Random Acts of Generosity

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
I got a box in the mail the other day. I opened it up and there were a whole mess of things from Merle Nelson. A bunch of varying lengths of some really high quality interior adhesed heat shrink, some new-fangled wedges, and a variable temp heat gun.

The heat gun is great, and I have already used it a bunch. It easily gets hot enough (1200 degrees it says) to melt the end of a rope, and can run cool enough (200 degrees) to gently tighten heat shrink or melt whipping ends. Its pretty cool.

Last, and best of all was a jar of homemade blackberry preserves from Merles wife, and a thoughtful note to Meg. She was delighted. The forum here has presented me with countless opportunities, made me plenty of friends, taught me numerous things, and today its making it possible for me to have some fantastic toast with my breakfast.

Thanks Merle!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The idea with the wedges is that the 'handle' groove allows you to tap them in with one of the others or use one to pound a plastic wedge. They are lightweight and seem well made.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1371991854818.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371991854818.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 65
  • uploadfromtaptalk1371991868577.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371991868577.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 66
Nice gift. Are those wedges currently being marketed? Seems like a simple and worthwhile idea.

Speaking of acts of generosity at the house, I have been so honored as well. Brian sent me an oil pump, Stephen a cool and unique hiking stick, and of course the incredible and invaluable financial support from many folks to help my wife and me get through a rather rough bump in the road after the big earthquake and tsunami. An order for some woodwork from Paul for his beautiful daughter as well. Things I'm sure I mentioned before, but not something I could forget. I like the chance to mention it again. :)

156wfwi.jpg

156wfwi.jpg

156wfwi.jpg

156wfwi.jpg

156wfwi.jpg

156wfwi.jpg

No idea. Merle said they were called Magnesium Wedges but that they werent made of magnesium anymore... My google searches show no results. I am sure Merle will pipe in at some point here and we can let him tell us.

I dig those wedges. I was just using another hard head to pound its brother in just this friday.

Sweet. Anything comes of them let me know, ill take a couple.

I'm speculating that if they are as light as they look, you will still need an axe or heavy hammer to pound deep.

The acts of kindness and generosity here in the Tree House is what often gives me a glimmer of hope in the human race. I too have been the recipient of much here in these halls of our forum.. I can honestly say that food has been kept on my table and me kept safe in my daily work because of this forum and the people in it. Great deeds abound.

You’re welcome Nick.

I had The Tree House as a whole in mind, and was feeling appreciation for each of the generous gifts of information that have helped in my work, when I sent that.

Those wedges are called Mag Drivers and I got them from Madsen’s. They used to also have the solid side variety that looked like a normal wedge, Madsen’s said they are not made anymore. Nick mentioned in a post about breaking plastic wedges, thought this would be a bit better.

Back