New toy

The coastal slope of northwestern California is divided into thousands of forested ridges, and on practically every ridge you will likely find a small, private wood-mill operator.

From steam to diesel to gas to electric. God bless the small operators.

Not very many, on average. I scaled the companies back in 2017 to be able to spend more time with Carly until she started school. She started K4 in August, so I’ve been working that back up.

I still don’t plan on doing any one thing full time long term, but I plan on working more than I have been.

Excellent job stickering it!

Any particular unidentified issues you're having or do you have a good handle on it?

Idk... you may want to support each sticker stack to the floor.

Adding weight on top may reduce warping as it shrinks. I knew a sawyer who dried some flooring using ratchet straps... between shrinking wood and stretching straps he would tighten a click, periodically.

I stacked dry wood on semi-green freshly milled madrona (terrible for twisting, cracking and cupping. I've used a dry board and sand bags in top, too.

Pretty novice hear, but try to listen to people.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Excellent job stickering it!

Any particular unidentified issues you're having or do you have a good handle on it?
I’ve had a number of issues I suppose. There is a slight twist in the carriage that makes changing cut depth a touch jerky but it’s smoothing out over time. Other than that my issues are just going through the learning process. Didn’t realize just how quick you can go through blades ( without hitting metal ) and making sure I keep checking everything for tightness. Lots of things rattled loose in the beginning. It seems important to check blade and belt tension before and during operation, and to release blade tension when finished. I haven’t got a lot of time in it yet as I am busy with tree work. How is your mill working out?

Mine is doing well, picking up another 30 blades (1.5"x.055"x184" Silver Tip Turbo 7) this weekend at a get together in Georgia. I need to get on marketing/generating work for it, I'm confident enough in my ability to turn out wood.

Hopefully ordering a barn/shop next week to put everything in.

Speaking of blades, these 1.5" Turbo 7s don't cut metal worth a darn. I was mowing along cutting dunnage, was 1.3 cuts away from being done with that log.
1649263028574.jpeg
IMG_8044.jpeg
1649263068934.jpeg

Mine is doing well, picking up another 30 blades (1.5"x.055"x184" Silver Tip Turbo 7) this weekend at a get together in Georgia. I need to get on marketing/generating work for it, I'm confident enough in my ability to turn out wood.

Hopefully ordering a barn/shop next week to put everything in.

Speaking of blades, these 1.5" Turbo 7s don't cut metal worth a darn. I was mowing along cutting dunnage, was 1.3 cuts away from being done with that log.
View attachment 119660
View attachment 119661
View attachment 119662
Looks like you went all out on your mill. I figured I’d buy a small mill to learn on and see if I can make money and then get a bigger mill. However the more I mill and turn logs by hand the more I wish I started with something bigger😂

I don’t have a reputation for fiddle farting around on purchases😂. It started as thinking LT40 or better. I’ve thought about ordering a new LT70 Wide for next year, if I could sell this one to pay for that one.

please excuse my ignoance , the first picture in post 31 you have your tractor, mill, and what is the other orange piece of equipment to the left of ya mill?

@Page Mike, what year is your Dingo? And who's/where's your dealer? I've only got one near me and I'm always looking for other options if things go south with them on my end.

Last edited:
@Page Mike, what year is your Dingo? And who's/where's your dealer? I've only got one near me and I'm always looking for other options if things go south with them on my end.
Dingo is a 2016. The closest dealer is Earthborne equipment in Warrington or Norris sales in Norristown. (Although I think recently bought by united rentals)

Back