Official Random Fact/Random Thought Thread!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

I think that, although you can definitely train yourself to tolerate increasingly spicy foods, why would the average person want to? Typically, the people who indulge in ultra spicy foods are people who have an innate attraction towards that type of cuisine. That's just my perspective on this matter. The average person who will train themselves to tolerate highly spicy foods will be someone who desires spicy foods to begin with. I'm simply bolstering my initial argument.

Random Fact: U.S. nuclear-powered submarines can go faster than 25 knots (nautical miles per hour) underwater, which is approximately 29 miles per hour or 46 kilometers per hour.

Random Fact: How much does temperature change with altitude? Although the actual atmospheric lapse rate varies, under normal atmospheric conditions the average atmospheric lapse rate results in a temperature decrease of 6.4C°/km (3.5F°/1,000 ft) of altitude above ground level. The measurable lapse rate is affected by the moisture content of the air (humidity).

Stihl products and anything for Stihl products are over priced

View attachment 131564
Are you sure that bar isn't just really cheap? Not even being a dick...just wondering if maybe it is subpar for some reason...hence the price. Because I think the prices for Stihl products would have to be competitive, at least against Husqvarna. Which would mean that if Stihl is ripping people off, so would Husqvarna, but I don' t think that's necessarily the case. But people the world over pay a premium for quality goods. That's just how the world works. And why shouldn't it? If I had the best of the best, I'd charge more for it too because it costs more to make.

Last edited:
Are you sure that bar isn't just really cheap? Not even being a dick...just wondering if maybe it is subpar for some reason...hence the price. Because I think the prices for Stihl products would have to be competitive, at least against Husqvarna. Which would mean that if Stihl is ripping people off, so would Husqvarna, but I don' t think that's necessarily the case. But people the world over pay a premium for quality goods. That's just how the world works. And why shouldn't it? If I had the best of the best, I'd charge more for it too because it costs more to make.
Am I allowed more than 1 random thought/fact per day?

Fact/thought #2: You think too much

Random Fact: What percentage of DNA do humans share with bananas? This is evidence that humans are related to every other species on Earth. The genes of organisms that look very different are surprisingly similar. For example, human DNA sequences are over 95% identical to chimpanzee sequences and around 50% identical to banana sequences.

Random Fact: How do giraffes sleep? In the wild, giraffes almost never lie down because of vulnerability to predators. They usually sleep standing, sometimes sitting, and they give birth standing up. When giraffes sleep, they curl their necks and sleep for about five minutes at a time, sleeping no more than 30 minutes a day.

According to the Buddha, "he who angers you wins."
Well, ok, but nobody's angry. I think you just missed the anti discount (negative 56% off) getting hung up and Stihl cost and quality. I have a worse one for Husqvarna parts

HLS Bad Deal of the Day.jpg

Obviously they entered the lower price in the wrong window... I hope.

Pardon my naivete, but how does you showing an overpriced Raisman bar mean that Stihl products are overpriced? That's what I'm trying to understand. If this is painfully obvious, you shouldn't be critical of me, you should help me to understand. So what if I think too much? I'd much rather be accused of that than accused of not thinking enough. Raisman is owned by the Match Group (MTCH).

Random Fact: What does it mean to eat crow? Eating crow is an American colloquial idiom, meaning humiliation by admitting wrongness or having been proved wrong after taking a strong position. [ 2] Crow is presumably foul-tasting in the same way that being proved wrong might be emotionally hard to swallow.

Random Fact: What kind of meat is SPAM made out of? Spam is a canned precooked meat product made by the Hormel Foods Corporation, first introduced in 1937. The labeled ingredients in the classic variety of Spam are chopped pork shoulder meat, with ham meat added, salt, water, modified potato starch as a binder, sugar, and sodium nitrite as a preservative.

Random Fact: Where did the name SPAM come from? According to the company's Spam Museum, Ken Digneau, the brother of a Hormel executive, came up with the name — a portmanteau word for “spiced ham” — in a naming contest and got $100 as a reward. The new product was introduced on July 5, 1937.

From my experience, idiots aren't very inquisitive. It's an contradictory statement to combine the two in my opinion. Anyone who exhibits inquisitiveness has some level of intelligence. But I'm just one man with one opinion. If your NRA instructor had said "curious," this would be a different conversation.

"curious, a neutral term, basically connotes an active desire to learn or to know. inquisitive suggests impertinent and habitual curiosity and persistent quizzing."

