Thanks to G.F Beranek

I don't know if it has yet been mentioned, but something that was really interesting for me, having had only little in the way of formal tree work training, and also living in a place where the trade as a whole is little understood in terms of the degrees of skill involved, is that "The Fundamentals" book revealed the writer's own respect for the trade as a whole. Perhaps not in such words, but it is clearly obvious from the effort that went into documenting and instruction. That in itself I think is inspirational for people that have an interest, but haven't experienced an environment where the profession is looked upon with what it deserves.

Good point.

And the work it took to write Fundamentals is mind boggling. Not work like tree work, but definitely hard, long work in its own way.

Good post August. I know you're competitive guy, as are the best tree guys I've ever come across. Many try to hide it, but its in there. To come out and say, there's a lot of stuff I didn't know, is very Nobel. Good on ya.

Jerry I personally think theres enough scope, and enough water passed under the bridge to update it, perhaps. If you had the inclination, and the patience. Update might be the wrong word, maybe just add-too.....as the fundamentals haven't really changed. Im sure a lot of people here would be all too willing to contribute input, photos etc....if you wanted any.

The working climber DVDs are awesome mate....with lots of new tools and techniques etc. But that's not to suggest that an equivalent publication would be amy less popular. Books just get you in a different way, but are equally effective.

There's current trend of frauds out there, speaking, writing, consulting the do's and donts. They need reminding, what a real champion is, still is. My feeling is you would sell a lot of books Jerry, for what its worth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great post August. It takes humility to be able to admit our mistakes like that.

Thanks. I've learned that pride (the arrogant self type) seems to be the worst thing for me. Hardheadedness is the kryptonite of awareness and objectivity. Yet I keep finding myself there! See, there I go, someone tells me I'm humble and I start getting proud of THAT!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you all so much! Your support is so over-whelming. I never ever considered myself anymore than just part of the backbone of hard working people that makes up this industry. An industry I chose to make a career of, after spending 9 years in it. today I am truly honored to receive the accolades that have come from my efforts over the years. Hey, when I started in this business I had absolutely no idea where I was headed. That is the truth.

August, your love of trade and professionalism transcends through your videos. Of which rank up with the best arb videos I've watched on the world-wide-web. The message in your videos pulls my heart-strings. Like Reg C, I can't help but think you're a cool guy. Your actions reflect it. Thank you for being you, and all the kind words and appreciation!

And welcome to the House!

Jerry and Terri B

Thanks Jerry and Terri (and Butch for the invite). Telling you my appreciation for your work is like checking off a bucket list item.

...Fundamentals is the "Bible" of Tree Workers...F'n masterpiece (I believe I know every page as well as anyone could).... miss my dog eared copy that went from house to truck for years...moral of story is don't lend out your Bible

Jerry I personally think theres enough scope, and enough water passed under the bridge to update it, perhaps. If you had the inclination, and the patience. Update might be the wrong word, maybe just add-too.....as the fundamentals haven't really changed. Im sure a lot of people here would be all too willing to contribute input, photos etc....if you wanted any.

Last year was the final print of fundamentals. Other than what I have left there will be no more until an update is done. So much improvements in climbing methods has come about since fundamentals was published, back in 96. It made a good run, but its time has come.

Thank you, Reg

Last year was the final print of fundamentals. Other than what I have left there will be no more until an update is done. So much improvements in climbing methods has come about since fundamentals was published, back in 96. It made a good run, but its time has come.

Thank you, Reg

So, is that a yes ? I won't tell anyone.

My copy is in a lock up in Manchester... I would like to purchase another just because I want to! Cant be doing without the 'Bible'! Ger are you accepting Paypal?

Not to gp on and on, but I found the source appendix quite valuable as well..led me to Sherill and many other great sources...the conversation I had with the guys at Acme Rigging was great I believe the only catalog they have EVER sent to Vermont was to me, told them Gerry's book led me there and mentioned the Rockport Tree poster...guy said, "Yup, them guys down in Laytonville"...really cool how famous Gerry , the Books, and that poster have become

I've passed the book around to people that can't very much read English, if at all. I felt that they at least needed to look at the pictures, and draw what inferences that they could from the fact that someone would go to the trouble to write such a text with lots of pages. I also said that I somewhat know the person that did. 8)

I have a signed copy of the fundamentals book given to me in I believe 2003 by Roy Stockton who lives up near Jerry in Point Arena.

I'd say I read through many sections of the book at different points and stages along my career and each time I re-read something it has a new light and level of understanding. I think this is something like zen training in a way, where the student can only grasp teachings from where they are at in their training. As they progress the same teachings expand in different ways, I often feel Jerry's videos and books are like that and you get an appreciation of a lifetime spent working with trees. Makes you want to stay with this work and this path,

jp:D

When I am befuddled in a tree I like to ask myself WWJD?

My copy is in a lock up in Manchester... I would like to purchase another just because I want to! Cant be doing without the 'Bible'! Ger are you accepting Paypal?

No doubt about it...Jer's book is 'The Bible' of treework. I have two copies. My original one is from Bailey's and still has the dust jacket that came with it. Thank you Jerry (and Terri) for all your hard work in the past, as well as all you do today! I hope that big storm that is going on out there (and which is coming our way) isn't hammering you too bad.

Hey Reg, welcome to The House buddy!

I hope that big storm that is going on out there (and which is coming our way) isn't hammering you too bad.

We're getting a little bit of wind and rain but nothing big. Nothing like the storms we were accustomed to in the 80's and 90's. Good to read you, Chris!

We're getting a little bit of wind and rain but nothing big. Nothing like the storms we were accustomed to in the 80's and 90's. Good to read you, Chris!

Nice to hear from you too Terri and please say hi to Jerry for me as well. As I said in another post, it's been a brutal winter for me, and I haven’t been posting much recently. With the deaths in Heide's family last year, I was hoping that this year was going to be better, but then Heide was recently hospitalized with a potentially life threatening heart condition. She had surgery to diagnose the problem and was released after a few days. That was scarier for me than any tree work that I have ever done! Over the last month, we’ve been able to control her condition with medication, but then just a few days ago, she said that she doesn’t feel well, and I’m afraid that she may have another stroke. Trying to get her to go to the ER, let alone the doctor is like trying to pull teeth! She wants to give the medicine a little while longer to work and if it doesn’t than its back to the hospital for heart surgery.

My apologies for going off topic and on a tangent. Glad to hear that the storm isn’t hitting you too bad. Hope we are spared as well on the east coast

Back