Super-dead limb, conks/mushrooms all the way down stem to the trunk...reallly don't wanna say No to a

cerberus

Treehouser
So I've only had to say No a handful of times, really don't wanna tell them "i'd get someone with a lift if I were you", but this thing...I've only gotten eyes on it once this afternoon and, client not home, I could only view from street and you can see it originates off an Oak out back, reaches over roof from the rear-left of the house, thing isn't just dead it's the worst dead I've been tasked w/ removing with targets below it:
closer up.jpg further back.jpg

Here's a side-view:
SIDE view.jpg

If it were normal, I'd anchor-above it, rig from above it, and take as-big-as-possible sections. Double whip and slideline would likely be implemented (as 1-man I have to use slidelines to clear things often, and only recently began double whipping lots of stuff after an obvious realization that I can get my rope back w/o anyone on the ground (I had been bringing up >1 bullrope, using both tails etc before getting into DW'ing as default)

Thanks for any thoughts...seeing the fruiting bodies so low on the limb, right where it meets the trunk....part of me is confident I can anchor-above, keep my weight on the rope, gently rope-up big sections (take it in maybe 3--->5 sections, depending if you're counting the end-bits that're thinnest&deadest which I'd remove 1st as they'll fail very easily) From that side-view pic, you can see I "have the anchor points" for such climbing & rigging if that limb doesn't collapse under me, I can set lines easily (my air cannon is very precise, has been a joy the weeks I've had it have not had 1 time of difficulty setting any line!), have what I need for roping it (ideally would kinda rappel down, set 2-point rigs on pieces as large as I'm comfortable with, and gently cutting them with good pressure on that line so there's no real 'bounce-up' of the limb after weight-removals) Just never saw something so likely-to-fail and worried how you guys approach it if they need it gone, but there's a chance it could fail due to wind before you get there (again maybe it can take a storm, I also may break a section when I use my fiberglass pole to prod the thing @ tomorrow AM's inspections..

yeah VERY appreciative of any thoughts I always love seeing "what more I can get away with" with Oaks but never had the concept of "thing could break on its own accord at any minute now" (hmmm, now I'm wondering -- if something of that nature happened & damages were catastrophic - would having one's TRAQ qual help "shield them"?)

Thanks again, am glad to have refound this forum this place is so dense with awesomeness :D

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not practical to take that tree down solo. Not safe either (goes without saying actually). As far as safety to climb, I wouldn't worry much about it from what can be seen in those pictures. Oak is pretty tough, even when dead. Just don't sideload it. Work around that decayed branch union carefully.

Find another tree company to do the job and make 500 on the referral. Beats killing yourself.

Most people will only call to have a tree removed when it's dead, so climbing dead things will become common. Also, you can rent a lift to do the job, you don't need to give the work away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Guys it's just the limb!! I'm a lil 1 man operation I WISH I had full removals on my schedule (well wish I had more I do have 2 medium sized Laurel Oaks tomorrow)

Because I'm small, and have to take the debris to my f150 & to the dump to toss it outta my truck, I don't seek jobs of "dead tree in middle of empty backyard, easy to fell", those aren't worthwhile for me*, I seek "danger limbs" as my bread&butter, a limb is looking low to the roof/poolcage/etc and I'm knocking (if seeking work, thankfully referrals & facebook have kept me full the past 2mo, haven't knocked/tree-hunted for at least that long now, probably should again!) Still in my 1st year solo and am (as of the past weeks) wanting to get more real removals because I finally feel confident in my speed & ability but yeah this thread, that sketchy dead limb, that tree is just fine & not being removed it's just a big dead limb right over the house, thing'll fall sooner than later with the conks so near its base (I didn't go drawing lines on the pic since the dead limb is sticking-out at the camera & is the only dead limb visible, a re-viewing of the pic will show you what I mean!)
My intent is more to setup 1->3 anchoring points, for multiple contact-points for each piece of that limb, and basically limbwalk it while keeping as much weight on my line as possible (would be setting the "lower on limb" rigging lines as I limbwalked to the end, IE the bullrope that be used for the middle & end of that dead limb would actually be placed&tightened as I was still making my way out to the end of the branch to begin my cuts out there (yes I have more than enough rope & anchors for this, will be using polydyne bullrope and ringed anchors + a safebloc anchor as the primary/terminal)

Guys it's just the limb!! I'm a lil 1 man operation I WISH I had full removals on my schedule

It takes a minute to realize that people can't read your mind over the internet. If we are going to talk about trees and tree work online we need to be precise with our wording ...OR SOMEONE DIES! (not always) ;)

you said: "Oak out back, reaches over roof from the rear-left of the house, thing isn't just dead it's the worst dead I've been tasked w/ removing with targets below it: " how is that to be interpreted?

Last edited:
More than once I have advised a customer they needed to find someone with a bucket truck to do a limb that was very dead and past the point where it might be unsafe to rig it...or sometimes there just was not good rigging points, TIP's above the dead limb to make it reasonable. What you show might be doable via rope and rigging but a lift or bucket truck takes some guesswork out of it. Limbwalking any of that might shake it enough to break off the ends and damage the house.

Pay attention to the 'still quiet voice' that is telling you this one may be one too tricky.
You have a good plan but you have some 'buts', otherwise you wouldn't have come here for a chat.
I'd be concerned about bits failing and falling before getting them rigged properly.

If it all goes pear shaped, how will you cope in the aftermath, is your insurance good, do you have the skills to fix stuff, and even if you could, what would that do to your reputation?
Sometimes, discretion is the better part of valour, rent a lift or pass it on to a crew who can do it with a lift, live to bid another day.

I'm nobody, but I'm not seeing it. Only thing I can add, is I just saw a dead oak shed a pretty big limb. Tree didn't really look that bad for a dead oak, but it still dropped a big limb in the drive. I'd be very reluctant to put any weight on the limb. If I couldn't do it 'no touch', I wouldn't do it, but again, I'm nobody.

Just did a big limb off a lift, about 8" of oak. Definately the right call. No good climb or rigging points above it. Looked sketchy from the ground. Out over a roof. When I went up with the lift, took a closer look and gave it a little shake. Death wobble extraordinary. Levi was watching and gave a "holy shit" over the head set. Part of the deal was in spect the tree to make a kill or try to save decision. Happier I did it from a lift. Tons of cavities and rot hard to see from ground. Going to try and schedule a crane for it. Dropped a bunch of trees there so we'll be able to take some decent picks. Thing leans out over the highway.
I had to rent this lift from home Depot. So about 1200 for the week. Regular rental yard (closer) had machines down waiting on parts. About the same price. 8 hours of drive time on this one though for move in and out fees.
By the day, about 400 otherwise.

Back