MS200 rear handle or MS260 Pro

What pains me is that i love the 200T. I think it is a great saw and I do not look forward to switching to a rear handled saw but if I'm going to make my guys use it, Ill be the first one out there with it.

I would never work for a boss who never one handed a 200T. Larger companies with strict rules for everyone tend to drive away the most skilled talent, so you end up with mediocre treemen all trying to follow rules intended for the lowest common denominator. :(

Expect to lose your best men over this. If they have any skills at all, they will find a better place to work.

I would never work for a boss who never one handed a 200T. Larger companies with strict rules for everyone tend to drive away the most skilled talent, so you end up with mediocre treemen all trying to follow rules intended for the lowest common denominator. :(

Expect to lose your best men over this. If they have any skills at all, they will find a better place to work.

Well, I disagree.

I don't see your logic here. You wouldn't work for someone who is concerned, above all else, with your safety?

And today, in this economy especially, considering the amount of time, energy and money we put in to our guys I can assure you we will not be losing people because they can't one hand a saw. And if we do, good riddance.

The rule I enforce is, you can one-hand if there is a reason for it. I won't tolerate onehanding just for the sake of onehanding.
I believe some things can be done safer with one hand.

I enforce that protocol as well.

Well, let us know when you have to sell off the overage on the 200Ts :D

IF any of my guys one hand they get another job with out a saw.
But that's just me and Rob we are the owners and the rest that have worked for us are definitely in the low spectrum of intelligence, work ethic and practice, and common sense..
Rather not take the chance with that element..

The wisdom of safety concerns notwithstanding, personally, from my own experience and observations, I think it is naive and impractical to make a firm rule against one handing a saw, when applying it to experienced people. I think it better for competent (meaning experienced) individuals who are in good saw handling condition, to be able to make that decision for themselves, given the situation. That isn't to say that the cautions about one handing shouldn't be expressed and reminded, if the management is concerned about it. Just my 2....

I think it is naive and impractical to make a firm rule against one handing a saw, when applying it to experienced people. I think it better for competent (meaning experienced) individuals who are in good saw handling condition, to be able to make that decision for themselves, given the situation. That isn't to say that the cautions about one handing shouldn't be expressed and reminded, if the management is concerned about it. Just my 2....

:thumbup:

Exactly...

The realm of professional chainsaw usage covers many techniques that are considered taboo for occasional users. While it is important to keep the safety of ones charges in mind at all times, proper applications of one-handing, bore-cutting, and for that matter, even starting the foolish contraption, should be within the capacity of the professional powersaw user.

Having worked with sharp cutting tools just about everyday, for the last thirty years plus, including machinery and chainsaws, it basically comes down to knowing what you're doing, to prevent injury, as opposed to any firm rules, other than, "Don't do anything stupid". I do things with a table saw that would horrify a lot of people, but I'm easy with it.

Some people with lengthy experience are prone to injury, I have professional woodworking friends like that. They seem to injure themselves in spite of any prevention, aside from quitting the work, but fortunately they are the rarity.

One handing is good, it saves steps in the tree. Reach out and let'er rip.

Real world, I one hand the 200t lots.

I've 'played' with chainsaws all of my life. The 200t is designed as a one handed tool. If you need to cut in an ackward or dangerous position and you can use two hands great. If not I don't sweat it none.

Real world, I one hand the 200t lots.

I've 'played' with chainsaws all of my life. The 200t is designed as a one handed tool. If you need to cut in an ackward or dangerous position and you can use two hands great. If not I don't sweat it none.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Well said.

Drop starting with brake on, and not set to full throttle is ok by me. I like that feature on the Husky saws, might have to modify the Stihls so they don't go straight to plaid(1) every time you try to cold start them.

1 Spaceballs reference.

Have we no subscript/superscript option?

Which part?

Plaid, a speed faster than the speed of light.

I wanted to superscript the 1 and put a footnote at the bottom, instead of putting the 1 in parenthesis.

How about adjusting the chain when the engine is running, with the old style adjuster in the little space there, is that a no no? ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pics

Here's a couple of the new 200 rear handle. It runs like a top and so far seems like it'll perform to task just fine.

Attachments

• IMG_0874.JPG
    IMG_0874.JPG
    459.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0873.JPG
    IMG_0873.JPG
    482.6 KB · Views: 3
Back