Need my first "big saw" advice on ms46x's?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah Skwerl wc pricing is horrible here aswell. There is no requirement for it but I know va is absolutely horrible with all things taxes, especially business. things may change this summer but as soon as I can get my own business and be able to sustain myself and then some. I may deviate away from him next fall

Went to the shop and they were completely dumbfounded by the idea of putting a different pin sprocket on the saw. Even the guy that’s been doing it for over 30 years was confused. Kinda shows you how naive a lot of the industry around me is. Wish I could find a real saw shop around here but guess the market just isn’t big enough here for it. Thanks for all the help! I found the stihl part # and they ordered me one
How much did it cost? I've tried ordering Stihl rims from the dealer, and they want an insane price, when Oregon rims are under $10

Something I’m kind of hoping for is that as I start my own business that this summer he will find more men that are capable of running a crew so that either he can put the money in to the tree side and I’ll run that or I won’t be as essential as I am now so that I could leave and do my own thing
I wouldn't get your hopes up too high. It could happen quickly, but just don't be surprised if it doesn't, because it seems hard to find enough good help in the tree biz. A way you can help is to do your best to train any new guys to be as good as you if not better. The guy I work for hasn't found any more guys to work all year. One groundie/climber didn't work out after a couple weeks, 2 ground guys we tried out for a couple days and didn't work out, several no shows. Gained one ground guy who's a relative of the climber, and he's getting better. I'd like to move away from removals and more in to firewood if there was enough good help on the removal side of things, but I'm not sure that will work out. I think there's better money for me in firewood as much as I can process quickly.

@Mellow as a climber I’m sure I deserve that. As a landscaper $16 is good around here.
@Nutball it was only $8.99. I found the stihl part number for them from looking at the item description of the Oregon one on baileys. And remember my boss and I started the tree journey at the same time and I have surpassed him in knowledge and skill. I try to teach the new guys and he gets mad at me because I may be “overwhelming them with information,” or another line I hear a lot is that “everything will be taught the way I want it taught at the pace I want it taught,” oh and the one that has really ground my gears in the past, “I don’t care, I don’t want you to say that.” He will literally tell me what “not” to say even if it is true. Ultimately it’s not in my attempt to disobey him but if he doesn’t like something then that is the response. I don’t hope to make any amazing jump in to my own business which is why I would like to start by dealing with him long enough to get my business started and if I can get one good job a week then that one job would pay me what I make with him in a week. But we are done with the work day and I’m waiting on him to get back from the dump because he wants to talk to me. Let’s see how this goes lol. May be giving him a notice and looking for a new company to go to sooner than I thought (depending on what he says to me). Lol 😝

Kids at McDonalds are making $15-16 per hour. If he can't pay you more than that for doing tree work on top of the landscaping, then it may be time to find greener pastures. He's not doing you any favors no matter what he says. $15 is chicken feed.
Some places especially out in the country haven't caught up yet to the recent minimum wage changes, and the great expense of worker's comp insurance and new emissions compliant over computerized equipment with steel being more expensive nowadays makes it hard for a lot of tree businesses to keep up with fair pay. I also think that companies that move from mowing and landscaping to trees have a hard time justifying higher pay because they are so used to cheap labor. I would know, because that is where I'm at. It took me a while to convince my boss to let me help out with firewood for $25hr when he wanted to hire some cheap mexicans. He was letting one of his mower work on firewood for $12.50hr, and I've proven to be over 2-3 times as fast. Last year he sold his mowing business and quit the landscaping, and went full time trees. Anyway, he was very happy with my performance doing firewood, but I'm not yet earning what I know I'm worth and have been paid by others doing firewood. On the tree side of things, I'm not getting much, and could almost double my pay somewhere else, but where I'm at has its small perks like super close location, small business with more of a relaxed feel, the firewood side of things, and the friends I have there. But, I have no problem leaving if the right offer/opportunity comes along, and I think they sort of know that.

Look into private disability insurance coverage if you are gonna be doing treework on your own dime.
Good variety of policies available with premiums based on amount of monthly payout and deductible you choose.
I've had a number of claims. . .

All great information guys. I have another question, if you own a tree business and you have an employee that you trained from the ground up how to be a climber and he chooses to stay with you but to get his own business license and insurance so that he can make some side money and be safe on his days off. as the employer who gave this guy all the skill, how do you feel

There's a line somewhere between occasional moonlighting, and competing for business, or running a side business using someone else's gear, especially if you show up in a branded truck or something.

edit:
If you aren't comfortable telling the boss exactly what you're doing, and how you're doing it, you've crossed the line.

I told him and today he gave me the ultimatum. No side work, business license, and the tree I already agreed to do and bought the saw for I have to cancel that or today was my last day working for him. After a very long conversation I proposed that I do the tree for my friend and that would be it. He said he will call me tomorrow. Honestly I kinda want to be done but it’s hard to close that chapter. I’m about to call a few places around and see if I can find any better opportunities

I’m gonna let him make the decision whether he “wants me” or not but regardless I’m going to call some local places and see what I can find out

If it was me, I'd go in person. I don't know you at all of course, but you sound like you're on the ball, and put together. Let them see what they're dealing with instead of some rando crackhead cold calling for jobs they don't want to do.

Part of growing up is learning some basic things about work and employment, and when you are being taken advantage of. A no compete clause for a fly by night hack landscaping/tree service? :lol: get your tools, all of them, and tell him bye, and do it tomorrow. Have you noticed that they keep talking about a labor shortage on the news? Everyone and their brother is hiring right now so it won't be hard to get another job at all, my advice would be to go union construction and don't look back. friggin' ultimatum :lol: you will find that if you let people take advantage of you they will, and if you don't they won't. Your boss pays what he has to, not because he likes you. Always remember that.

I’m pretty much at peace with being done with him. Gonna go work on my trucks tomorrow and see if I can find somewhere new to work that won’t care about if I wanna do a pruning or some light tree work on the side to save to buy a house

When I was your age, I decided I was going to buy a house by the time I was 25. It took until I was 31, but I did it. Best financial decision I ever made. When I was 39, I refinanced it and bought my first bucket truck.

Time to start calling and driving around tomorrow looking for a new company :)

Onward to better things! Might be some stumbling blocks ahead, but that's life. You'll do great with your attitude and work ethic :^)

Back