Rear rated saddle connection

Treeaddict

Treehouser
Was working a tree today out on a leader where the climb line was to my back the whole time. I got the idea afterwards that maybe I could have used the rear ring rather than my bridge. Lanyard on lower d’s and climb line in the back. Does that make sense? I’ve never seen it done so figured it would be good to ask.

Attachments

• A880D551-DFF6-47DE-BFA8-C89885C1DEEE.jpeg
    A880D551-DFF6-47DE-BFA8-C89885C1DEEE.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
If it’s on your back you are working blind so to speak. Being able to turn and twist is how the bridge came to exist. Try doing the same thing in a saddle without a bridge. You will find it very limiting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
All of that makes sense. It seemed like it would clean up my front but I suppose the cost would be too great if I came off my perches.

Maybe cleaning up your front means to down size your front. Keep it simple and light. Minimal kit actually streamlines the climber.
Example, in oaks, it is often faster to climb up and prune the limbs by handsaw up close and personal than it would be to be 10 feet away with a pole saw.
Once upon a time, I had a pulley on my bridge, made for multiple connection points. A bridge is a multiple connection point. You can connect into the sliding ring on the bridge, or to the bridge itself. The ring just orientates the ascender better for me. And planning the work so you know what to take with you.

Ahh, the KISS principal. Good wisdom indeed. I had a swivel and ring on the bridge at first. Swivel got in the way so off it went. I consider myself a minimalist when it comes to stuff on the saddle. It’s so frustrating when all that extra stuff gets caught up on everything it comes in contact with😠

Gotta at least see what it feels like even if not used in a climb. Maybe tie into it tomorrow standing on a bucket and kick the bucket out with someone there to push the Akimbo down if I can’t reach it 🤣

So that’s what Ariel rescue is?! Gotta say I don’t think I’ll ever need to use it. The odds of me having to pull a fictitious character off the bottom of the sea floor are,what, like 100,000 to 1 🤪🤣

Which of course isn't a daily thing. I'm talking about going ok, I'm gonna put the device that keeps me from falling to my death on my back where i can't even scratch.

I’m too set in my ways to change to it now, but I’ve heard of folks really digging that rear ring to attach a chainsaw lanyard. More friendly for the ambidextrous folks.

SOP rear centre connection for the chainsaw lanyard, hitched up short on the caritool on the side

Back