Rope wrench revelations....

treesandsurf

Treehouser
I've been following all the SRT hype for a couple years now but never really got into actually working a tree SRT. For long ascents I'd either Rads or frogwalk up and then switch to DRT. Well I finally decided to give the rope wrench a real try and have been using it pretty regularly for the last few weeks. I gotta say I'm really starting understand all the hype. We just did a large monkeypod and I zig zagged my way through that tree like nobody's business :lol: I love being able to run your rope all through the crown and never change the friction. For large spreading trees it's really a dream.

I can get pretty set in my ways especially when it comes to climbing systems, I like to do it my own way that feels natural. So the transition took some effort. I know there's been a lot of threads on SRT but figured I would share my new found enthusiasm for this climbing style.

jp:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
On a completely different note here's a cool shot from a friend footlocking at the hawaii comp last month and a photo of the master's challenge. I placed fourth in the master's after missing (completely forgetting) about one of the bells. The srt switch actually came after watching Jared Abrojena break down the tree at the end of the day using his SRT rig setup. He moved from one side to the other in a few minutes transitioning his line through the canopy. It got me thinking....

Attachments

• danny footlock.jpg
    danny footlock.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 2012 HTCC 4x6_0002.jpg
    2012 HTCC 4x6_0002.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 53
+1 height is cool but loooong limb walks is way cooler ... would LUV to climb that BEAUTIFUL TREE ...

AMAZING ... TRU DAT :D

What a tree.
I would love to have something like that growing in my field.

Yeah that's one of the biggest monkeypods in the state, the species here tend to have a LOT of spread

Yeah I want to try the hitch hiker for sure. There's a lot of subtle changes and it makes you change your style somewhat but so far I see the benefits outweighing the downsides...

It seems every tree I go up now, I'm thinking, 'I wonder what this would be like SRT'?
I did a big magnolia yesterday, like five leaders about 35'...back and forth, up and down...I could see the advantage in the consistent friction going out, still wondering about the coming back and up, where Ddrt you just haul yourself back up...one day...

Yeah Jerry I really did resist it for some reason, I guess because it's so easy to get comfortable in one system and not want to change.

Bermy, the main reason I resisted the SRT was the whole tending slack and the 2to1 advantage when coming back from limbwalks and small adjustments in the tree. That is still a slight downside of SRT but the ability to move through the canopy and have your rope redirected over multiple limbs really makes climbing a breeze especially in really spread trees. I was making transitions across major leaders in a monkeypod by simply throwing my line across to the next lead pulling it back and swinging over, whereas in DRT I would of had to downclimb launch over upclimb and then either add a re-direct or change tie-in point. Hope that makes sense....

Yeah...kinda jp...

So if I have to go out on a branch (and want to come back that way), set up a 3:1 first, then the closest way to the next point is not by going back to the point of the pulley, but by continuing out or over, then the 3:1 becomes snagged up just like and original 2:1 would have...assuming the way back is along the original route of the rope.

Crikey, I could 'what if' this to death, one day I just have to get some kit and try it!
I'll just keep reading what those who actually do it have to say!

Plan the work, then work the plan.

If you decide to bail on your return from the limb walk, just pull your tail and leave your pulley and/ or 'biner in place on the rope and don't snag it up on the retrieval.

Not quite what I meant...but the videos you guys put up on the other thread have helped a lot.
I'll save the rest of my what if's until the time I can actually try it.

...resume normal programming...

P1080763.jpg
Not quite what I meant...but the videos you guys put up on the other thread have helped a lot.
I'll save the rest of my what if's until the time I can actually try it.

...resume normal programming...

Remember, you CAN actually try it. You can't make a midline attachable RW, but you can make one that functions in most all the ways out of a stick for a little bit or work, a very little bit of work, and two drill bits and a file.

that's exactly how I've been making short ascents while in the tree. For the initial all the way up ascent I use a frog walker and then ditch all the gear and footlock when making ascents while in the tree. Works great...

Found this Stein video, below. What do make of it ... no description, voice over or comment? Do you suppose it's just trying to show that a soft tether is fine?
???

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aDWwWPKTycM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah that's how I had the first one setup but it is a little humbug when switching to descend because the hitch locks up until you come down a few inches and the wrench engages.

Back