Mid-line attachable, retrievable redirect

Eric H-L

Treehouser
1C53CFFA-D006-476C-950C-2A389036068D.jpeg

Has anyone tried this out yet? As a recreational climber I have not done much with redirects yet. This does look really cool and I have been trying to figure out how to make one. Treestuff says it’s spliced from Teufelberger 16 strand XPE. I can see what look like two mid line eyes and then an end-for-end splice at the top. Do any of you know if there is instructions out there fo 16 strand mid line eyes?
I made a quick prototype with some stuff I had in my garage. Haven’t tried it in a tree yet, but it retrieved well from various object in the house. The long eye and eye is Samson Voyager. The short one is Tenex with sewn eyes from rope logic. It was my shortest sewn eye Prussic but I still needed to double it over to make it shorter. I know my hand sewn eyes are not good enough for life support but I 1D078AFF-63AF-432D-8B53-060EF08BD7B4.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I posted that before I got done writing! :?I was thinking about ordering a custom very short sewn eye from Wespur. Also wanted to ask if anyone had any concerns about rope on rope friction in use and also the sharp fins on the Quickie sliding through the eye every time it is used for mid line attachment?

I did not watch the vid yet, but I will assert with little fear of contradiction that rope on rope friction is ALWAYS a "must avoid" situation.

I don’t personally care for the butt splice being right at the choke point of the sling. May not make a difference...just my two cents.

Just a choked climb line with only a biner is hard to retrieve with an other line cliped on the same biner. I had this today on a maybe 50' spar from a 100' ash, 2 coleaders with about 14" diameter at the last cut where I came down. I don't do that usually and I was surprised how hard I had to pull to get back my both climb lines.

A less known meaning for re-direct is that it redirects how you impact the tree in a fall if it fails. ;) Assuming a central leader tip.

More pendulum velocity is not a good thing. Be aware of stubs or a branch that could snap if you impact it on the way by turning it into a spear. But still you have a better chance for a glancing blow versus a vertical to ground fall impact.

Redundancy is your friend. Try to set natural redirects with catch unions not far away. Slings and biners etc go a little on the beefy side.

Back