Sailing

Now, go get a canoe, a battery, a trolling motor, a cooler full of beer and see the hillbilly equivalent :/:

Extra points for fishing poles, the biggest fish basket they sell, slingshots, trapping gear, a shotgun, a bow fishing setup, bank poles, or trotlines :D

Sail power is on the verge of exceeding the speed of wind itself. Sounds crazy

The first few minutes of this will explain why I say that.

There's a ton of follow up vids proclaiming and disclaiming the conclusions of the results the vid in this post presents.

" Those things are next level. I've seen them up close and live. Jaw dropping. "

Tech just keeps improving. Breaking old ideas about theory of physics

'I did not feel comfortable!'
Out of their mouths, they are milliseconds from disaster. Incredible.

Wow! It’s amazing what is possible these days.
I recently watched the documentary of the 14 year old from the Netherlands who solo-circumnavigated.

A 14-Year-Old Girl Sailed Around the World — And She Brought a Camera - https://time.com/894/maidentrip

From 5 yrs old to 7 yrs old I was sailing a heavy, old, cat boat on a 40 acre lake in Michigan, then a friend’s family got a Hobie cat, and he and I were in heaven (except the one day we pitch-poled it!). After that it was endless hours teaching campers to sail on Alcort Sailfish and Sunfish at our family’s day camp. On those summer weekends I would head across the state to Pentwater, Michigan and sail on the 75 ft “Northern Light”, taking tourists out on Lake Michigan for sunset sails.

In 1983 I met two brothers Ed and Dave Minch (Dave was an architect) who had built their own 32 ft double-ended Wessail-style sailboat at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay in Deltaville, VA. Ed and I sailed it up to St Michaels, MD over three days.

One of my favorite sailing memories was after I was divorced from spouse #1, when she had skipped town for three months, leaving me with our 3yr old and 3 month old.
David (the friend I still help out with crane jobs) and I drove to Michigan with the children. We arrived after dark, put the kids to bed, and we each took a Sunfish out on the lake. Laying with our heads by the mast, feet operating the tiller, and a hand on the sheet I coordinated our traverses of the lake by the stars overhead, calling out ‘come about’ right before hitting the shore in the deep end of the lake, and right before the sand bar near the shallow end of the lake, judging the speed and distance from my many years of sailing the lake. We spent several hours sailing and talking of life, what had been, and what might be…

Ahhh...Sunfish sailing! Many a happy hr spent in one. The World Champion Sunfish sailor was for many years from Bermuda, Penny Simmons, then Malcolm Smith.
We used to take our dinghy out at night, it was rigged with a modified sunfish rig, just ghost along in the warm summer air, stars, phosphorescence, happy times.

Back