One Man Band- climbing and rigging, groundwork, business mgmt.

I agree! It just makes sense for me, and my situation to run solo, and I understand, not for most.

I've worked many simple jobs solo... it's just that the more difficult ones are always out there needing to be done.

I've been lucky, HOs are usually glad to help and clean up. This guy is 79. He clicked with my work, when I was cutting and tossing, he'd be out of the DZ, soon as the saw was away and I was navigating and setting up for the next cuts, the brush was dragged out of the DZ and processed...err...cut up with an electric chain saw, and hauled off. Pull my saw out, he was clear, in sight, and no double checking.

IMG_20150606_145020.jpg

Peter,

He was a smart old man. It would be interesting to know what he did for a living, earlier in his life. High situational awareness. I'm betting that he worked in a trade that had a relatively high level of possible danger, so he has gotten used to being observant, which is how he's managed to live so long in the first place.

What a great work partner!

Tim

Good thread Sean.

Having a helper on any size job makes things a lot easier and gives you a lot more options on how to do a job. Solo working, the options are much less. I've been working solo a lot the last few months, and so far I've not hit any road blocks. Having said that, there's countless jobs over the last year that I would even attempt solo. Fortunately I have some good sub contractors available if I need them.

What I'm more curious about and most importantly is who actually gets to keep more money at the end of a given week. The guy employing 4 workers, or the guy running solo ? Notice I used the word 'keep'.

My best years has nothing to do with employees or quality of employees for that matter it really only has to do with volume. How much ca n you do in a day week month and how much can you charge.

Personally working solo sucksass do what you gotta do. Tomorrow was priced for me and another but I will have a third/ new man but chances are I get my day done sooner and move on several hundred more on the same street/same day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
For legit companies, mostly it sounds like WC is around 40%. Add to that Unemployment Insurance, Payroll process costs, drive time, etc. Some times it is nice to put that extra into your pocket.
Nice....

"I just lost a job because I didn't have WC.
So, I put a call in and am getting a quote from StateFund on a wopping $5700/year guy.

$10/hour.....6 days/month.....8 hours/day.......12 months...."

Sometimes a job goes 3 x's as fast with two workers, other times, 1.5 x's as fast with two workers.

Reg, good to see you 'back'. Was hoping to hear you're just too busy working, and more importantly making money, to post.
Do you have himilayan blackberry and scotchbroom havoc up there. Easy solo work that that certainly help pay for a mini for tough access locations, and tows behind or haul in your P/U.

It's going good Sean, thanks. No I've not been asked you to deal with that kind of stuff, but yeah its around.

Click on this link to an arbtalk photo thread :

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/picture-forum/57298-another-langford-fir.html

That was a long day. I got paid 450. I've taken much less for similar trees many times.

I got 450 for taking out a silver birch this (see pic) morning, took me two how's to complete the job. Then home for a two hour sit out in the sun and a tasty brevl....cheese, ham, tomato, onion with ketchup if you must know. I've got to go out again about 2:30 to cut a stump down, then an estimate at 4. That's me done for the week. Been a good week, couple long days but I'm just not seeing the hardship in it at all. And the money's great compared to what im used to. 2015-06-11 13.05.11.jpg 2015-06-11 13.25.32.jpg

Ahh, the load handler. I rocked that for a while. Got me to where I am today. I had my sides come down inside the wheel wells. Everything cranked out easier and I could keep tools behind them. This is what I'm rolling in now. image.jpg

Ahh, the load handler. I rocked that for a while. Got me to where I am today. I had my sides come down inside the wheel wells. Everything cranked out easier and I could keep tools behind them. This is what I'm rolling in now.

Nice set up Page. Good for you :thumbup:

My business licence is that of my home address. One of the conditions here in Saanich is that the GVWR of my works vehicle can not be over 5000 KG if its to be kept at my place of residence. Same as on the road, once you go over that weight its higher insurance, safety inspections and logs etc. Stepping over that threshold is just not worth it to me. I dont want to end up like a lot of other guys here in town....chasing the work all the time just to cover the overhead. Theres a few mods I have planned on the F350 over the next couple of weeks that'll make it a lot more suitable and increase the load capacity from what it is right now. I also like the fact that I dont have the expense of running a second vehicle, just for work. I hope to stay small and under the radar as long as I can. Seems alot less to worry about.

....What I'm more curious about and most importantly is who actually gets to keep more money at the end of a given week. The guy employing 4 workers, or the guy running solo ? Notice I used the word 'keep'.

Love your setup, Reg! I have run something similar for the last 30 years, loadhandler and all as you can see in the background of this HH2 picture. Not for everyone but having run a large company with lots of equipment and employees, I much prefer smaller. The volume and consistency of work needed to sustain a large company is substantial. All and all, I am much happier and have more money in my pocket. There is a lot to be said in favour of a low overhead company.

Attachments

• 20150409_100225_resized(1).jpg
    20150409_100225_resized(1).jpg
    882.1 KB · Views: 60
I can agree with that. I am by no means a big company. It's just me and one other guy. I get more help on the days I need it but usually just the two of us. The big truck is nice however. I went from 5 yard capacity to 16. I was out in the pickup today. Had a nice job that we could fly chip into the woods.

You guys in the States/Canada seem to be able to get away with using a pickup as a chip truck- that's awesome as far as lowering overheads goes:thumbup:

Our pickups are generally smaller and the F series or US pickups etc command pretty good prices and are relatively uncommon.

Back