New toy

My full skip chisel chain's made by Woodland, could be the same company. Regardless, I love their product.

Jomo

I use a cordless dremel with a small grinding stone (catalog # 932) to touch up teeth on my mill.
Takes less time than dismounting / remounting and adjusting tension on a new blade.
A buddy of mine spent about 1K on a bandsaw blade sharpener and he says it is a piece of junk.

A lot of those mills out there. Being able to save the nice chunks of wood will be great. You'll have your garage full in no time. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It is quite addictive and I think you will enjoy it, Jim.
Bit of a learning curve, lolView attachment 117433
I’m sure there is a lot to learn. That’s part of the reason I got it now. I’ll get plenty of use out of it just for my own projects around the house but the intention is to make money with it.

Warping of milled boards is a problem.

Which I think can ba minimalized by screened lateral drying racks that absorb the weight of gravity by the square inch.

Just my opinion mind you......

Jomo

Awesome purchase, good luck with it!

My boss had a Wood Mizer in the early 80s, I used it a lot and twas all good until you hit a nail then waaa, saw no cut straight!

Congratulations Mike. I want a mill but I have enough to do for now. Don’t need to create more work for myself at this time. I just have a friend mill up logs every now and then. I’ve got about 4000 board foot of various species and size. It’ll be good and dry by the time I get to using it.

Got the rails together today. Next is racking and leveling. Gonna move it onto the 6x6’s as well to make it easier to clean under. This part had to be done outside where the mill was going. It was a pretty cold day. Tools would freeze to the ground in about 5 or 6 minutes. I wish I had down time in the summer. 🤣

Attachments

• 58A7A097-37AF-410F-87F6-0A5FCECAC95B.jpeg
    58A7A097-37AF-410F-87F6-0A5FCECAC95B.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 9
Maybe this should be in a new thread but one of the plans I have for this mill is to make all the boards for the deck behind my house. One thing I’m concerned about is how to properly preserve everything. I’m thinking of scorching the logs and oiling them. Does anyone have experience with this? I’ve seen a bunch of videos but since it’s a trend amongst certain demographics it’s hard to know if their technique is correct or mostly just for looks. Obviously people have built with green wood for a long time, I just wanna make sure I don’t waste a lot of time building something that won’t last.

I'm interested in this also. I'd like to learn some techniques for hazardous chemical free wood preservation.

Back