Pantin

maggies dad

TreeHouser
Alright folks, I climbed srt on a job for the first time today. Used to wrench, and love it! But on two different ascents the heal strap on my pantin or how ever you spell it came off. When I say off I mean it slipped out of the little slots that it runs thru to secure it. By the way this sucks when you are way the devil up the tree and trying to get over a rather large branch. Anyway has anyone else had this happen? I haven't changed anything between low and slow climbs to learn, and then today. Did so crazy long limb walks, and after a few I started getting more comfy with the wrench when returning. I must say that having the same amount of friction no matter how haywire my routing is, is amazing! Anyway thanks guys. I have to hit the showers, my 5yr just told me I stink!:lol:

Keep your toes pointed down if you aren't already. I have never had my heal strap come off, that must be a shocker.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Its a surprise for sure. I sure may of had my foot flat, I was having an issue the first time getting around this big fat branch that I told the ground guy would be "no problem" Yes, I once again looked like a idiot!

I put a nut and machine screw in my footstrap. I never had it come out but I did have it slip before. It hasn't moved since.

That sounds like a good ideal. I think I may give something like that a try. Do you have any pics of it Adam?

Cool! thanks. Now out to the shop I go. Thanks again:)

Never had that happen. Strap can get loose sometimes once working the tree with it on. I just tighten it up and double check if I need it to ascend again. I think Brian sewed his.

I never made it to the shop, I got headed off at the pass by my 2yr old . I like the ideal of stitching it, What would you use to do it? I use to do a lot of saddle repair so I have done some stitching, but not on nylon or what ever that strap is.

I think you are putting the heel strap to low, just like spurs with the pantin I put that rear strap as high as possible. Above the stiffer heel part of the boot.

I could be way off base though..

I stitched that strap, just not on that part in case I wanted to adjust it for my other boots. It has a cam buckle on it instead of the petzl clasps. It's 10lb nylon upholstery thread. I did mine on an old singer 403 but I'm sure you could do it by hand.

Hand stitch it with normal thread...just double it through the needle and stitch back and forth over the area a few times, right as rain, nothing tricky.
I've got waxed whipping twine I use for some things, but for that it would be overkill.

And I don't think it much matters what thread you use. But polyester would be best.

On a lot of my adjustable straps I use Velcro to keep the tails down. It also keeps them from creeping.

Maybe that would work here, too?

love
nick

Cool, sounds good. Ill give it a try today. But first a nap is in order, we fought fire most of the night and I am gassed.

Back