Small fid for 3/16 amsteel?

stikine

Treehouser
I want to replace the wire rope on my chainsaw winch with equivalent diameter amsteel (3/16) and I will need to put on an eye splice with a thimble on the end. The smallest commercial fids seem to be 1/4 and I assume that would be too large? If that's the case I have seen some made from knitting needles which I could probably find. What diameter and fid length would work for 3/16?

I'm sure there's a right way to do it, but i would likely try a welding rod. Constrictor hitch the end on using some thread then pull it back thru. Might even do a little hook on it with a cutoff wheel if it slips.

I want to replace the wire rope on my chainsaw winch with equivalent diameter amsteel (3/16) and I will need to put on an eye splice with a thimble on the end. The smallest commercial fids seem to be 1/4 and I assume that would be too large? If that's the case I have seen some made from knitting needles which I could probably find. What diameter and fid length would work for 3/16?
Just a note, Austin...any winch that has run steel cable much will likely show some wear and tear on the edges of the spool and around the fairlead. No problem for the cable...but even tiny rough spots will eat up Amsteel pretty fast.

So go over all those parts with a fine-toothed comb where the cable/rope has running contact, and smooth off any that you can find. You want a very smooth finish.

How about a wrap or two of electrical tape and walk that through the inside of the braid. Or did you want the fid for measuring?
Never mind on the last bit I reread the original post better.

I got a very nice wire fid from Ronstan D-Splicer in Holland. They have three sizes all designed for very small hollow braids especially dyneema.
You can buy the three sizes with plastic handle or get a kit with an aluminum handle that fits the three “needles”
IMG_8600.jpeg

Back