Source: Definition of INQUISITIVE - https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/inquisitive#:~:text=curious%2C%20a%20neutral%20term%2C%20basically,to%20learn%20or%20to%20know.&text=inquisitive%20suggests%20impertinent%20and%20habitual%20curiosity%20and%20persistent%20quizzing.

Last edited:
All I see that you did wrong is take a strident tone.

Just because you believe it's your right and responsibility to inform anyone anytime that you know better than they do about anything, doesn't make it the nice way to deal with people.

It took me far too long to figure this out, as a youngster.

Ease up, is my advice. I don't care if you take it or not, but it might make interpersonal relationships smoother.

Just learn how to be human, learn how to take jokes, err on the side of reading every post in a lighthearted way, learn to act normal. You don't have to be normal, but try to learn how people interact successfully and act that way, so you too can successfully interface with society, at least on forums (maybe you have no problem with real life interactions). I used to be really wordy too and over-thought everything (I still do, but I keep my excess thoughts to myself), but I learned it's way better to keep it simple most of the time.

Edit: I'm no example of normal, so don't look to me for that.

Random Thought: I excel at moving on. I make conflict disappear like a magician. Zero grudges held. We're all adults here. Shit happens and then you die...alledgedly. =-D

Puppy Glasses.jpg

Not-so-Random Thought: @CurSedVoyce The other day I issued you a public correction based upon the difference between two commonly misconstrued words. I was confused when my post was met by what appeared to be criticism from you. In turn, I became critical of you and the whole thing spiraled out of control. You should all know that I may or may not be on the autism spectrum and that one thing I have never been good at is socializing like anything other than a robot. I honestly just wanted to share my knowledge and I saw that as an opportunity to do so. However, I’ve since discovered that the way I went about doing so made me look like a dick. It was not appropriate of me to correct you and, if anything, it made me sound like a “know it all” douchebag. I hope we can move forward. My sincerest apologies.

Random Fact: Where was the hot air balloon invented? On November 21, 1783 the first free flight carrying a human occurred in Paris, France. It was in a hot air balloon made of paper and silk made by the Montgolfier brothers. The balloon carried two men, Francois Pilatre de Rozier and Francois Laurent, Marquis of d' Arlanders. Among those on hand in Paris to witness some of these balloon ascensions were Benjamin Franklin, the members of the John Jay and John Adams families, including 16-year-old John Quincy Adams, and a surgeon friend of Franklin's, John Foulke.

Not-so-Random Thought: @CurSedVoyce The other day I issued you a public correction based upon the difference between two commonly misconstrued words. I was confused when my post was met by what appeared to be criticism from you. In turn, I became critical of you and the whole thing spiraled out of control. You should all know that I may or may not be on the autism spectrum and that one thing I have never been good at is socializing like anything other than a robot. I honestly just wanted to share my knowledge and I saw that as an opportunity to do so. However, I’ve since discovered that the way I went about doing so made me look like a dick. It was not appropriate of me to correct you and, if anything, it made me sound like a “know it all” douchebag. I hope we can move forward. My sincerest apologies.
Don't worry about it. It's all cool. I figured that was the case. The important thing is your realization. I find it's best to wait before posting. The forum often saves what you've typed, so you can come back later to see if that's really what you want to post.

Just know, if you haven't already figured it out, your life will very likely be more difficult than many other's, but you also have potential that many others don't have, not like that makes you better than everyone. There's pros and cons to every personality type.

Don't worry about it. It's all cool. I figured that was the case. The important thing is your realization. I find it's best to wait before posting. The forum often saves what you've typed, so you can come back later to see if that's really what you want to post.

Just know, if you haven't already figured it out, your life will very likely be more difficult than many other's, but you also have potential that many others don't have, not like that makes you better than everyone. There's pros and cons to every personality type.
Yeah, I have a habit of taking what everyone says super literally and then I will oftentimes say things innocently that sound like I'm being an asshole, but I'm really just poorly adjusted socially or something like that. My girlfriend tells me all the time that some of the things I say are just...weird...and that my interpretations of certain things are equally as confusing. It all makes sense to me, so I tend to get annoyed when people get upset with me...until I either figure out what I said wrong or someone explains it to me. Oh well, this isn't the last time I'll be issuing an apology for something like this. It could be worse. I often correct people because I think that factual information is interesting without realizing how its a social faux pas and that most people won't take kindly to it. I don't like getting corrected anymore than the next guy, so I'm not really sure where the urge comes from. But it has nothing to do with making anyone look or feel bad. I'm not a sociopath. Meh, the metaphorical prognosis is good. =-D

Back