Need my first "big saw" advice on ms46x's?

Your dealer has rim sprockets. There are 2 rim sizes (for large or small saws) and they come in all chain sizes with different numbers of drive pins. They are held in place with an E clip (don't lose it!). You can pull it off with a small flat screwdriver and put it back on with needle nose pliers. Ask your dealer for a large spline, 3/8ths pitch 8 pin rim sprocket.

Here's a picture of a 7 pin, I don't have an 8 pin in the shop. Supplies are all gone since selling the business last year. IMG_0355.JPG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Went to the shop and they were completely dumbfounded by the idea of putting a different pin sprocket on the saw. Even the guy that’s been doing it for over 30 years was confused. Kinda shows you how naive a lot of the industry around me is. Wish I could find a real saw shop around here but guess the market just isn’t big enough here for it. Thanks for all the help! I found the stihl part # and they ordered me one

Oh and another question. What is kind of the industry standard when it comes to employer/employee and chainsaws? Is it normal for the employer to supply all saws for the job or is it normal for certain employees to supply there own?

Keep your eyes open, and if you see a Stihl sign while you're traveling, stop in and look around. I got turned on to a great sawhop from a guy online. I have to drive a good ways to get there, but it's totally worth the trip.

Employer usually. I provide a few of my own but we negotiated that in my pay. I do this so no one else will touch them.

If you bring your own stuff, make sure you are compensated for it, and they will replace it if it gets broken.

Yeah, I think I’m going to quit bringing my saw to work and establish that boundary with the boss. I just didn’t know what the “industry norm” is.

Oh and what would be “appropriate compensation” for bringing my own saws on to the job?

Making yurself indispensable to your boss is a step in the right direction, IME.

Jomo

What's the stuff cost? What's a ground guy go for in the area? Are you working for family? If you are being asked to show up with your own gear your wages should show it.

Also, does your employer carry workers comp and liability insurance that covers you? If not, you're an independent contractor and should get liability coverage for yourself and charge to cover that.

Longtime (30 years in business) local hack Got popped for acting like employees were independent. Had to pay a huge fine and get covered, but his employees were totally on the line for work related injuries and damage before that happened. Not cool. Definitely look into that.

Personally I have all my own climbing gear, rigging gear (which my boss has as well so mine normally isn’t needed), my top handle saw, and I just got the 500i, I make $16 an hour but the company was originally a landscape company and that is we’re I’m indispensable to the boss. I know all of his equipment, every season, the type of work, how he wants it done and am his hardest working employee. Since he lost the last crew lead, I’m the only one that can run a crew single-handedly. So $16 an hour is on the upper/good side of what a landscape crew lead around here makes. Groundie? I have no idea what they normally get around here.

I know we have liability and am fully insured. I know the boss said he was going to get workman’s comp when he recently upgraded the insurance but I don’t think he actually did it cause the price was too high

The workers comp is for you. You are a beat up pickup truck away from being your own outfit. You are assuming all the risk with zero of the reward.

Not acceptable IMO. Like tree09 said, workers comp covers your ass. You're A pickup and some Phone calls away from you're own thing. You're also currently one small accident from being totally screwed. Broken foot? not only do you lose working time But the med bills fall on you without a lawsuit. Again, having employees without Workers comp is totally unacceptable

@Tree09 i have two pickup trucks I’m about to finish building and plan on getting my own business license next month. I work 5 days a week, then one for God, and the last day can be a tree job a week for myself.

I’m going to start my own business and just pray and practice patience. See where God leads me in time and what chapters open and close. I know I want to have my own business. I was raised in business and always knew I would have one. I’ve learned so much from my own boss but to be honest. He may be a more experienced business man but we started the tree journey together and I’ve surpassed him in all things skill and knowledge base. I’m just more passionate than he is but granted he doesn’t have the time to invest in it like I do. Many of times I feel like he is holding me back but I know feelings are not always factual. Ultimately it is his business and I have to do it the way he wants it done at the pace he wants. As much as it bothers me I have to honor him in that

IMO if your boss is running rotted out trailer hitches and thinks work comp is expensive he should see how expensive things get when somebody gets hurt. Work comp will be real cheap.
From my perspective Tiny I would be running as fast as I can from that outfit. Stay safe!

I hear ya flushcut. My boss is a better man than I am making him out to be. The company has grown so aggressively the last few years he doesn’t know how to handle that and in the last year we start doing tree work. Workers comp wasn’t really necessary when all they were doing was cutting grass a few days a week. Now we can’t keep up with the work coming in to us then you add the tree work on top of it. Which honestly we are just now starting to do a tree job a week so the tree work wasn’t even great enough to cover the additional expenses of insurance none the less workers comp. Something I’m kind of hoping for is that as I start my own business that this summer he will find more men that are capable of running a crew so that either he can put the money in to the tree side and I’ll run that or I won’t be as essential as I am now so that I could leave and do my own thing

You can still get effed up mowing lawns. You have to drive from job to job with a truck and trailer. You can get you leg or foot cut off by a mower. You can catch a rock to the eye from a blower, weed whip, and a mower just as easily. Work comp is for you not so much your bosss.
Anyway stay safe.

Will do flushcut thanks. I have a lot of thinking to do. I will say im all the more motivated to get my business license

Every state is different but in Florida WC is required for all companies with more than 3 employees. That's why so many tree guys stay below 3 employees. WC can add 50% to your payroll costs, it's insane.

Since I started my business over 30 years ago, I've always had Worker's Comp insurance for my employees, and for myself even though it's not required. Only one claim in all that time and it was for me when I tore my bicep tendon.

Tree work isn't even close to mowing. Even if you are mowing you need work comp. He has flat out said to you that he can't afford work comp, even with you personally supplying all of the tools and only making 16 bucks an hour. You are so green you don't even know when you are getting frigged. Of course he is booking work left and right, with zero labor or tools he can't possibly lose money.

Back