MS200 rear handle or MS260 Pro

What I want to know can the rear handle 200 be one handed up in the trees limbing without nose heavy feeling?
With the throttle handle moved from on top of the saw to the back of the saw, I would say 'obviously not'. It can be done, but not as easily as the top handle version. But that is the obvious trade off. On the other hand, you get much more ergonomic spacing between the handles with better control. I haven't run one, but I've handled a couple and may possibly buy one this year when it's time to replace the oldest of my three 200T's.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd not try onehanding the 200 rearhandle except on very rare occasions.

Butch has it all over me on hand, wrist, and arm strength, though...so read my opinion with that in mind.

I just fine tuned on both carbs today and couldn't really find nothing wrong that I could see. Maybe they both just had their periods at the same time, heck if I know but it wasnt funny at the time.

If they leave me hanging again on my trimming duties Kaboom!

That is one of the drawbacks of owning a bunch of saws that don't get ran on a regular bassis .When you need them they take a fit on you .

Which reminds me ,I need to see if that elasto gizmo will work on a 200T. It had slipped my mind up to now .Duh .

I am not a big fan of one handing a saw while climbing.

A rear handled 200 can be one-handed but it is pretty much the same procedure for a top handle. The arm is straight, outward from the body and below the waist letting the weight of the saw make the cut with the direction of the cut away from the body.

I would never one hand a rear or top handle over my head or if I was in close proximity to my body if I am climbing. One hand cutting and pitching with a rear handle isn't safe if your climbing. Making snap cuts or finishing the cut with a hand saw is much more safer and makes controlling the work piece easier and safer. Just my thoughts.

The one handed cut and pitch with a top handle is for bucket work. Using a rear handle in a bucket and trying to cut and pitch is awkward and is inviting an accident. Again just my thoughts

A rear handled 200 makes a dandy climbing saw and with both hands on it you get more reach than you do with a top handle. The rear handled 200 also makes a dandy little ground saw.

I'd not try onehanding the 200 rearhandle except on very rare occasions.

Butch has it all over me on hand, wrist, and arm strength, though...so read my opinion with that in mind.

I one hand as little as possible. Here's a pic of the weight I use to strengthen my forearms. It helps a lot towards my tennis elbow problem. Slowly, I move it like I would a hammer, 20 reps at a time.

Ain't nuttin' but a peanut!

It's only on rare occasion I even get in a tree any more .I will say this though , I can comfortabley operate a 200 one handed ,seldom do I though .

Ergonomicaly speaking that little saw is the best I have ever personally used .

The 200 rear ,011-012 and the like might be good little ground limbers but I don't think they would be as good in the tree as the top handle model .

Butch, year's back when I first read about tennis elbow I came across that type weight setup...the writer called it "Thor's Hammer"...perfect tool for our Conan MB.

They recommended in all three planes of motion...pronate/supinate, flex/extend, circles.

It originated in Japan as far as I know. Been used in martial arts training for centuries to build forearm and wrist strength for wielding a sword.
Onehanding a saw is basically like wielding a somewhat clumsy sword.

That is a steal and a half my friend, unless it's been miserably abused.

I really like my 200 rear handle. It comes out of the truck box any time I need to clear off a blowdown from the roads I manage, if the diameter isn't more than 20 inches or so. I run a 16 inch bar/chain on it, no screen, and it is a screamer. You'll love it.

It's not a bad climbing saw, either.

It's not a bad climbing saw, either.

That's good to hear. The saw was used less than one tank, another arborist (consulting) got the saw for free and she wanted to get rid of it, sat in her garage for two years never used. I'm stoked!

jp:D

I sure like my rear handle 020, especially for partial Pine crane picks and limbing, but the carb is acting up now. Too rich or too lean, darned if I know. Adjustments don't help.

Time for a new carb Jay. Just went through that with mine. The 200 is a nice saw and makes a nice climbing saw. It is a little weak on the bottom end if your cutting hardwood that is in the 14 to 16 inch range but what can you expect from a little 2 cube saw.

You stole that saw.Good thing to because Stihl is going to making that model for much longer. I wish I could be so lucky. Used parts and used saws are ging to bring premo money in the near future.

I have a new 200 on the lay away plan at our new Stihl dealer. Money is really tight. I never realized how much my old dealer was dscounting saws till the new dealer quoted the price for a new 200 T. My jaw dropped and he said he could sharpen his pencil a little.

I know this is an old thread but have you kids looked into a 346xp? I really like that saw and so does everybody that I have worked with. I run mine with a 20" bar for less bending and pulls very well when in big wood.

Not I, Rajan...but that's mostly because all three of my "local" saw shops are Stihl dealers, most especially the one I deal with regularly and have done for over 30 years. I'll take good parts availability, high quality mechanics, and service over brand, any day. I am loyal to Stihl, never have had a reason to look farther.

Back