Rope bag project...

• Thread starter Hobby Climber
  • Start date
  • Replies 395
  • Views 35K
I got my 2 new red HC rope bags today. :D I don't think they are quite as stiff as the blue ones, but they are very nice. I will finally be able to replace that stupid Sherril bag that holds my 9/16" stable braid. You know the one, with the floppy top that gets in your way when you're trying to put the rope in the bag.

Thank you Sean, for your assistance in getting Bob's rope bags to market. :thumbup:

No problemo. I'll talk to our sewing lady and see if we can work something out to make them stiffer. We tried to exactly duplicate Bob's design, but maybe our webbing isn't quite as stiff? I'll work something out here. I've learned that products like this will almost always be a work in progress.

The construction looks great, the material seems a little different (or it may just be my perception). I'll report back in a week after I get a chance to use them a few times. :)

Except for being a different color, the material we're using is exactly the same as the stuff Bob was using, right down to the name, thickness, vinyl coating on the inside, etc. I'll keep an eye on this thread for a few months in case anybody has recommendations for improvement.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ah heck,

Brian, you got your bags before I got mine?:what: :P Congrats!

Once mine arrives, I'll also do a side by side once over & field testing etc.

...but in the mean time, how about some picks of yours!

Bob

Ah heck,

Brian, you got your bags before I got mine?:what: :P Congrats!

Once mine arrives, I'll also do a side by side once over & field testing etc.

...but in the mean time, how about some picks of yours!

Bob

I ordered mine about 2 hours after Sean announced their availability. I also bypassed his generous offer and just paid retail in order to expedite the process (buy yourself lunch on me, Sean).

I'll have to do pictures tomorrow since my camera is locked up in the bucket truck tonight.

Hey Nick,

As requested, all the HC bags will have a Loop at the top to accept a biner!

This is a pic of one of the first eight HC Bags that WesSpur now makes.

There are a few minor issues I noticed but they are easy fixes to sort out.

You know me...picky picky picky! I sent Bounce the info so I'm sure he'll get right on it. WesSpurs good that way!

Later,

Bob

Attachments

• Pictures of bags 007.jpg
    Pictures of bags 007.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 10
So...how are the bags working out for thoes who bought them???

Are they standing up properly and staying open???

Bounce, How long before the next batch of bags will be ready???

Bob

We're already on our 2nd batch. Some slight improvements have been made, most of which you wouldn't ever notice unless you were taking one apart. The cord is threaded in a little better way, some of the seams are double or triple stitched, webbing is folded and then stitched so it stays flatter, etc. I tossed one out a tree last weekend from over 100', only to see it land directly on a stub poking up out of a log on the ground. No damage.

The bag is on line at WesSpur...cool!

I was just browsing the WesSpur web page and found my Rope Bags being advertised there! Now how cool is that!!! :big-jump::big-rolling:

The picture shown in the ad is one of the first test batch bags but the ones now being sold on line have been corrected!

My goal for next year is to have WesSpur carry my Mesh Bag!
BTW, it already in the works, ;)!!!

HC

Attachments

• HC Rope Bag @ WesSpur.gif
    HC Rope Bag @ WesSpur.gif
    36.9 KB · Views: 37
The ones I bought have held up extremely well.
If Wesspur isn't having them made or selling them any longer can the rights revert back to you Bob?
I know folks who would order up some...

Bags, I bought two in like 2014 or 15. Maybe earlier. Escapes me. But at least that long. Tough. Figure I been dropping these from 100 plus feet pretty regular. Even 150. Held up, but about ready to retire.

Wow...so glad to hear they are still holding up for everyone.

The credit goes to everyone here because without all those who offered their ideas, suggestions & opinions, the project would have died long ago!

"WesSpur Tree Equipment" (800) 268-2141, does carry them but you'll likely have to call them (800) 268-2141 to ensure they have it in stock. but I also noticed they were not in their 2019 catalogue.

So I called them last year to asked about this and was told that they currently have fewer sewing staff (for various reasons) and that the ones still there now have and increased workload making other WesSpur products. (It's Just Business).

If I recall, they said something like, if they don't have enough of a particular product "on hand", they item will not make it into their catalogue because they could run into longer than usual back order delays. Or something like that.

I was also informed they discontinued making & selling the Original (Solid) "HC-Rope Bags".

But with any business, if there is enough demand for something, it'll be produced again !

Currently as I understand it, they only carry the: "Hobby Climber" Mesh Bags (2019 catalogue -pg.25).

1)- MD - 200' of 1/2" BAG114 $48
&
2)- LG - 300' of 1/2" BAG138 $56

But give them a call because I am not sure what they will be doing this year.

Fun Fact,
It was actually Franz who had commissioned me to develop the Mesh Bags. So much thanks goes to him for coming up with this cool great idea !!!

I no longer produce or sell rope bags anymore and turned everything over to "BOUNCE" aka Sean Tait @ WesSpur Tree Equipment some years ago.

BOUNCE is no longer the sales manager at WesSpur and has since moved on. But if anyone ever crosses paths with him, tell him I said Hi and thanks again for all his help in getting this project off the ground..

Though I am mentioning WesSpur's name a lot, I no longer receive royalties from them but can tell ya they are just good people to deal with !

Back