Official Random Fact/Random Thought Thread!

But I can say with certainty, that if I can see the flames in a fire box, I feel warmer than if I can't.
One cold cold night I was camping in a parkinglot to get Dead tickets. I had a Dietz oil lamp for light where I was setup, and everyone who was there said it felt warm with the oil lamp going. You could warm your hands over the lamp, but that was the extent of the heat output. Having a glowing orange fire in front of you does a lot to get you warm :^)

I feel homes can also radiate cold once the walls and floors are cooled off. Noticed here. The temp in the house is like 65 to 68 and feels like 45. Touch the wall or bare feet on the floor tells you they are cooler than the air temp.
Yes, the lack of radiant heat off off all the materials in a cold house is going to be a factor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Random Fact: Who invented the first commercial cigarette? The first commercial cigarettes were made in 1865 by Washington Duke on his 300-acre farm in Raleigh, North Carolina. His hand-rolled cigarettes were sold to soldiers at the end of the Civil War. It was not until James Bonsack invented the cigarette-making machine in 1881 that cigarette smoking became widespread.

Random Fact: Which animals have the most sex changes? Clownfish, wrasses, moray eels, gobies and other fish species are known to change sex, including reproductive functions. A school of clownfish is always built into a hierarchy with a female fish at the top. When she dies, the most dominant male changes sex and takes her place.

Ahh, the mighty sea cucumber!

They're poisonous, clownfish are immune, thus a lovely symbiotic relationship.
A sea cucumber is a completely different animal...

But you're absolutely correct about the symbiotic relationship between clownfish and sea anemones.

Sea Cucumber.jpg

Bruh...Mind blown. How do they verify these claims? That's what I need to know.

While I don't doubt that there's folks out there with hydrophones listening to how shrimp screw and all manner of other things, I think most of those claims are just shit talking. Hard to verify or refute any of those claims.

Who is listening to parrots whisper?

The people out there doing that "work" are not in the gene pool, so I rekon things even out.

Dory am Blue Tang.

Knoto, anemones are often referred to as sea cucumbers. Weather there's another critter with the same name is irrelevant. So there.
Can you support this claim with even one source? I'm not saying you're wrong....I'm just reminding you that I like to keep things scholarly here. Should be easy to verify if your claim is accurate. I am aware that sea cucumbers can often be found in close proximity to sea anemones under the ocean, however, I was unaware that the two shared the name "sea cucumber."

Last edited:
Think this is what’s being referred to.

Bro, that's what we call sexual assault. Those Pearlfish are raping those sea cucumbers. I might contact that squad from Law & Order: SVU. Maybe Ice Cube or Olivia Benson can resolve this "heinous" atrocity bahaha

@Kaveman, if you think I'm giving you a hard time, I promise you that I'm not. You're welcome to ask me to provide a source for any claim I ever make at any time of your choosing. This is how we stay sharp on this thread. I want everyone to know that most anything that is said here can be verified with at least one reputable source. Personal opinions obviously do not require sources. I've been pretty relaxed on this for awhile, but now I'm battening down the hatches.

And no, this doesn't mean people need to provide sources for their claim(s). They just need to know that, if they are called upon to do so, that they should have done their due diligence and made sure that at least one source exists which verifies their claim(s). One which they can pull up if anyone questions the authenticity of their claim. I think that allows for convenience and fairness., with respectable moderation when summoned.

Can you support this claim with even one source? I'm not saying you're wrong....I'm just reminding you that I like to keep things scholarly here. Should be easy to verify if your claim is accurate. I am aware that sea cucumbers can often be found in close proximity to sea anemones under the ocean, however, I was unaware that the two shared the name "sea cucumber."
Cartoon network's Ed, Edd, and Eddy.

The character Rolf had an interesting relationship with the "Mighty Sea Cucumber" which was depicted as an anemone.

Again, So There.

Here is a short explanatory clip of the aforementioned cartoon (I was far too old to watch this a child fyi)
‘The sea cucumbers’ I see, whilst not anatomically perfect, are clearly not anemones.

Facts matter! Otherwise what in the name of baby Jesus is it all for?

@Mick! Thanks for caring enough about the truth to perform your own investigation.

@Kaveman It happens to the best of us. Myself included. Nobody likes to be wrong, but you did it with class and dignity. Huzzah!

Last edited:
Back