New Lowering Device

I can't understand why most of those chunks couldn't be dropped, no rigging. Must be something I can't see.

Groovy beans!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can't understand why most of those chunks couldn't be dropped, no rigging. Must be something I can't see.

Groovy beans!
The cameras point up, so Id be pretty impressed if you could see or know. Astonished even!

The first chunks were over a lawn, particularly soft due to rainfall. Second lot were over a tarmac drive. It was all in the price as I recall, their choice on the lawn job. I used to get those kind of jobs all the time in the UK. Here in BC its maybe twice a year. Same as crane work, Ive had like 4-5 crane days in over 3 years. In England it was all the time. Quite the contrast.
DSC_0076.JPG DSC03695.JPG DSC03709.JPG

Nobody worries about lawns in Louisiana. You fix the divots and move on... the job is priced accordingly. No client wants to pay the price for not bending a single blade of grass and I'm glad for that! :drink:

I dont worry about lawns either. But if somebody want to pay me to worry about a lawn I'll say 'theres the bill thank you very much'. I'll mess about with ropes all day if thats how they want to spend there money. Its all work :beerchug:

Al, I had 2 things in mind with the 3002. Simultaneous tip and butt tying for extra control of large limbs, and and extra element of safety and rope care when negative rigging i.e. using 2 lines to catch a chunk, or utilizing both bollards with a single line to avoid the line over heating. The lever was an after thought which lent its self well to the elongated shape of the device. The lever is quick and easy to use but obliviously doesn't generate the same M:A as a winch....and is not as easy to make (alignment) as it might appear, within budget. For that reason its being abolished and replaced by the winch on the new 3002 models.

Thanks Reg, that makes good sense on all counts.
I think this new attachable winch is a fantastic progression.

Awesome Reg, finally a lifting device for our crew - thanks, I like this option. Having the winch removable is key.

Reg good stuff. I will purchase one when released and be glad to have one at the proposed cost. The removable aspect is spot on well done sir!

Thanks again guys. Constructive criticisms are always welcome too. Don't hold back if something comes to mind....it's all good. Just bear I'm mind that the goal was to come in within a certain price band. Makes you look at things differently than what might be with a no expense spared approach. I've patiently sat on this design for over a year now, so its somewhat of a relief to see it out there.

That s Darryl in the bucket, not I. I don't do bucket work. I was on the camera....after I topped the tree out. Darryl's just finishing off there.

End of the year Jay, or early 2015.

Tom, the winch is the limiting factor, not the rope. Like I said in the video, we could a gone higher capacity but at a significant loss in speed. I think 1500 single line, or 3000 doubled ought to be sufficient for most tree removal situations.

Looks pretty good for the money, one question, would it not have been possible to have used something quicker than a friction hitch each time to reset the rope, some kind of mechanical device?
I dare say The Shopping Channel have been ringing the phone off the hook offering you work!

What would be the max load say one time?
And is the handle built to fail like they are with
Come alongs/pita?

Not sure what you mean by one time max load, Tom

At near 1500lb and beyond the handle gets really hard to crank. I got a hold of one of those load calculators by Rock Exotica to run some tests. The handle doesnt fail as far as I can see....its just that the gears get maxed out to the point where a single person can no longer turn it, or struggle to at best. I didnt carry on further and put a bar on it for extra leverage or anything like that, just for the hell of it. I would assume it has an MBS of + 5 holding strength, not cranking. At which point something fails. The winch comes with its own set of instructions and maintenance etc, independent from ours. It'd be a silly person that would try to push it beyond what its designed for.

Looks pretty good for the money, one question, would it not have been possible to have used something quicker than a friction hitch each time to reset the rope, some kind of mechanical device?
I dare say The Shopping Channel have been ringing the phone off the hook offering you work!

I wary of rope grabs Mick. In the event of an unexpected shock load it could shred the rope.

Back