPG
    IMG_0439.JPG
    372.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0440.JPG
    IMG_0440.JPG
    356.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0441.JPG
    IMG_0441.JPG
    365.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0442.JPG
    IMG_0442.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0443.JPG
    IMG_0443.JPG
    226.4 KB · Views: 47
Awesome pictures Gary! That boy looks ecstatic.

That's a really nice stand of bamboo you've got there.

Back