Tell me what I don't know about limbing a dead tree.

I've done all kinds of nasty, dead, and weak trees that needed some serious head scratching. If a breakaway lanyard would work, so would no lanyard at all. If it's worse than that, I will find a different way.

A breakaway lanyard can be used for work positioning, but breakaway if the tree fails, and the climber can't detach from the failing tree, to hang on the climb-line attached to a neighboring tree, or high-line. "No lanyard" can't be used for work-positioning.

A breakaway lanyard is dangerous because you have no idea exactly when it will let loose. In a tree that is so compromised that you can't safely put a lanyard on it, don't. A high rope angle, with one or more ropes that will support you and stabilize your position is what needs to be achieved.

I'd climb that oak. Looks like the tree next to it has enough height as well for a tie in. Strap that trunk. Guy it. Bombs away. Get it down some to where you can rig off the other trees. Granted I ain't there. But it would appear I probably have climbed worse.

that's the plan, but I haven't heard back from the client. they may have found another taker.

I have an apta that just sits around. was hoping to pop its cherry on the neighboring oak, and get some video of Tommy Stubs doing his thing.

Back