snap cut

How does one take a pic of a snap cut?

What part of "snap cut" is eluding you? It's pretty much self explanatory.

A drop cut/snap cut, like on a horizontal limb? a standing snap cut on vertical piece of wood that you are going to grab break and throw? or a step cut snap cut used in felling like what murphy teaches?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
yep.......small chunks 2 - 3', vertical peices, bout 10 - 20 lbs each.

Sorry no pics, but the smaller the gap - the less the hold.

Can be used on horizontal or leaning wood too - some people turn it into an art

I wish I was better at that art...Never crushed anything when doing it on a horizontal limb but have come close, had to almost catch it as I was putting my saw away in the bucket. Its a fine line between it breaking by its self and the piece being a bitc* to break off. Makes me a little nervous when using the cut over something breakable or valuable. I find I use them most when doing bucket work, at least on horizontal limbs.

ON vertical wood it is easy, trial and error. Cut from one side a bit over half way through cut from the other side... more overlap less space between cuts easier to break. Less overlap bigger gap harder to break.

On horizontal wood/branches I use it to make it fall flat, no grabbing-breaking-tossing. undercut till it almost pinches move it back and top cut till it falls flat.

you don't realize how heavy, even a small 2' peice, is, until you get your hands on it and wiggle it off. there's alot of potential energy ready to go.

I snap cut a small branch once, the guy in the bucket yells "heyhey' I am on the rope I turn around he points behind me, I turn..yep falling right towards the roof. I was MF'n him all day, had he not been like 'heyehy' I wouldnt have turned around!

oh if you watch this video... at the end I snap cut and throw all the trunk wood. 5:00 onward is all snap cuts.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/B5WCyCE7aUg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

First snap cut I ever made took my saw right out of the tree and planted it like a flower in the dirt. That has a way of helping a guy do it right next time.

great vid. also, what Bernham has said before, that using the top of the bar for the last cut to pack to kerf with chips and help keep the piece from setting down on the bar, makes sense.

I know you did Butch. You see everything. :) Likely it was the subject matter, little piddly trees that didnt garner any comment, rather than a lack of viewing :drink:

second cut should be closer to butt of branch or tree if any chance of piece 'letting go'...saw snatcher:O
I agree, but in this case, it couldn't be used to land the branch flat because the butt stays longer in place and the tip goes down first.
It's the way to go for the rounds or short logs though.

True, but frequently the tip slows down due to windage drag and the butt catches up...flatish landings result if the drop distance is in the sweet zone.

To the OP ... there's a fairly good and simple explanation-illustration of the snap-cut in The Art and Science of Practical Rigging (Donzelly & Lilly, p13).

I agree, but in this case, it couldn't be used to land the branch flat because the butt stays longer in place and the tip goes down first.
It's the way to go for the rounds or short logs though.

For clarity, there is a snap cut and a drop cut, which is a variation on the snap cut.

The snap cut is two overlapping, offset cuts which can stay in place to be broken off.

A drop cut is a snap cut that releases itself.

If you have a horizontal branch and snap cut with the bar vertically, the piece May stay in place, allowing you to put your saw away, grab it with one or both hands, snap off and guide to the ground. If the snap cut is done with the bar oriented horizontally, a drop cut, the piece will drop off on its own when strength of the remaining wood is less than gravity.

Back