Rope Runner Pro

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
On today's trees I ran the Pro on an old Vortex line. I have had trouble in the past trying to get other mechanicals to work on this rope. It is big, fat, soft and has a lot of grip. It is a great rope in hand and is excellent at knot holding. Unfortunately it can cause too much drag to run smoothly in mechanicals so has been relegated to HH2 use.

With the top bollard set at full open, the Rope Runner Pro worked very well. Very light, insignificant amount of drag on ascent. Light touch on the bird got things moving easily and modulation of speed was intuitive right from the start. Easy bombing and swings.

Notice that the numbered index marks for the bollard are not just on the outside front edge, but wrap around on the inside as well and it has an index dimple on the bollard itself. This all makes for easily repeatable settings.

Attachments

• IMG_1159-1.jpg
    IMG_1159-1.jpg
    580.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
What keeps it in place? Is it tension only, or does it have keyed grooves?

The bollard has an oval raised ridge that fits into the oval slot in the bird. You loosen the adjusting bolts' pictured', one on each side, slide it where you want it to be and than tighten the bolts.

That's impressive...Dave puts RRPro on a rope he just about says, but not quite, that he expects to find it challenged to function well on, reading between the lines. And yet, it does. I say again, that is more than impressive performance.

And I'll assert again, that when DMc gives reviews of any of the new DRT/SRT mechanicals or hybrid mechanical/friction hitch units we're seeing on the market these days...I would advise anyone interested in any of them to pay close attention to his opinions.

Last edited:
I got in the habit of doing that a bunch, mainly because it's so easy to do with the wrench. I have a handled ascender with a revolver that i use, so it's on/off in a couple seconds. I guess you could just as easily just clip a bight above the rr to your saddle, and then use the rr on the tail part. You would have to watch your rope length, lanyard in to set it, and couldn't simply pull the tail to descend fully, but could escape it and go back to single rope with just a lanyard easily enough. Or maybe since it tends perfectly and effortlessly the need isn't there as much. Does it self feed with a throw ball on the tail? I somehow envision mechanicals tending that easily :lol:

Can’t that happen with any device? Maybe it’s just a bit more pronounced with the RR. This was brought up with the original as well

Not that I have experienced. All other multisenders I have used, the Petzl Rig, BDB, Unicender, HH1 and 2, Rope Wrench, and Akimbo, do very well when set in a 3:1 haul-back.

Most climbers I know or have talked to are not overly dependent on haul-backs. I will use one sometimes, generally to simplify returning from a downward sloping branch tip.

This can be worked around by just being aware of what is going on or redirecting the tail away from the spine, but it is a distinction that should be noted and understood.

So... for any of you that are wondering what my final thoughts are on this newest member of the multisender lineup... what a fantastic tool!

I know that it is in many ways a copy of the original but what Kevin and Notch have come up with is so much more refined in both feel and function. The quality of construction is obvious with attention to even the smallest details.

The multitude of small changes add up. The RRP has the feel of a well broken in RR right out of the box. All of the high wear parts are replaceable!

So does this mean that I will be selling my Akimbo or that my HH2 will be collecting dust in the bottom of the tool bag? No way! They both still work and are both excellent tools in their own ways. But now I have a third choice and I absolutely love that the tree industry has produced so many extraordinary and quality tools. IMG_1164-1.jpg

well said and thank you for the in depth review. looks like the ole HH got a polish for the photo shoot !

Thanks guys. Yeah, that particular HH2 is a pre-production model that had no finish at all. An hour or so in front of a buffing wheel took care of that.

I hope I was able to convey, that while the new Rope Runner Pro is an amazing tool, it does not make all others obsolete. It and each of the others have specific strong points that will benefit certain climbing styles and situations.

Here is a user checkpoint. This is a snap shot from the RRPs users instructions. The referenced 'lubrication port' does not exist on the one I received. Furthermore, what little lube was used before shipping, if there even was any, dissipated quickly. Audible squeaks and a scratchy feeling movement appeared quickly.

Instructions call for 3-in-one mineral oil. I used a high quality bicycle chain lubricant instead, applied at both top and bottom pivot point openings of the spine. That made a world of difference.

IMG_1172-1.jpg

I always wondered about special bike chain lubes- what makes them so special and supposedly needed?

For some reason I had it in my head the release date was the 18th June.

Sat here watching eagerly whilst doing some serious tennis elbow rehab.

What do you do for rehab? Have you heard of using a metal pipe and slowly waving it upright from side to side, like the motion of a needle in a automotive gauge

Cory, I got a rather phallic theraband Flexbar.

I heard Joe Rogan raving about them in one of his podcasts. Got one locally.

Search YouTube for an exercise called the Tyler Twist. Seems to have had excellent results in relation to other exercises.

The main difference is they have discovered that eccentric exercise (as opposed to concentric exercise) has excellent result in making tendons stronger instead of the training the muscle.

Time will tell as mine is still quite painful, so I am also taking some ibuprofen and icing when needed.

I searched Tyler Twist videos...some good info. Should be a good tool for rehab. Once you get rehabbed look into Indian Clubs for maintenance.

Back