Long Undies..

You'd need to be a computer sci genius

+1 for merino wool socks year round, they have all sorts of thicknesses for any time of year.

My favourite long johns are Columbia "omni heat" with little reflective scales on the inside. Not sure if it actually helps but pretty darn warm anyways

I’m wearing the darn tough socks that I got three years ago. Merino wool. I wear them all year long. Love them.
As for as long John’s go, I wear whatever I feel fit for the weather. Normally it’s just a pair of pajama pants under my ironwoods and a pile of long sleeve t shirts for the upper. Saw pants are kinda new to me so I’ll see if I need to adjust. I also almost never wear an actual coat. A couple of hoodies for the ability to lose one or two as the day goes on.
not that this may fit your jobs but I tend to watch the weather and plan my projects out so there is minimal aerial time on the coldest days and more ground pounding. My crew got our hours in on the coldest days last year by putting things down and chipping on the cold days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Interesting layering.
I hear ya about the ariel stuff on the "Warmer" days.

Long johns or not, nothing beats coveralls as a final layer to cover the cracks and hold in the heat. I'm also a fan of lined jeans as opposed to long underwear. Just as warm without clinging to your loins if you end up working hard. We also have mandatory wrist guards(socks with a thumbhole) which are great at keeping the wind out of your sleeves.

I got some outdoor wrangler pants, fleece lined. Very comfy, stretchy, durable, warm with gusset crotch and reinforced knees, excellent winter climbing pants if you don’t need saw protection. Holding up well, about a year old. 25$ at Walmart or Target.
Add some longjohns or thermals if it’s gonna be under 20F.

Doesn't really get cold enough around here for coveralls anymore. I have some insulated bibs, but I haven't worn them in 20 years. I wear my chaps climbing. I feel a little silly doing it sometimes. Most of my cutting it waist+, and away from my legs, but a guy who's much better at this stuff than me posted a pic of his saw pants shredded by a saw bite, so I wear my chaps. Don't want to have to come here and tell you all what an idiot I am :^D Also keeps your legs warm, whether you want warm legs or not.

I pulled the trigger on the Carhart wool/poly blend stuff so far so good. Nice and soft good stretch snug but not shrink wrapped. Down side is it really hasn't been that cold lately, it's coming tho.

Never thought i would say this, but could it hurry up already. Frozen ground is overdue

Frikkin sucks, got my niece in town from California and my nephew from Florida, these kids need some sledding dammit!

Anyone try out the fleece lined outdoor pants from Wrangler? Love them, very warm and very stretchy and flexible for climbing. About 1 year old and holding up well so far. Best work pants you’ll find under 30$ IMO.

@flushcut , how are you dealing with soggy conditions? Do you just plow forward, and figure for more restoration, while using plywood to try to minimize damage? Or something else, like cherry picking jobs over driveways until it freezes?

Anyone try out the fleece lined outdoor pants from Wrangler? Love them, very warm and very stretchy and flexible for climbing. About 1 year old and holding up well so far. Best work pants you’ll find under 30$ IMO.

Sounds like a good deal!

Kyle, are ya doing a lot of tree work lately, or rather, would ya be if ground froze?

I got some lined up, but completely destroying yards wouldn't be for the best. They are both guys i work with, and honestly i need to get some things done here first, but I'm curious on what you guys do because doing it full time i imagine you need to work fairly constantly. In construction we don't care, but we destroy everything we touch and then come back and fix everything after, and the trees i bid never have that kind of profit in them. But this is doesnt becoming a problem, and if i could go knock them out it would be a good thing :lol:

Plywood. Being set up as I am I have been using half dozen sheets of 1/2" 5ply since mid summer. They are getting beat up but not bad and due for replacement in spring. If my Feburary pans out as I hope a dozen mats will find a home on my trailer this year.
Also picking and choosing the jobs helps, manicured yards get bumped and most customers are ok with the reschedule.

Back