Lightning Protection.

High Scale

Trust fund lobbyist.
I looked at a Redwood the other day that has a earthing cable fitted, the cable hangs loose down the tree and is attached here and there with the odd cable tie, the cable is attached right at the base of the tree to a earthing rod, the client is not happy with this. Now I have talked to a few people over here in the UK who have said that this is not a very satisfactory install, I'm just wondering if you guys have any experience in this field and I would appriciate any advice you could give me.

Last edited:
couple of years ago Carl, I looked into this in some detail. I spoke to a company that advertised in the TCIA mag, and they send me a pile of bumpf on the subject. Probably tossed it, but I remember the copper strips were pinned to the tree every meter or so, with oversized cable clips. The earthing rod needs to be away from the root zone, as any charge earthing will destroy the roots.

Oh boy, another chance to show a pic of the lightning struck tree. This tree and the fact that the guy living there got literally blown out of bed by the event, prompted a lot of work. The fragments were dispersed over a surprisingly wide area, and some of it was still up in other trees. A strange sight.

Attachments

• Ikusakacliffjob0048.jpg
    Ikusakacliffjob0048.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 47
Usually a lightning strike instantly turns the sap into steam which blows the bark apart like a bomb hit it .That tree actually looks like it took a hit from a bomb .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Impressive Jay, this is a picture I stole from the site over here, the owner of which developed the arbobolt fastenings.:O

Attachments

• wp21b003ae_05.jpg
    wp21b003ae_05.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 35
" I spoke to a company that advertised in the TCIA mag, and they send me a pile of bumpf on the subject. Probably tossed it,"

too bad--good stuff imo. ipclp.com

" but I remember the copper strips were pinned to the tree every meter or so, with oversized cable clips."

Holdfasts can be 2 m+ apart, as long as they are secure and the conductor does not slap the trunk.

" The earthing rod needs to be away from the root zone, as any charge earthing will destroy the roots."

3m away is minimum; beyond dripline best. I put a lot of these in; ez $ and a good service for client and tree.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Guy, I have someone coming this week to take a look and to test the soil, apparently he helped to write the British Standard for lightning protection for trees and has worked with Davey over there on development of the arbobolt fittings, we shall see, whatever, the bloke doesn't do the fitting so I should get that job.

Yes, that would be Ben, who knows more about earthing/grounding than most. More on that should be making its way into the ansi standard next time around. Ben does no climb so yes the aerial work is up to someone else.

Tell ben I said hi, but be ready to duck...

Back