Lumberjack’s Photography

Incredible tech. And to think it's available to the masses.

As a kid in the late 50s I remember viewing many a family picture taken from a 120 roll film view camera. State of the art in the day. With instruction I took a few images of the family with that camera, and was even taught how to load it.

My how times has changed.

Yea, I wasn't sure he had it based on the first pic. Could have gone either way.

I agree. It is nice when I can zoom in that far and see such awesome detail on those guys. No doubt the fellow was out at second base... And the fellow in the second picture was definitely keeping his eye on the ball. Very cool.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Those are low resolution pictures, downsized to 2048 pixels on the long side (social media).

Here are the first two, full resolution (but not enhanced sized which is a thing now.)

Attachments

• 0D6C4EA3-B625-4968-BD83-DA48AAA6F9DD.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 5
  • CCAF708B-8319-4511-86EE-16D341CFDAF3.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 3
Such incredible technology, and to think it is available to the mid consumer. Professionals aside I'll bet most consumers with cameras like yours, Carl, never achieve the full potential of the camera, like you've shown in this thread.

I take pictures of landscapes and plants. Neither of which move very fast.

Not that you have to have the latest and greatest to take good pictures, but it'd be a fairly advanced consumer to rock the camera that took those pics. 😂

Here's the build out; camera, lens, battery grip, spare battery, and memory cards.
1619581686810.png

And here's a GIF of the 57 pictures from that sequence.

Changed the format of the video dimensions and stabilized it, changed the uploaded video in post 68.

So did you basically take that sequence as a video and then extract the individual pictures you wanted from it?

My cameras can take 30 pictures a second, with each picture being 50 megapixels and a 12 bit color depth. Edited those pictures, exported as JPG, then brought them into Final Cut to create a video. Exported that video, imported the video back, stabilized, then exported as the finished product.

Here are the 57 JPG pictures that went into that video.

I work from SSDs, the laptop has 2TB, the iMac 4TB, and I have a 4TB Thunderbolt 3 SSD I put together for a transfer/scratch/on site backup when shooting. For archiving I use DAS (direct attached storage) spinning disks, nothing fancy. If I'm working on a large video project, I can use the iMac and the 4TB SSD to have a blazing fast (1500MBs+) 8TB of storage. The last time I needed that was when I had ~2TB of video from 8 dance recitals over a weekend that I was working on. The original media was a couple TB, the render files and such added up... I remember putting the original media on one drive and worked from another.

Everything is also backed up off site. Normally speaking I have two local copies until the off site backup is completed... but it's not the end of the world if I lose the ~7TB of baseball pictures from this season. The delivered pictures are stored off site at a couple places as well. More important stuff has more backup redundancies. Collectively I have around 16TB of sports stuff stored since I started... it's a work in progress.

I still have my first "real" camera; an Olympus OM-10 with a 50mm Zuiko lens. At around $300 in 1979, that was a major investment for me.

Back