Need my first "big saw" advice on ms46x's?

My first big saw pre-tree biz was a MS461R I bought back in 2014. Saw is the most reliable one I have, and it usually wears a 25 or 28 in. bar. Now that I climb again, I have no desire to have it up in the air with me, as the wrap handle does tend to get in the way depending on the tree. I was lucky enough to score a regular 461 at the end of last year just after they discontinued it for the big ones I need to block down. Never had a problem with the oil caps on either. Both really dependable saws, and I can tune/repair the majority of what's up with them as needed (hell, my 461R has been so good, haven't even needed to change the plug yet, and it's easily got over 600 hours on it now; starts up in 2-3 pulls every time).

Add-on: I also have a 36' ES Light bar for it, and it has no problem pulling that for large bucking/falling work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So if we were looking for one saw with about a 20in bar that would be good in the tree for bucking down say a 30-36in oak spar, what saw would that saw be? anything bigger than that I wouldn't take on "for a friend." would have to go to the boss and hire the whole company. skwerl last time I had to buck down a spar with the 261, It was right at the end that my left forearm was getting tired and I'm a pretty strong guy lol. Im considering starting my own business as a "tree climbing service" for capable homeowners so that's why I really want a bigger saw. my top handle can't do it all

I'll buck down up to 30" spars with my 261 and the 20" bar on it. As long as the chain is sharp, that saw eats trees (and I'm mostly hardwoods up here like you probably are). Second favorite saw of my collection.

If yopu want to move up to the 3/8 chain that the bigger saws run, see if you can track down a 362 (make sure it has the adjustable oiler; newer models have to have that special ordered if non-Mtronic). Probably the lightest of that series, and the 4.8HP does just fine. I've got one for the brush monkeys for bucking bigger logs, and it gets a bit too hot running the 25" bar that came with it on long sessions (as I didn't know about the oiler until after purchase; my mistake). .

Maybe backup a little. What saws do you personally have? What do intend on doing with saws you personally own? A 462 is a good complement to a 261, then your top handle below that. You really should have a range of saws. Ya need to define objectives, then factor your budget in, and make a plan. If you need your own "big" climbing saw, a 261 would be good, but you should have something bigger for use on the ground.

So all I currently own is my top handle echo cs355t with a 16in bar. I have friends and church members that want me to do some removals/pruning for them where they will handle all of the disposal/processing for firewood. The main guy I'm thinking of for this saw has an oak tree right by his house and I need another saw to complete the job. I go to see it in person this Monday but my guess would be about a 30in dbh. I may not even take the job but if I can do it and he would essentially be paying for my new saw then its a win for me. Just checked google for picture of the tree from when he recently bought the house and this is what I found. Maybe a little bigger than 30in lol.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 9.22.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 9.22.55 PM.png
    9.6 MB · Views: 12
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 9.24.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 9.24.08 PM.png
    9.4 MB · Views: 10
So all I currently own is my top handle echo cs355t with a 16in bar. I have friends and church members that want me to do some removals/pruning for them where they will handle all of the disposal/processing for firewood. The main guy I'm thinking of for this saw has an oak tree right by his house and I need another saw to complete the job. I go to see it in person this Monday but my guess would be about a 30in dbh. I may not even take the job but if I can do it and he would essentially be paying for my new saw then its a win for me. Just checked google for picture of the tree from when he recently bought the house and this is what I found. Maybe a little bigger than 30in lol.

Budget? You could get a 261 and an echo 590 for about $1k. If that's too much money, I might just get the 590 and deal with it. It'll suck to climb with, but it'll do a lot of work, and you can get some money together for other saws.

My heart lies with Husky but dealer support is grossly lacking so I wrench more.
A ported 395 will do 60” daily in soft wood and 48” in hardwood for as long as you are physically able to pull the trigger. And then the saw will call you a pussy. Rocking .404 pitch.
I bleed orange fyi.

I was prepared to spend around $1000 for a saw. figured that would easily be covered in that removal and ill have the saw for many years to come. The echo 590 is 10cc's bigger and weighs 3 more pounds. Is it really gonna rip that much more than the 261 to justify having both? I only ask cause I have no idea. My jump has been from the 261 to the 661

I have done some research in husky and they seem good but there's no dealer support in my area and I have yet to find a skilled local chainsaw tech that I would trust with porting anything

You can buy one hell of a used ported saw for a grand. But yeah finding a competent saw mechanic is like finding a unicorn.
How much do you plan running this saw a day?

wouldn't really be much. When I work with the company it might be twice a week but I wouldn't really bring my own big saw to the job, just my top handle. that may change with time but it would only be for personal jobs when felling/bucking down a tree. I really just want a saw that is bad ass enough to fell a 36in tree fairly easily but at the same time go in the tree with me.

60cc is a weird size, but versatile. It's about as midrange as you'll get in a saw. I wouldn't want to buck up 30" oak on the ground with a 261. You won't be doing that for this job, but what about the next? I suggest the 590 due to its cheapness and versatility. It's just a placeholder til you get the saws you really need, which are in the 50cc and 70cc range. It'll out perform a 261 in big wood, but it's relatively heavy.

yeah you got me really thinking about that one. I can muscle my way through this tree with that one saw and when more bigger jobs start coming my way be able to get some easier set ups like you mentioned. at roughly 400 you can't really beat that

Yeah from what I was just seeing the echo 590 and the newest ms462cm have the same dry weight of 13.2lbs. I feel like when I see the tree on Monday and can get some measurements I’ll either go with the 261 or the new 462 and just deal with it for the job. Another thought, I could always get my saws sent out of state to a known chainsaw mechanic in the future to get them modded. What are some average price ranges for those services

Maybe $400? You intend on doing this professionally, right? If it was me, I'd get a collection of stock saws I liked to use. If you then see a spot where porting would be useful, buy a brand new saw and get the work done on that. You're gonna need backups anyway, cause life happens, and it'll be easier on everyone using a new machine.

Yeah lxskiller im absolutely in love with this work, especially climbing work. I’ll climb 10 trees before I get in a bucket and even then it’s only because I have to for that job. I’m very strong but that still doesn’t mean I want to lug the heaviest saw around in a 110 degree summer day. I think I’m liking the combo of the 261 and 461. When I see this tree on Monday I’ll buy whichever saw I’ll need for that job to finish it and buy the other saw later when the work comes in. I have 4 personal jobs now lined up but there all pruning or small removals I can do with just my top handle.

I run MS260, MS361, MS461 for most of the tree work I get. I like the Stihls, only because parts are a couple steps up from Echo and Husky in my area.

Raj how do you feel about the 361 when working down a spar?

typically the largest I get to rig down is 8ft pieces depending on the job. Most of our work is in little back yards over top of houses and sheds. My desire is to get the 462c but I have no experience with the saw and all of the experienced guys tell me that its too much saw for regular climb work so I'm thinking about getting the 261. ive used that and the 250 and I like the 261 in the tree. in the last year we have only had 3 trees that have gone over 36dbh and normally there an oak tree. so as long as the saw can work down a spar that size and fell the last 20-30ft then I'm golden

Maybe just try it, and see what you think. If you don't know anyone with a bigger saw, it looks like homedepot will rent a 64cc Makita(Dolmar). You might even get lucky, and they'll have a rental for purchase at a good price. Makita's out of the gas saw business though, so if something like that is available, keep in mind the parts supply will diminish over time.

Your absolutely right lxs. The Home Depot by me has a 64cc makita with a 20in bar for only $68.

Back