On-Board Air

squisher

THE CALM ONE!!!!
Anyone here running a set-up for their pick-up? I have Firestone ride-rite bags front and back in my plow truck and am looking at setting up a on-board system to monitor/fill/deflate them. My concerns are reliability of the whole system and moisture.

So I'd be interested to know what type of systems anyone on here might be using and how they've worked out for them.

Thanks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am looking at this Firestone kit- http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index...d=5889&zenid=423e5e59712440050817e4f576f75b84

Not nescessarily from that website. My local auto-parts shop that I deal with deals with Firestone so they'll be the easiest for me to get. I'll install it so both front airbags are on one 'circuit' and the rear the same. I don't need individual air bag control, just front to back. And I'm only looking to be able to fill/deflate the airbags really, not looking to run any air tools whatsoever. My concern is moisture. I don't see a drain in the tank? Is there one I'm wondering or do you have to plumb one in or something? It would seem to me like you'd need/want to be able to drain off condensation otherwise eventually it's going to be causing some issues up here with freezing.

Thanks for that Andy.

Yah I would maybe add a obnoxious horn too if I had a tank. :/:

I sold my firestone system last year. Never had an issue with moisture in the bags.

Willie did you have the compressor too? I've run the bags for four years now and haven't had any moisture issues just filling them from my home compressor, but I'm a little worried about a small on-board compressor with say no tank running so hot that it may push through alot more moisture into the lines/bags. Also at times it freezes solid up here for quite a stint. That's why I was originally thinking a tank, as a 'wet tank' on a brake system catches alot of the moisture. But then I was noticing that these tanks don't have any sort of drain, you'd had to plum something in. Maybe I'm worried over nothing, but I don't want to shell out and then find out there's a moisture issue.

Why did you get rid of your system Willie?

I only assume on a pick up truck it would work like a set of air shocks so you really wouldn't need level sensors like the rear lift on a Caddy .The actual air bag system on a Lincoln used one sensor in the back and two in the front FWIW but it was full air ride automatic with a little 'puter .There were no drains with either the air shock or air bag systems .

I might add also just for general info the compressers were exactly the same on both with the exception the Caddy only had two air lines and the Lincoln Mk 7 and 8 had 4 .That little bitty oilless compresser would put out something like in excess of 140 PSI .

I've never worked on a pick truck air ride so that's about all I can to the conversation .

Well in searching around there's no info on moisture/freezing problems so I'm guessing it's not an issue? Now I just have to decide which kit would be best. I'm assuming the tank would be better if I ever want to run anything else, like a air horn or even be able to fill tires off of it if need be. The tankless system is cheaper but would strictly do the bags which is all I really need. I'd just feel silly if I had on-board air and couldn't fill a tire if need be.

You can do it with tankless, I did on my old Suburban. I took a compressor off an old Buick with air ride and ran a hose out to the bumper. Later on I made new bumpers, 4 1/2" x 1/4" wall box tubing and sealed the front one up for an air tank.
If I were to do it again I'd use something bigger and be able to at least buzz a tire off with an impact, even if I had to wait in between for it to charge back up. There were too many times I was out and had a problem a simple impact could have saved me.

Actually you could air up a tire if you got creative .If you could somehow plumb in a female air chuck off the compresser and use a quick connect stay connected air chuck you could do it .Those little compressers have the air pressure they just lack voluum .

Like say those 29 dollar plug in the cigarette lighter deals .Just takes some time to get-er-done is all . Beats hell out of a bicycle pump .

Justin, I never did install the compressor on my dodge, it sat on the shelf in the shop for 3 years, I quit hauling wood chips in the dodge so I figured what the heck. I've run air bags and compressors before, several buddies have them, never a moisture issue. I can't remember which firestone compressor kit I had but it had great reviews and was a clean little system, individual valves per bag and gauges

Found my craigslist pix

Attachments

• IMG_0132.jpg
    IMG_0132.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0133.jpg
    IMG_0133.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0134.jpg
    IMG_0134.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0137.jpg
    IMG_0137.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 2
I have the Ride Rite bags on my Ranger.
Like Willie I also have the compressor, tank and gauges/in-cab switch assembly on the shelf in the shop... maybe one of these rain days I'l get it set up.

Look at the price on those air horns!!
I'd go to the junkyard and pull a set out of an old Alfa Romeo; adjustable Fiamme air horns.

As for lift bags they suck. Timbren's are a better setup.

I wonder why you figure that? As I said I've had the bags on my plow truck front and rear for 4years and they work fantastic, the issue I'm trying to solve is they eventually bleed down at uneven rates, but this is a truck that has a 900pd plow dangling off the front and a 800pd sander(empty) in the back that will hold 2yds of sand. I can load rite up and drive down the road and maintain stock ride heights with at times over 5000pds in the box. If I have a front to back isolated system, I'll plumb it so the front and the rear airbags always have the exact same air pressure, and of course that'll read out in the cab and be infinitely adjustable.

I also have timbrens in my 1ton dump, they've been on there for atleast five years and they are ok too but certainly not used in any way to control ride height, the springs just settle down onto them and that's pretty much it.

So you may not like airbags but I'm here to tell you they definetly do work. What issue have you had with them?

A loud arse horn would be awesome, but if I get one it'll definetly come from the wrecker though I'm thinking.

Leak air, plus wait till one blows with a load on and your truck darn near tips over. Compressors and valves only last a few years. Now on a semi, air is the tits. But it is a much better built and designed system.
Ride height is the only good thing with bags in my mind.

But the Sun quick air compressors have been a very reliable system.

I will check them out.

I figure I've pushed these bags pretty hard but if one were to blow, atleast with the new 'system' I'll be putting together the other front or rear on the opposite side would deflate with it so i don't think I'd have much side to side issue. Still, I think mine are definetly up to the task I've found in looking around that the Firestone bags/compressor kits are known as being pretty bulletproof.

I will agree with this, since the Timbrens have been in I've done nothing to them. Checking the bag inflation has become part of my pre-trip same as tire pressure on my plow truck.

I've never had an airbag blow, I love them when hauling a load. The compressor is nice for when your loading and unloading often otherwise charging at home works alright

Back