Palm removals with limited access.

Mellow

BCMA
I need some creative ideas to get these ten Sylvester palms down without damaging the surrounding pools tiles. There is no bucket or crane access. I have a plan in mind but I'm open to suggestions.

IMG_4252.jpg IMG_4253.jpg IMG_4254.jpg IMG_4255.jpg

Controlled lower sounds interesting. Can a palm be used as an anchor without uprooting or something?

I have used controlled lower a handful of times, to protect lightweight asphalt parking lots. It does work, but you need a strong, tall anchor point, and two anchor points works mo betta. That takes two people to work in a very coordinated manner to let the control ropes out simultaneously. Wood that hinges well is also of huge benefit, I'm sure.

I have no idea if one could do this with palms, or in this scenario.

Here's a link to a thread with a controlled let down...a training exercise I was part of. Might give some ideas.

One, dont ALAP any stumps as you will need anchor points. Use all those trees as needed for rigging points. Rig the tops out and neg block what you are good with. Tie tip. With two angled vectoring into LZ if possible. Using portys. Butt tie. Face them into where they can fit in LZ. You dont need the tips pre tensioned as you want the stem to lean into the LZ to be lowered into. Pull rope helps. Leave enough hinge. Let the ropes out slow to vector and gently land. I would still use layers of ply to let it lie on.
Capiche? Clear as mud? Lol

Need something like a bouncy house to drop them on.

Maybe lots of face and back cuts until they bend all the way over.

My first thought was butt tie and cut the top 3rd out. Maybe have a few guys far away to hold a rope to lower the last 2/3 of trunk onto the top with a normal felling cut.

Another post, might help picture the process...

Since you got 10 of them on hard surface and they look pretty short, i would be lazy and rent some scaffold on wheels to piece them out if they're as short as they look. I would pull the scaffold out of the way before you start blocking so it doesn't get hit, cripple it, climb down, move scaffold, then pull the piece over with a tag line. You are probably too mechanized to have an arbor trolley or equivalent, so i would rent a cricket (pipe cart) too, and walk the trunk pieces to the curb with that. Then i would also rent a gantry crane to handle the trunks, easy peasy. Get 2 trolleys on it with chainfalls to invert the load in the air so you're not banging stuff up or needing to move it under load to try to lay it down, and the gantry could be used to pick up pieces to load on the cart or trailer, and some log tongs (they sell them at tsc even) makes it quicker and easier than messing with a choker too.

Holy smokes Brett, do they want them all out? That is going to be one messy, messy job any way you look at it. That palm fiber is going to be everywhere. UGH

Burn, foam was the first thing I thought of too. Ekka used to drag foam around to his jobs and just bomb the palms out. Funny as heck but it did work for him!

I am thinking about the mess, the date berries and all. We used to have a ground man that would put a tarp down when we would clean them, it made getting the mess up easier for him.

We will need a video on this one!

I only said scaffold because he said no lift, a 1 man scissor would be far better, and you can drive them through the building no problem if need be

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good ideas, all. I was thinking plywood and Styrofoam sandwiches to drop chunks onto. They're not huge, about 20' to 30' of clear trunk. It's going to be extremely messy.

Brett, with no actual clue about palms, why are they removals? Soon to be dead? Or some other reason? Sorry if it's obvious to others but I live in a much different world.

The Styrofoam needs to be thoroughly bagged or taped up so it doesn't make a mess.

Could rent an electric man lift & generator.

Back