Need my first "big saw" advice on ms46x's?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
haha, yeah it was rough and final draft. After I typed it up I honestly just didn't care enough to make it any prettier. In an attempt I also had the heart to make it showing who I am and what I have tried to do. Could almost be given to a future employer explaining why I'm no longer with my last company, I may not be an owner but I feel like that would be kind of impressive.

That's a scary step, but it sounds like you're ready. Continue to follow your heart and passion. It seems like you're jumping off a major cliff but in hindsight it will just be a minor bump in the road. Best wishes for your success, Matt.

You are a good writer...all well put. That level of proficiency in expressing yourself with proper grammar, spelling and lucidity is way above par. Move on with confidence. You're going to impress someone out there that will appreciate you.

Reading your letter, sounds like he got stuck into you a bit more than you let on to us.
Self reflection is a good thing. If you miscalculated on doing side work, you apologized, attempted to make it right...looks like that wasn't good enough.
Bye bye.

When I first started working with him it was great. He was very relational and was a joy to be around. Then he started to become very defensive. Mentors of mine (that also know my boss) said that he is challenged by me and that his issue with it is stemmed in insecurity. Relationally it was almost always a joy to work with him and the other guys as they came and left but a few months back he began to remove the "relational" side (unless he felt like being relational) and make the business "more professional." So I was attached and its been hard to let go but since he wants "professional." Professionally there isn't anything else he can offer me so in the light of my own career and passions, professionally its time for me to find somewhere I can grow

lol so the term tiny hulk came from what other people have called me. I'm only 5ft 7 but I'm 170lbs and built like a physique bodybuilder. I lift near twice my body weight on a regular and toss it around. Ive been called "baby hulk" by many unrelated people from work, gym, church, and family. Only nickname I was ever given. I just thought tiny hulk was a little more "adult-ish" but still funny

Don't necessarily take your first offer from the first company. You're interviewing them as much as they're interviewing you. Ask questions, and keep your eyes open. Try to get a feel of how they operate, and what they can do for *you*.

Good luck with it all.

I couldn’t read the resignation letter as I am in my phone and when people post thumbnails I have trouble seeing them.

Sounds like you made the right move. Know your worth, but be humble with it. You have a lot to learn but the passion and intelligence you seem to possess will set you up in good stead.

Don’t be a know it all and don’t bullshit at new companies as you will be found out very quickly. Not saying you will, but there is selling yourself and there is “selling yourself”. Hence the humble comment.

Every day is an opportunity to learn. I have been doing this full time now for 20 years. Most days I learn something new…. Even if it is just how not to do a job the next time.

Remember, “there is more than one way to skin a cat” as the expression goes.

Good luck.

All the best to you, Mr. Hulk.
Based on your posts I think you have your head screwed on right and you will do ok.
Dave

And there you go, in one week you completely changed your trajectory in life! I'm sure you'll be fine, God gave you 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason. Shop around until you find an outfit that has the right wages and working conditions, and then learn as much as you can.

Oh and I think its funny how this went from a question about some saws to y'all walking me through leaving a company and now finding another. Been lots of drama and very insightful. Big thanks to all of you! ill let y'all know what happens after these interviews

Absolutely work for the companies you're looking at for a day or two. Should be paid, gives you a chance to check out the vibe of a place

Talk to the employees and inquire about turnover. A person willing to learn treework will not have a hard time finding work.

That’s what the one company made me feel he was wanting to do. That I would work with him next week and see if we moved forward from there

One of the greatest gifts you can give yourself is time.
I've heard it called 'the executive pause', take the information on board then give yourself time to digest it. Ruminating over a day or so allows you some perspective, and either consolidate your position and go for it, or come up with items to question or follow up on.

Sounds great! The one company I talked to already said we would do some working interviews at $20 an hour. Pays his current climber $400 a day and would like to see me replace him at that rate. He mentioned a lot of the same things y’all have without me even mentioning. So can’t wait to give y’all an update for how next week goes

400 usd a day a good money but dont spect that from day 1.

I would expect a 400usd a day climber on the book will be expected to be ‘a Don’.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, be honest about your abilities and sell yourself. But don’t BS.

Sound like a great opportunity though.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I found that the 8 tooth and 20” bar is dangerous. Now I want to get a mastermind build even more. The thing screams through the logs. Almost time to sharpen it up now. Get rid of that dull factory edge😄

And as everyone else has said, don’t over sell yourself to a potential employer. But also don’t settle. Use the working interviews to learn as much as you can from them whether you take the job or not.

Back