Need my first "big saw" advice on ms46x's?

Makita isn't out of the gas saw game at all, in fact a year or two ago they stopped making the dolmar name now it's just called makita.

Raj how do you feel about the 361 when working down a spar?

It's all about how much horsepower you want to carry. 261, 361, 462, each is a little heavier with more power. Yuo will need to figure this out yourself as far as how much weight you want to carry for how much horsepower. If there were one correct answer then we all would be using the same saw.

Gas saws are going away. That's what I heard from a dealer anyhow.

edit:

I'm sorry, i just saw it. Damn. March they stop. That's too bad, i love my dolmar stuff

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Skwerl I guess my concern is buying a saw then just really needing more. When it comes to spending $800, jumping to 1100 at that point isn’t a huge emotional deal to me (probably should be). If I were to only have two saws, my top handle and a bigger saw for felling at most a 36in tree but also being light enough to work the spar down if need be. Eventually I would buy more saws but for the next year or so I would like to buy just one more saw. Trying to buy a house in 1.5 years

Dolmar has a good reputation, but I've never seen one in the wild. Everything here is Stihl or Husky with a smattering of echo.

I'd consider getting one if they weren't going away. I like that Makita teal pretty well.

Every saw needs a backup counterpart.

Thinking you can get away with just two saw's an unrealistic fantasy.

That outlook's what distinguishes a pro from an amateur.

Takes a bare minimum of 6 saws IME.

8's even better!

Jomo

The company I work for we run 7 saws but these would just be my personal ones for my side work. Would probably be used 2-3 times a month. Ofcourse that will change over time and that’s when I would obtain more saws

There's a huge difference between pruning and removal top handled saws.

The right tool for the right application's important for little folks aloft.

If 36 inch wood's your target for a big saw?

The 461 or 462 with a 25inch bar will more than suffice.

My all time favorite light midsize saw's are Husky 254XP's and 262XP's.

Most of my light pruning's done with a Makita electric these days.

Jomo

Yeah Jomo my current top handle is the echo Cs355t 16in bar and I love it. Eventually I want to get a 2511 but I’m curious about there new electric top handle that’s supposed to be out later this year. Spec wise I’m seeing that the exho 590, husky 460, and the new ms462cm all have a dry weight of 13.2lbs. So would they all be the about the same weight with say a 20in bar? Anyone handled any/all of these saws that could confirm that? Thank you all so much for your time and input. I’m learning a lot with all of you

My advice is to invest in the profession you've chosen to the point you become indispensable to your boss.

Prior to becoming an independent contractor.

Jomo

So, my turn to chime in. I'm 5'3" and 120lbs after Christmas food.

I own a 462 20" bar and have used it up in the tree while climbing and out of a lift. Its my limit for weight up in the tree. I would not want to be lugging it around for too long.
My full complement is all Stihl) 150t 12" with muffler mod, 200t 14", 260 16", 462 20". I'm not called the 'Acolyte of the short bar' for nothing, there is a shit ton you can do on trees up to 3x bar length with the right cut sequence.
Having said that, a nice long bar balance with the right powerhead would be nice for three cuts and done.

I had a 461 from new, then traded it in with only maybe 8hrs on it for a 462 after reading the endorsements from some here who cut a LOT of trees. Don't look back, lighter and cuts outside its pay grade. Read the instructions and 'tune and train' the computer carb properly the first time and wow!

I have also run a 262 and will buy one of those once I feel for some reason I 'need' to upgrade...its lighter and slimmer than the 260, but the 260 is still doing everything I ask of it so...

We are a landscape company that has turned to tree climbing. My boss is a very educated individual and we began the climbing journey together. I’m his top paid employee and right hand. I may not be much to another tree climbing company but to him I can run his business and every season we operate in. My passion is to build a career with him but if I’m able to help out friends, family, and church members and help me save to buy a home and as well get my gear/equipment up so I can have a fruitful career like all of you. That’s really where my heart is

Buy the best quality equipment you can afford. It will save you hours and $$$ in lost time and repairs.
Good luck!!

Bermy that’s good to hear. My saw jump went from a 261 to a 661. I’m 5 7 and 170lbs of muscle. Physically not a lot of people hang with me (I mean that humbly and after 10 years of gym and physical training, I’m also a personal trainer). So to hear of another “smaller guy” that can handle a saw like a 462 is encouraging. Shows me how strong you are for your size which is impressive. I love this industry and this is what I want my career to be in unless God calls me elsewhere. Even then you probably wouldn’t get me out of a tree lol. If this job I’m going to see on Monday happens then I think I’ll be getting the 462c. I know I keep going back and forth guys. I’m a horrible shopper but I do lots of research and thinking. All of you have been a huge help

Oh and another question. I’m starting to like the idea of having that 20in bar in the tree and everyone seems to comment about walking around the tree to complete the cut. Maybe this is a question for the climbing forum but any tips for addressing a “walk around” on spurs with a heavy leaning tree?

Budget constraints make it tough. When you can just buy what you need, you don't have to think about it. Prioritizing is where the decisions get difficult.

Who wants to tell him...???
It's all good, having a wee bit of fun at your expense, you can handle it I'm sure...I'm a lady arborist :) So, if that helps you even more figure out being able to manage a 462 or a saw of similar weight in the tree, you've got another benchmark ::):

Ruel I haven’t heard from him yet but hopefully I will. I grew up in an automotive shop so if anything is wrong I can fix it.

Haha! Yeah we can laugh at the new guy tonight :) didn’t stop to look at your profile bermy. Thanks for being an encouragement in this industry and helping out us new guys

Lxs I think any one in this industry has to be pretty tough but all the more impressive to see someone break the stereotype. I mean that for any gender, culture, or race. Takes real confidence and determination

Back