Picco 3/8LP round chisel cutter chain

I don't get that either.
How many cuts do you do while in a tree? not many.
Unless of course you are of Chinese ancestry and practise the "Death by a thousand cuts"

Seems like a waste of time.

For logging it is a different matter, of course.

Stig: The PNW trees over houses are just a little bit different--How many cuts? Lots and LOTS. Anyone who has had a wood dull 200 up there will tell you that every little bit makes a difference.

BTW you guys... The new chain absolutely screams with the square grind in it. Lots of fun....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My cheapo camera on micro couldn't get the best pic. But here is a comparison of the PS3 cutter to the PM or PMC cutter. Now you can see the square corner of the PS cutter compared.

Thanks Brian for the two different cutters you sent me to look at. :thumbup:

StihlPSandPM008.jpg

StihlPSandPM005.jpg

Yes if you would pick me up a loop I'd appreciate it .

I couldnt take it waiting on local stihl dealers anymore as I sharpened a 91 safety chain for a guys poulan yesterday (wish I had the PS3 to sale him for that saw). I just ordered a 25' roll of 63PS3 from out west plus shipping. ;)

Will let you know when it is all said and done. Guy is going to put together a bulk order. 8)

You'll like it Kevin.:P

I know I will. I tested the 56dl loop long ago. Heck I was the one that started this thread.

I'm just wanting more of it to put on others saws and all my lp saws.

I know 2 44dl are going to be made up for my pole saw from get go. :D

I just haven't had the chance to go pester my dealer .Working the crazy hours I do ,I don't get off until 6 PM .

Say although it would be very impratical I'll bet this stuff would just fly if it were square filed .Although you'd have to wait until it's about half worn out before you could get a multi beveled file in it .

I just ordered a 25' roll of 63PS3 from out west plus shipping. ;)

Will let you know when it is all said and done. Guy is going to put together a bulk order. 8)

Got a email that my chain is in good hands now and only needs to be shipped to me for final journey. :thumbup::dancin:

Yes Al, it does scream when square filed. But, no, you don't half to wait till it's half worn. The double-bevel--not the triangle--file fits right in when it's new.:)

The only chain I've ever square filed has been standard 3/8" which I consider to be a pain in the buttocks to do in itself let alone little tiny 3/8" lo-pro .

Good grief after one "race" chain my fingers are so stiff the next morning I can't hardly bend them . With that I can certainly see why the west coasters use grinders .

Al: Try filing with your other hand on the tip of the file. That way, the hand that is on the file handle doesn't get nearly as worked-over. I know watcha mean: if you try to file with one hand on the file and the other on the chain.... YOUCH!!

Also: don't do what some guys do, and try to use the square file in the same direction as the round file. When using the triangle or double-bevel, I suggest always going from the tip of the bar toward the powerhead. One has to exert much less energy that way.:)

Why less energy? I don't find there is any difference in time or effort between square and round, you just have to pay a little more attention when filing square.

25 feet of 404 for 149 , 25 63pmc 99 , 100 pmc 379

Finally and here is part number on box if you are wanting 25' instead of a 100' roll.

3450390025004.jpg

3450390025005.jpg

No Dave: I didn't mean that filing square takes less energy than filing round--quite the contrary. What I meant was that using any kind of file with one hand on the handle and another on the tip of the file always takes less energy than only using one hand on the handle. (Some guys who don't have a stump-vice try to use one hand to stabilize the bar while the other works the file.):|: (I.M.O.)

Year or 2 year old dry 8x8 aspen cant.

After this I am sold on Stihl PS3 and hopefully PS or PSC someday in the future.

Oregon 91 safety 10.96 and 10.90

Oregon 91 full skip spun when hit wood 11.09 and 10.65

Carlton N1 9.28 and 9.06

Stihl 63PS3 7.31 and 7.56

Windsor 50R 10.34 and 9.93

Oregon VXL 10.03 and 9.41

Not 100% for sure since 4 years have gone by since testing. But know for fact same poulan 35cc saw was used. Thinking same 45dl bar, if not maybe one was a 56dl, not sure.

Back