Not logging necessarily, but some pictures.

Perfect timing...I just read this today about building guitars...discusses and shows exactly some of what you just referenced.

I logged timber in the Queen Charlotte Islands that was destined for Yamaha musical instruments.

Isn't it funny how pictures bring back odors and tastes,I felt I could smell that Big Spruce log.

Just like Gin brings back memories of a mele with drunken Natives beside the Kenai river.

I always feel very sad when I see old equipment rusting and dying.
More than in a wreck for example.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Funny thing is that the undercarriage looks to be in pretty good condition. Not sure if it could be repurposed or not? The siderod said he was going to take a torch to the boom and get it out of the way to make moving it easier.

Yessir.

I'd bet the transpo, parts, and labor costs in your part of the world would make repurposing a hard nut to crack, to keep it in the black.

Probably, fwiw stroke boom delimers are out of vogue any way... require huge landings to accommodate the length.

When I logged in the Charlottes in 99 I couldnt beleive the equipment left sitting in the bush.

Trucks, yarders,rigging, blocks etc. All just left sitting when they had finnished the site.

I would love a big " Rope Master K" block. I would rejoice in giving one of those plus two leagues of haywire to a mouthy young buck to carry. "Come on son, I was carrying all that uphill before I was old enough to drink".

Oh how he would laugh...

Yup, I've hauled plenty of "treasure" left in the woods back home over the years. Helicopter logging chokers are sometimes useful. Big haulback blocks not so much! :)

I would rejoice in giving one of those plus two leagues of haywire to a mouthy young buck to carry. "Come on son, I was carrying all that uphill before I was old enough to drink".

Indeed!

Iirc,, a haywire coil weighs 150 lbs. Carrying that through thick brush is a serious undertaking imo.

Indeed!

Iirc,, a haywire coil weighs 150 lbs. Carrying that through thick brush is a serious undertaking imo.

Seems like alot?

5.5mm rope × 110 yards I think was about #30?

The best part by far was the indentations left on your shoulders from the block crushung the rope in, or was it the happy chance of one of the hooks catching your boot and falling over?

So many happy memories!

@stikine

If you can get me a block, I will pay freight. Straight up.

What do one of these haul back blocks look like? And what are they rated at? Do I want one? Maybe I will pay $50 plus freight? :D

Back