National Economy Improving ?

Altissimus

TreeHouser
... the last four years have been rough for selling, it seems like maybe things really have bottomed out and perhaps I will enough good paying jobs for the next few months ... have gone back to cold calling and leaving notes and cards on doors which I have not had to do in years ... job sign on the roadside too ... also getting some calls from previous customers who have Tree needs but have been waiting, years in some cases. My big fear is some Middle East event spikes fuel prices thus cracking the recovery then I'm selling work on "Walton's Mountain" again. Are things getting better for or worse for the other Treehousers?

Better, absolutely.
The Chinese have found out that it is virtually free to ship wood back to China, since all the shipping containers go back empty anyway.
One Chinese log byer a friend of mine talked to was bitching about the high cost of having the logs transported to the harbour:lol:

So they are buying almost everything we fall right now.
Which means logging is going strong again, here.

They are scarfing up a hell of a lot of Walnut in the states now too.

Terrible economy here, almost as bad as the politicians.

I believe its getting better. I see it in my work, and the national numbers are coming around slowly.

Things are good here. Several large construction projects are steaming along and have been able to proceed almost all Winter due to mild temps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
... Stig is fortunate to have the Chinese help the logger, here the big mills have invested in large stationary chippers ... the low grade material goes there then to China. I don't see much benefit here from it. After chopping, fowarding, then trucking the mill hardly pays.

ive had to drop my prices to counter the effects of the economy
we're about 30 percent less than we'd like to be on some jobs
and some that are just hard or want super a r pruning will pay what its worth
some days i just get the mens daily rate and fuel, no equip money or percentage over
but if it keeps my guys out there every day 5 days i week im willing to go for it
i think my money comes off of volume

the chinese were buying logs here for awhile, but i dont know of much going their way right now,
logs have slipped in value, and its getting harder to get rid of loads of logs, even redwood or doug fir which are my better paying trees, i sell to small mills and wait to get paid, which i dont like,
at least we have the month booked out, and i had an extra climber in for a week to help us catch up

i havent been climbing in a few weeks, im trying to let some chronic injuries heal up a bit before i go at it so hard again

It's still slow, here. Lots of storm work if I felt like chasing the stuff south, but Elkhart, South Bend, and Mishawaka are my preferred stomping grounds. Being just a hired gun with no trucks and such to worry about is handy at slow times. I meet my needs.

all while trying to come up with money to fix a boom and buy a tow behind, i cant afford for the economy to bottom out now.

and i agree if the middle east de stabilizes, fuel will sky rocket, the general population will panic, and once again it'll be like post 9/11 and the jobs will dry up as people hold their money and wait to see what happens

i say screw iran, let isreal deal with it, and if needed send a small tactical nuke their way and level the place off the map

then the texas oil rig fire fighters can go in after the cloud settles and cap off the wells...so at least texas will get some $ out of it....i know i just opened the worm can, but i dont want to see 1 us troop on the ground there, and isreal is chomping at the bit to eat them up, so why not let them use their resources and their people,

I am in a unique situation up here in ND. We have the Bakken and Three Forks Oil patches going nuts. A big construction boom for that plus flood recovery from last summer when about 4000 homes were destroyed. There is a help wanted sign in every window. Airport boardings went up from 20,000 to 300,000 in the past year. We have been trying to find help in the Parks Department, but with McDonalds and such places paying $15+ per hour, they will have to raise wages a little to get a lot of serious applications. The big drawback for people coming in to fill these positions is lack of housing. Too cold for most campers this time of year and all apartments, houses and motels are sold or booked when they are started. A combination of the best and worst of both worlds.

Money seems tight here and I don't think the economy has hit bottom yet as they keep screwing with it.
Some of the people up here are spending more this winter than normal as we have had a good winter tourist season.
Jobs are getting smaller by the numbers. Yesterday was a prime example. The black oak I did was part of a three oak job that down sized once we got there. Some of my solid monthly accounts are now every other month. I just raised my rates as fuel is now approaching $5.00 per gallon and inflation is eating profits. Mostly on the home front with food prices.
Food is still on the table.
Bills are still paid.
Repairs and projects are a tad behind.
Booked out through May now but I ain't counting my chickens.
Work involving burning is almost a moot point with the dry winter we are having and that effects my larger jobs in winter. Riding the ride and see what happens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
... so far this Spring, I actually have a near normal work load. Customers are spending some perhaps it is connected to improved stock market performance. Nice to have work to do and money to earn!

Back