Odd piece of new gear

@Frankie...palms get on average 25'...some taller some shorter, coconuts that is.

That new bollard thingy has too many bits. (literally) its as much as I can do to coach some of my groundies in setting up a porta wrap...but hey, some jobs it might be just the ticket

Oy! That looks like the diagram for a serpentine belt. I'd like to see some smoother edges on the anchor loop.

^^^Is that cool? I guess by extension, is twisting the rope especially bad? The portawrap(which I've yet to use) has an elegant simplicity. Are the drawbacks related to turning a rope around a single post worth the complications of more exotic solutions?
Most double braid or 12 strand rigging lines you’d probably never notice the twisting/ hockling on a porty. 3 strand might be more noticeable, and I’m not sure it’d be any better with the Hulk. Your portawrap is a tried and true bomber lowering device. I don’t wanna pass judgment on this thing with nothing to go by but pictures but I’m also not be the guinea pig and buy it.

3 stand loves capstans, bollards, and portawraps, you just have to do them where the wraps go on clockwise, tightening the rope's twists. All 3 were invented with 3 strand ropes, and work superbly. The same thing applies to wire types as well, if you reave them wrong you will mess them up.

A kinked rope is bad and makes for poor moral and usually yelling by me with a few choice words. I would think a friction device that does not kink the rope will do well. But I just reverse wraps on the porty so kinking is not an issue.

25kn minimum breaking doesn't sound very strong for a lowering device.

^^^Is that cool? I guess by extension, is twisting the rope especially bad? The portawrap(which I've yet to use) has an elegant simplicity. Are the drawbacks related to turning a rope around a single post worth the complications of more exotic solutions?
It isn't especially bad (on long lengths) with the bouble braid ropes, as long as you keep inverting the entry side on the portawrap or the bollard after each run. Setting the rope around does give the twist, not running it by itself (running actually pushes the twist at the end of the rope's length used at this moment). With alternating the right/left entry side, the twist from a run cancels the twist of the previous one. If you stay each time on the same side, the rope accumulates all the previous twists and you got an unusable and unbearable mess.

Back