Why DRT?

Treeaddict

Treehouser
Once I “leaned” SRT, I’ve never used drt again on my main climb line. I still use it on my lanyard usually but that’s the extent of it. I have found the srt superior in every way - I’m an expert, you know😂. Wondering if anyone who is proficient in srt is still using drt in certain situations? What situations might those be?

Generally speaking, those who are good with both DdRT and SRT/MRS use whichever one is most effective in a given situation. I unfortunately don't do srt yet but afaik, DdRT is highly favored for crane work, for example.

Not me, but I think I saw a video once by Daniel Holliday of Climbing Arborist fame using a combination system in which he had an SRT line pulled up into the tree for ascent, and then hung a DdRT system off of the SRT rope using a hitch cord with a pulley on it for doing limb walks. I guess it makes it easier to pull yourself back in to center. If I'm recalling correctly. It has been a while. Tim.

Last edited:
Back and forth situation dependant. Why I use a devise that can do both.
Ascent SRT.
Limb walk SRT unless its a steep drooping limb and i might change over to Ddrt. Limb walk less friction needed, lots of limbs or redirects to spider down and back up to target work zones, SRT.
If I have a spreading crown where it will be faster to move my tie in Ddrt and stll often switch to SRT to limb walk.
Versitility and knowing what will work better for you in different circumstances will up your game, your comfort, your efficiency and prowness.

@Treeaddict;

Here's the link to the video I believe I recall seeing so long ago.

Also, I'm going to try to provide a link to Daniel's own website. I think the guy is absolutely brilliant. On his own website his videos are grouped by subject matter. I think he may be the only person on the internet who deliberately set out with a long term plan in mind to produce a comprehensive set of videos that teach a person how to try to climb and do tree work. Other folks produce videos in a more scattershot fashion, each video showing something they think is important. Daniel has produced a long series of videos that start at the knots needed and progress to climbing and rigging techniques. He is always pushing himself to learn more and to be a more capable climber, and all of his videos are free to watch and learn from. I think he's like an ambassador for the sport and occupation of climbing. Here is my attempt to post a link to his website.

Thanks for your patience with me. Tim

Edit: Please be aware that about the first forty seconds of his earlier videos have an intro that is probably too loud to safely listen to if you are wearing a headset. Turn the volume down to about half of normal until the intro is over.

Last edited:
I'm nobody, but my general intent is if I can set the line with a handthrow, I'll use an mrs system.

Main line SRT, lanyard (long) DRT.
I use a HH, so sometimes its just easier to do a small tree DRT, scramble up throw rope over and get to work.
I actually used my friction saver for the first time in years last week. Couldn't get my throwline where I wanted it for beans, was on a time critical dismantling job so I reverted to alternating main line and lanyard both DRT to climb up to the TIP. Set the FS and got to work DRT. I'd forgotten how secure it feels, sharing your weight on two lines.
Like Stephen said, tools in the toolbox, use when needed.

I have yet to see SRT be efficient from a crane tie in.
I will use SRT when I’m back in the tree, depending on what is left of the structure.

I've never done crane work, but...
Ddrt for adjusting up and down many times (climbline style) and work positioning (lanyard style, either on the bridge or on the Ds).
Ddrt for traversing ( leaders or trees), either for pulling if your travel has to be close to horizontal, or for releasing to recover the line easily from the previous TIP. Same for pulling yourself along or under a long limb, instead of limbwalking.
Ddrt to retrieve a remote high TIP (primary or secondary) if you don't want/have to go back up there.
Srt for access, long travel, choked line at long or close range, tall trees for the emergency exit, multiple successive TIP (bunch of spindles trees or tall sprouts, wide crown).

All that could be found in a single job.
That's why it's so usefull to have two climbing systems, each able to swap at will from one to the other style.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Tim, thanks for the links! I’ve seen quite a bit from Daniel of Climbing Arborist but don’t recognize that particular one. Sure it will be a great watch.

Sounds like quite a few of you are predominantly (95%) srt with drt on lanyards and thrown in sporadically. I can see it as the dominant choice for crane work for dropping into the tree. Hopefully I’ll get the opportunity to experience that type of removal.

Tree traversing does seem like another no brainer for drt. Hopefully something I’ll try soon.

The 3:1 return isn’t so much the strength but the angle of pulling the rope is easier
and lends to walking back as opposed to pulling then taking slack w device.

Watching the video I see myself base tie the blue line and go up the other side of blue line and work my way up….
I might be missing something.

I'll probably always be doubled rope. I enter most trees with a ladder, and use a pole to advance my tie in if I can't just rope assisted free climb up there. Most of my jobs are 50' trees or less. CWH (comfortable working height) of 20 to 30 feet. Central Canadian prairies don't get too many overly tall ones. I've a handled ascender if I ever had to footlock SRT but have only used it on a rec climb to see if I could. It was hard work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Do you guys/gals throw your knee ascender out of the tree (onto something soft, of course)after your main ascent? I’ve been doing that and it is one less thing to hang up on branches. I usually footlock if only a few feet gain needed. Foot ascender for longer runs. Heck, I’ve tossed my chest harness as well. No need to clip in on those shorter verticals.

Tim, thanks for the links! I’ve seen quite a bit from Daniel of Climbing Arborist but don’t recognize that particular one. Sure it will be a great watch.

Sounds like quite a few of you are predominantly (95%) srt with drt on lanyards and thrown in sporadically. I can see it as the dominant choice for crane work for dropping into the tree. Hopefully I’ll get the opportunity to experience that type of removal.

Tree traversing does seem like another no brainer for drt. Hopefully something I’ll try soon.

To your last point, largely that's the case, IMO.

A retrievable trunk- choke on a spar, or with a crotch, can avoid friction that fights a natural crotched DdRT line being adjusted as you progress in the transfer.

I used to chuck my knee ascender down, now once I've taken it off my rope and foot I clip it around the left side of my harness under everything out of the way.

This is a very useful discussion! The title is so ironic since only 10 years there were people on the forums asking “why SRT?” I keep my chest harness and both knee and foot ascender handy because sometimes I need to go back up.

@Treeaddict;
Also, I'm going to try to provide a link to Daniel's own website. ....
I think he may be the only person on the internet who deliberately set out with a long term plan in mind to produce a comprehensive set of videos that teach a person how to try to climb and do tree work. Other folks produce videos in a more scattershot fashion, each video showing something they think is important. ....
Guilty as charged but with a little explanation. My videos are not well done, I am not a video guy and only learned what I needed to share ideas I came up with about climbing. There was no organization to them because I did not know what was coming next. I only felt a desire to share what came to me from the universe and never intended it to go much further than to share an enthusiasm for something I was enjoying and discovering. So, with that said, I truly apologize for the lack of organization
I do appreciate those that do great videos, get the sound right, look good etc. Just not me.

Back