Longest length of rope

emr

Cheesehead Treehouser
We have a tricky tree coming up that we might try either guying out several directions and spiking it or setting a highline and using that as a overhead TIP. I guess maybe both could be an option as well. No matter what we do we will need to buy more rope because all of the neighboring trees are some distance away and right now our longest ropes are 200 ft. We might get 600 ft for the highline and probably 600 for the guying. The highline we would probably leave long and the guy lines we would cut in whatever lengths we need.

600 ft for a climbing line is way to long to be practical around here so it will be cut eventually.

What do you all keep for long lines, either climbing or rigging and how often do you actually use them?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I'm not in the tree biz but I have 2 600 foot hanks of 1" three strand nylon which I roll up on a wire reel .

To me a 200' line is plenty long enough. On the tower we regularly used 600' lines and even had a few specialty 700' lines. The problem with 600' spools is on a 300' tower its just enough and if you cut the end off once it becomes somewhat useless.

If you need a length more than 600 you could always use a hollow-braid and bury splice two pieces together.

3/8" Tenex Tech stowed is much smaller than a 1/2 line and with a MBS of 550 and a lower elongation than most climbing/rigging lines it would actually make a good guy line. If you were planning to use a bull rope 5/8 Tenex has a MBS of 16,900 lbs. 3/4" Tenex MBS 22,000 lbs.

3/8" Tenex .45/foot
5/8" Tenex .95/foot
3/4" Tenex 1.39/foot

5/8" Bull Rope $1.09/foot MBS 18,00 lbs

1/2" ArborPlex MBS 5400 .62/foot

All prices from treestuff.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't know about 1" 3 strand but I think we will get 1/2" 3 strand for the guying. The tree is not big and heavy, just really rotten and leaning. 1/2" will get used buy us in short order. If we get bigger rigging lines as guys, it will will sit around forever and dry rot.

Treestuff sells 600ft of Samson 3 strand for $199. We also looked at All Gears 3/8" dbl braid rigging line and we found that for $290 for 600ft. We decided that it would be novel to have a 3/8 pink rigging line but again, not real practical.

Tom uses 3/4" 3 strand for his bull rope ,200 foot length .

I have no idea if you can inline splice a piece of braided rope or not .I've never seen it done .Keep in mind though it's a bitch to run a splice through a snatch block .

I usually only order 200 foot hanks for rigging and climbing with some exception to shorter. If I need longer, I can tie more rope together. Usually using a rigging ring or something.

I have one 250' rigging rope that only comes out a few times a year, I also have a 1" bull rope rated at 52,000lbs that comes out maybe once a year. Both dont get much use but when they do boy is it nice to have them..... I would say buy 600' spools of whatever you use most often as that wont last you too long any how. PM me for prices on Allgear stuff I can hook you up.

Sweet! Thanks Paul.

Are you close to R & M Lawn......... Something or another? Allgear gave me their name and number to contact for the pink rigging line. The person that I talked to there didn't seem to know exactly what I was asking about and I think she quoted me incorrect prices. They were located VA but I can't remember what city.

How about buying 600' of steel cable for the highline and then turning it into a bitchen speed line.:D

I could complete with Wisconsin Dells! Good bye tree Co and hello tourist trap.

How about buying 600' of steel cable for the highline and then turning it into a bitchen speed line.:D

Nasty on meshing with the rest of one's rigging and speedline gear...most are not compatible.

I liked having a couple of long rigging lines in the shed...a 400 footer and two 300 footers, both 1/2 inch static kernmantles. Added to them were two 250 foot 9/16ths" stable braid.

For the odd tall tree SRT access line that could double for a truly beautiful overhead traverse tie in, 600 feet of static 11mm Sterling was worth it's weight in gold on the rare time it was needed.

I could complete with Wisconsin Dells! Good bye tree Co and hello tourist trap.

I went there once when I was a kid. All I remember was doing the water slides over and over, loved it.

Hold the fort, brother...I hear it can get tough these last few weeks. Best wishes for a healthy and happy mother and child.

It has been okay so far, she hasn't had any major mood swings just kind of plugging along on an even keel.

Me too. There was a time during our sons birth when I was grabbed by the shirt and told that I needed to get her something. She had stated before the process that she wanted a natural(without drugs) birth, so I was standing by that. I left to get something from the car, and prayed while on the journey. Should I let her? When I returned she had consented to a saline drip to replenish her water content. After that it was smooth sailing. The lesson? Once it starts they don't/can't drink much water. Dehydration increases the labor/contraction pains, she never felt rest in-between contractions. I believe if she had entered the process at 90-100% hydration, her body could have handled the lack of water input. Instead like many of us whoo walk around somewhat dehydrated she entered at somewhere less hydrated then that. There's a great series called "comfort in childbirth" we were blessed with a loan of it, and it does cost about $165 shipped. but it's worth it. You/she will likely forget much of it in the process, but it's an amazing class on what is going on/could happen throughout the whole process.

http://www.naturalchildbirth411.com

Definitely a money/time investment, I think it's worth it though. Best wishes to you, may God bless the process for your family.

150 for rigging is all Ive ever needed. Once or twice a 200' would have been handy for a pull line with redirects.

Back