Rope Runner Pro

Don't be a dork, Rich...just buy it. Otherwise, you'll lose sleep for endless nights second-guessing..."I shoulda bought it...".

:D

Thank gawd I ordered last nite at 9pm right after I read your post.

I got a feeling you’ll love it and there’s gonna be very little complaining about it all around. I trust reviews from Dave and it’s still the same functionality as the old RopeRunner with improvements. I’m never parting with my CMI one. I’d buy another if the price is right and we may see a few folks parting with their old Runners. The Slic pins demand a bit of dexterity and the tending point kinda sucks, and it’s not very comfortable on the fingers when descending but not painful either. Those bits aside, it’s an absolutely amazing device, so smooth on ascent and descent.

For what it’s worth, Taiwan has seriously stepped up their quality game in the last decade or two. Decent knives and tools anyways and according to Kevin, fine bicycles. I love my Gearwrenches and the modern day Craftsman tools are as good as when they were made in US. I’m usually leary about climbing gear from there, but that’s because often there’s no brand to hold accountable if something fails. If there’s defects or poor materials or anything like that, it would be very bad for Notch’s business. As young as that company is, it could ruin them if they marketed anything that couldn’t perform admirably in this business.

From what I can gather, much of the hate Notch gets is because of some overseas production and from folks that got a bee in their bonnet about TreeStuff and Sherrill. Haven’t really heard many complaints about the gear they’re putting out. They’ll probably grow and keep putting out specialty tools designed solely for tree work.

@pantheraba

Arbor Plex and RRP is a match like a Yugo and Ferrari.

No need to make stuff so hard.

Downgrade that arbor Plex to rigging, IMO, and use a good climbing line.

You can frame a house with a 16oz hammer, just going to be harder and more time consuming.

Bouncy ropes can saw back and forth on an unprotected TIP- redirect.

I still use my original 2 ropes, Arbor Plex, cheapest I could buy. One for climbing, one for rigging.
I got on a better climbing rope fast, and have two rigging hanks of AP for light duty rigging and pull overs.

Been wanting to ask about Arborplex, and what it's like to climb on. Wesspur used to sell it as dual purpose line, but now it's just listed in rigging. It sucks for drt climbing?

@SeanKroll My Arborplex is from lots of years back....I had set it on a shelf out of the way for years now. I was hoping to get some more climbing use from it with modern methods. And Kyle is right....I think it was Arborplex that I graduated to when I went from a tautline to a Blakes hitch...using a Blakes was uber modern to me at the time. I was in a new world when I used a split tail and Blake's hitch and could disconnect the split tail at my saddle to bypass a limb instead of having to untie and re-tie a hitch.

When i first started climbing, being self taught, i started on arborplex. Including switching to srt on a zk2 rope wrench. Even using 10 mm oceans, the hitch was almost non existant :lol: went to a climbing seminar, the dudes quickly informed me that i needed to change ropes, so i bought some blaze because that's what they used. Complete night and day difference. It's harder to grab and that sucks, but it runs so much smoother it's the way to go. I use my handled ascender as a grab more to try to save my hands, or will setup a 3 to 1, but neither option really adds any time to anything (with how slow i am of course! :lol:).

I've been thinking about my use of the 3 to 1, and i mainly use it while working sideways on limb walks. I've come to the conclusion that this is mainly because i hate the extra slack of my long vt hitch. I'm thinking the mechanical will have far less sit back, so i won't need it there. I also use it to do hip thrusting, which honestly would be better to just lose entirely and just use the ascenders.

The bridge adjuster thing is off label, but i still use it. Richard Mumford style. He tested it, it was failing at the other end lol

😳...looks like I will have to research that too. I have been pondering an adjustable bridge on my MCRS to help with SRT

I only use it so my climbing system can be placed above my chest box. That way i don't even have to hold myself upright as I'm top heavy. It's also good for ddrt hip thrusting, you just pull the tail and it winches you up.

Edit note: most full on rope walker setups you see use only ascenders, and so they have 2 life support tethered ones because you can't trust a single ascender for life support. I run a foot ascender, a homemade knee ascender that i clip onto the chest box (longer so the bungie works better), and use my climbing system as my sole life support. Since you absolutely must have your life support above the chest box, an adjustable bridge allows me to do that instantly.

Once I'm where i want (or if i need to rest, sit in harness to inspect something, e.t.c) all i need to do is sit down and I'm in my climbing system. I can remove ascenders and rappel immediately (wasp encounter or the like), just reaching to face level. To switch to normal length working mode bridge, i sit down, unclip chest box, then stand up and pull slack on the bridge, then I'm good. It has seemed to be the easiest and best solution to that, because since I'm top heavy the chest box makes a world of difference. Hands free climbing a ladder, where you can push off limbs and other stuff while going up. I often gently use my hands above it, but it's mainly just out of habit and they don't actually do much. For shorter accents I'll forgo the chest roller, but if I'm getting tired it's there.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have a Rollclip Z triact for the SCAM retrievable redirect but this is different. The rope grabbing component on the Roll-n-Lock can be locked open, so it can be set on the rope and just follow you down a limb. Lock it in place and give it a flick and it will slide up the line allowing you to use a 3:1 without using tons of extra rope.

The only caveat is that it can slip on some ropes if not set by hand first. Still, a really useful tool.

It'd be cool if I knew what yall were going on about but maybe I'll capiche once I get some srt experience.

Reading Ruel's list of every day cimb gear in a tree reminded me I'd gotten very fond of the swivel on the ZZ, had never used one before and became a fan for sure. Wonder if I'll miss it on the RRP. I suppose it is fairly easily added though that will be a bit of an increase in the length or height of the set up

Back