Saddles

maggies dad

TreeHouser
What saddle do you use, and why? I am having yet some more back problems, and I would like to get a lighter saddle. I currently have a cougar, which is a nice saddle but very heavy. The Sequoia is lighter, as is the glide. I climb both srt and drt so that would be a consideration. I want gear loops, but dont need 500 biners on my rig. I just want something simple and light that will do the job and not fall apart in 6 months.
Thanks All
Jeff

If you're having back trouble look into the Ergovation, its as heavy as a cougar but the lumbar support is supposed to be amazing. It was designed with the help of a physical therapist, and it has the best lumbar support of any saddle out there.

I flew the ergo for a bit, looking for a remedy for back troubles. It is extremely supportive, but didn't go well with my body type (tall and skinny). Switched to the treemotion and couldn't be more happy. The lower d's are the sh!t.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the info rangerdanger I didnt know that. I need something with alot of support. The doc just found that I have degeneration in the lumbar and neck area, and a bulged disc in my lumbar. And as iceing on the cake I have a compression fracture in the lumbar as well. Then just for fun I blew out my SI joint at work. Hope to be ack to work by Tuesday, But thinking I need to rethink some of the equip I use and the way I do things.
SimplyArbor, It may work better for me cause Iam 5ft 9 and slightly "fluffy" I ll give it a look. Thanks

I used a Komet Butterfly for years and loved it. Recently changed to a Tree Motion. Very different of course so I'm learning how to sit in it. It feels really good, when it's not cracking my nuts!

The harness sounds like one part, as you say. Sounds like you need to be sure to use replaceable equipment (ropes, or at least slings to catch falling tree parts, material handlers on the ground, etc). Massage therapy, chiropractic if applicable, stretching, etc, as prescribed by a medical professional. Good luck.

I like the look of the Buckingham Rebellion at a lower price point than the Ergovation. A co-worker has the Ergovation and I dont see it as 'long term' durable but thats just my opinion, not fact.

Switched to the treemotion and couldn't be more happy. The lower d's are the sh!t.

I feel the same. For some serious extra cushioning/support you can put one of those blood stopper packs on the back and tighten it up. I have the comfort back pad in mine and find it very comfortable. The only downside is the cost of it all.

New Tribe saddles ride higher and might be worth checking out. Hopefully some guys who fly in them can give you some feedback on how well they support the back.

Sounds like your back has been taking a beating. Good luck healing up. Glad to see it's not stopping you from climbing!

I was going to type something, but now my head is spinning from my meds, be back in a bit.

Not a huge fan of new tribe here, personally not a fan of the saddles at all, my experience with them has always been bad.

I love my tree motion, been rocking it for more than 3 years now, I also have the comfort pad installed on mine. And agreed, the lower dees are the bees knees, I love them. Use them full time now for my lanyard.

New Tribe guy here. I love mine and I think they are very comfy. As far as the back support for goes.... I guess it's the same as any other saddle that I have used. I have had lower back problems since I was 13. Nothing like yours but my New Tribes have never added to my pain. I recently climbed in Wesspurs Spartan (Ergo Lite) and the support was similar. No real noticeable difference.

My two cents ... although it is not my style, at the ski area I use the Petzl with shoulder srtaps, shoulder straps may help with you situation

Ok, I am back. Altissimus I have thought about suspenders, I had some on my old saddle, a buckingham master. I liked them ok but I think if they were made out of leather instead of stretchy fabric they would work better. I may have to get out my old saddle building tools and give it a try. I have been looking at every website and review I can find, and it seems like one of the best reviewed saddles is the Tree Motion. I like the ideal of how customizable it is, but at 5lbs it is still heavy. My concern with a lighter weight saddle is that it will fall apart. Keep sending suggestions guys, I am open to anything. I may try to make some suspenders while I am just sitting around waiting to get better. It dont cost much, and I wont be so bored!

Im using a Seqouia right now, it has great back support for how lightly built it is.
Petzl has certainly put some thought into the designs they produce and it is reflected in their(?) everyday use.
I climbed in a Navaho saddle as well, and for the price, it is hard to beat that saddle if you are looking for a straight ahead saddle for take downs, I found the Nav very comfy as well, albeit a simpler saddle, still a excellent piece of gear.
I suffer from a tinge of lower back pain as well and have zero complaints about either Petzl saddle mentioned.
Since I have gone over to the dark side and started using the lighter built Petzl's, I find it hard to wear the old Weaver/Buck type, my mate at work his saddle must weight at least twenty pounds(two steel ladder clips for his saw....lol thats like 5 pounds). I pick it up and I am just like WTF ?????? Why ???
Better him than me....lol.

Well, I think I have some new exercises that are going to help the back, but I still think that not wearing a 5.5 lb saddle all the time is going to extend my backs life. I think I am down to the sequoia, but I still really like the ergo and the tree motion. One question on the tree motion, when you have a saw on it and what ever else you carry does it tend to pull down, or does having a taller back and the extra pad help it stay in place better? My cougar tends to slide down a bit not matter how tight I pull the gut strap.
Thanks
Jeff

I haven't spent any time using the Sequoia but my friend tells me it doesn't hold a big saw so well. Take that for what it's worth, which isn't much. My TreeMotion sags just ever so slightly with a big saw.

I ride a New Tribe Nikosi (low rise version) and its awesome! I had a tengu before and will never go back to it because it rides in my ribs. the low rise nikosi stays down on my hips and out of my ribs which is very ergonomic for the back. I had an ergovation and found nothing ergonomic about it, im 5'8 170lbs. maybe it was just my body type that it didn't fit. the only thing the nikosi is missing are the lower side D's like on the treemotion.

I have found if I cinch the belt up just a bit tighter than normal, the Petzl's hang bigger saws OK.
I hang of the middle back attachment point, I hate the feeling of a bigger saw pulling you one side or the other. Smaller saws, whatever is most convenient, but anything bigger then 40CC is hanging of the back.
If you really want the best support for hanging bigger saws you go to a proper top, be it some husky proper fitting suspenders or a saddle top such as the Petzl, and Buckingham offerings.
Good luck, if you do go the Petzl route, youll be happy.
Stay safe all and have fun.

Ive been flying a Sequia for about 5 years now and have no complaints. Did make a couple of mods here recently which have really improved its function IMO, Ill try to get some pics and post them

Quabinclimber, How bulky is the front of the New Tribe? It looks like there is alot up front.?? I have never seen one in person, so I am flying blind with this question.
PCtree, I would love to see the mods, I am always interested in how people improve their gear.
Graiskye, I have a pretty cool ideal for some suspenders in my head, I just need to get to the leather supply to pickup the right stuff. Then I have to dig my saddle and tack tools out of the shop. It has been a few years but I think I can make some pretty cool ones. Ill post a pic of them when I get them done.
Thanks guys!
Jeff

Back