SAKA knee ascender...first impressions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh, Richard I need 2 of them foot straps for SAKA...how much..

whats your paypal, will send $$

Forgot to post this here......Me going up ponderosa pine for deadwood using the "SAKA"....100ft TIP

The elevation was 4800ft. so I was starting to breath a bit hard at top....lol

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/a7wRsxjbcfE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Heck that ain't nothin come with me one day and I'll show you breathing hard after a 100-foot ascent.

Need to get SAKA or HAAS soon. Just can't decide on which one.

Do you have a small ascender? Elastic cord and a foot loop...a stop-gap measure. I cut my handle off a petzl for my floating ascender a couple years ago. Haven't upgraded, as it works well enough, and I owned that gear already.

Bump

A shout out to Mr Mumford!
I messaged him on his Facebook about needing some new bungee for my SAKA. An oak stub nicked it and it was getting tired. He directed me to his Climbing Innovations site where i could order straight from him. Also noticed he has tons of replacement parts there as well.
Nice job sir and thank you. You make a great product. :thumbup:

Great guy and great innovator. I still use my original SAKA and have a new one unopened. Also a SAKA mini unopened. The Mag Throwbag is a neat throwbag that I keep on my saddle in a bag. Comes in handy when you need to set a life support line in a bad spot. I've learned a lot from his channel. A lot of his videos are almost over my head and I have to watch them a few times. It's a great resource for seeing break tests of rope and hitch cord too.

Good bump, good stuff!

Ok here's a Q- I have and use a wraptor whenever I feel the need. Do I need a knee ascender too?

Cory, if you had a rope walking system with a knee, foot and multisender of your choice, you would use it all the time. You will use it at times when the wraptor would be nice but seems an overkill.

yeah, makes sense. Plus ya pretty much gotta have it for srt, true?

You don't have to have a knee ascender for srt. You can advance with just a foot ascender. You can also use just a foot ascender and get a wrap on your opposite foot with the rope and stand on your foot that already has the ascender. As you would do when footlocking. That helps take the torque off of that knee. But the SAKA makes it so much easier. Just like walking up a ladder.

No. You can foot-lock an srt line or use a 3:1 haul back in advance of the multisender. SRT can be done with very little but a rope walking setup is so nice that it is the way most will eventually go.

I’m waiting on some sewing needles to be delivered and I’ll post a knee ascender I’m making out of a Camp Turbo foot ascender. I think it’s gonna work well and look good. I think the Turbo Foot is still 50$ at Sherrill.

I got an original HAAS, it works well, but I’d rather have a SAKA or something with a low profile foot loop that I can leave on. The rope on the old HAAS gets stepped on if I’m wearing any boots besides logger heels.

Once again, as you all know, I'm maybe 2 percent of the climber you are. I think of it like this... when you are climbing ddrt, when you wanna go back up, you walk your feet up the trunk and start hip thrusting. While this is normal, it's relatively inefficient for the human body. You are using your grip strength, arm, and back muscles to jerkily lift your body weight. With srt, you are climbing the rope like a ladder, using leg muscles to ascend. This doesn't sound like much, but it is, and there's more. A knee ascender doesn't really get in the way surprisingly, so clipping both to run up 20 feet becomes the way to go, where in spreading trees that's the majority of the work after working a lead, so i can toss my grapple hook to swing out to the next one, or redirect.

The cool thing with ddrt is the ability to easily climb back from awkward limb walks with your arms if needed. But with srt you can easily convert to a rads setup to do the same thing with a 3 to 1, so it's even easier. I use a handled ascender with a revolver, just clip it on, and clip the tail and I'm good to go. I also use it rather than just grabbing the rope, running blaze i find it's easier on my hands (grinder use over the years has me at the starting point of carpal tunnel, I'm to where it feels like I'm getting shocked a few times a day). Tending slack is also quicker and easier, way less of it.

Good bunch of info there, thanks.

Yeah 09, mr. soft sell, you're starting to sound like you probably would come in third in the Illinois climbing comp!! ;)

That is crazy re carpal symptoms

Kyle, do you know the trick of setting a Croll and a revolver carabiner on your SRT ropåe before going walkabout on a long branch.
Then you pass the tail end of your rope through the carabiner and have a 2to1 for going back.

When I started SRT I would put the 3:1 on for limbwalking returns...years on I don't bother any more. But...my long lanyard it set up for ddrt ( I think they call it MRS now) so that gets used to haul me back if needed.

Back