Picco 3/8LP round chisel cutter chain

Hey Guys: Finally put the new chain into a descent Big Leaf Maple removal. I don't really know what I was expecting. I guess I wasn't too terribly impressed. Maybe that was because I had filed my old semi-chisel with the double-b file. (Believe it or not, they scream that way.) Guess I'll have to wait till it's wood dull to have a go on the new square cornered one with the double b.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Maybe that was because I had filed my old semi-chisel with the double-b file.

I had done that goofing off a few years ago to see on semi chisel chain for a gtg. Knocked 6 seconds off in 1 cut time in a nice log I was testing in at the time. :D

a double cut mill bastard? Double bastard? I dunno, the files I have are single cut mill bastard, enough to sharpen the tools I use.

You got it, Rajan and Dave. Sorry... don't know why the heck I abbreviated that since a "double-bevel" file is, for most arborists a rather esoteric--and maybe rightly so!--little instrument to begin with. Maddening, but fun. Rips!

Yeah Kevin: That's interesting. If you try it on a little 200T, its WAY tricky cause you tend to dig your tie straps too much. I actually broke a chain by dinking around that way, and had to repair it in the field... Don't ask! I've come up with a way of doing it now, though, that I've been pretty happy with the results of. Ya just angle the file a lot shallower--so as to not dig the straps so hard--but, at the same time, angle the flat face of the file steeper--so as to build-in a more durable (less acute) angle into the actual chisel edge. I actually sharpened my foreman's saw that way last week, and he acknowledged how much faster it cut. Can't wait till the new full corner chain is dull, so I can see if it will cut yet better.

I am a nerd.

Wouldn't that make it a square ground chain chain? Well let us know how it works I always like new tricks to get a faster chain.

Flushcut, the new round chisel square corner PS3 would actually be square ground chain if he uses the D B files. Just think of it as PSLK .

The semi chisel chain even though modified with a square file still has a round corner that has been cut into to make it cut faster. Mine cut rough in the wood and needed to be stoned for a smoother cut. But I am way past those days. I was just looking for a faster chain for the top handle and 0-40cc rear handle gtg races the last few years.

To see the potential of the PS3 you have to compare stock chains to stock chain like I did. Now take the work that inbred did on that semi chisel to modified square and do a good square file job on the PS chain and I hope he sees a huge difference. I know 20% to ?? faster then closest stock chains I had on hand.
What surprised me was the carlton 3/8lp was faster then the oregon vxl. I would have thought different by feel in the cut.

Al, the link count for that Stihl 14" bar is 50. The chain I sent you with it was 63pm-50. It's marked on the bar.

Al I just got off the phone with the good dealer. He is running the numbers for me. If I can get a 50dl 63PS3 do you want me to pick one up if he can order it?

I cant wait to hear what the bulk prices will be for 100' :O

What does the stihl picco normally run for 100' Brian?

Idunno, Kevin. My last roll came from Washington via the Big Guy about 2 years ago. I think it was about $275 with tax, plus shipping. Gary recently picked up a couple rolls of full size 3/8 for me but they no longer carry the Picco. My local shops want about $400 per roll, and I'm almost out.

Ebay is a very dangerous thing it is so easy to spend money it should be illegal, but every now and than you find a good deal that you just can't pass up.

Hey Boys: Thought I'd let you guys know that I consider the factory grind on the new full corner chain to be extremely durable. We've had quite a few D. Fir removals lately near Fort Lewis, and I can't believe how much I've cut up already without needing to sharpen. Seems silly to post this except that I've found it to be quite as durable as the semi-chis. Hard to believe really.

I'm really starting to doubt the conventional wisdom regarding the difference between semi and full corner. Here's the deal: I'm thinking that the vast majority of the value of a given kind of a chisel has much more to do with its expediency in "channeling" the already cut wood chips from the initial severing to their ejection out of the saw-case, than it has to do with the actual severing of the wood. My reason: I've sharpened the semi with the double-bevel, and it seems to outperform the full corner with the factory round grind, while at the same time the full-corner with the round grind seems every bit--or nearly "every bit," (the difference would seem negligible)--as durable as the double-bevelled semi. (I am here excluding the possibility of hitting, nails, wire, sediment or other crap that only arborists really have to deal with.)

My belief for the reason that a square ground (double-bevel-filed) chain outperforms the same chain that has been round-ground, is that the square ground version of the chisel is simply "hollower". I'll try to explain what I mean. Imagine the wood grain of a bucked (not ripped) log being severed. Now imagine the shape of those--let's say Doug Fir chips--being "funneled" through the top and side-plate of the chisel and into the void beneath(from the top-plate toward the bar). Now walk outside to the hypothetical saw-shed and look at a round-ground chain--viewing the saw from the tip of the bar toward the powerhead. Now do the same thing with the square ground saw. The square ground chisels look "hollower" don't they? My theory is that the added "hollowness" of the square-ground chisels expedites the chips better, and perhaps,--on long bars or on full-compliment chains--actually "stores" the wood-chips better until they can be ejected from the sprocket. Questions, comments, criticisms? :)

Yea but ,perhaps that's true but nobody is going to take the time to refile round ground to square .Try it some time .

Up in a tree most likely this round chisel will out cut semi ,a given .However just how much could be gained by taking the time to convert it to square .

On a little 14" loop of 3/8 lo any good filer could do it in maybe 3 minutes verses 15 for square .

O.k. Al: Good point about the time thing. Speaking from a purely utilitarian point of view.... it's probably a bit silly. But for those of us for whom cutting even a nasty chunk of Cottonwood is somewhat akin to lovemaking: every nuanced little detail is of the vastest importance.;)

Back