King of the Redwoods

Find a bigger piece, you could make a motel out of it:http://www.curlyredwoodlodge.com/history.htm

I just have to spend a night there someday!

Went hiking a few weeks ago with a guy who flew over from Germany. We stayed at the Curly Redwood Lodge, and it just happened to coincide with the car show in Crescent City.

Almost the entire Curly Redwood Lodge carports were filled with classic automobiles.

It really made the place look like it might have back when it was built on a busy summer weekend.

Curly_Rdwd_Pckp800.jpg

Man, I'd love to put a piece of those pillars on the lathe.

Me neither.
Can you imagine the value of a whole tree like that today?

I'm not clear on why trees get that figure. I've heard that a windy location induces stress in the wood fibers and such figure results. Some species are more prone is one fact.

I have heard the windy location thing, too.
I don't believe it though. It doesn't match up with my own observations.
I believe it is a genetic trait.

I once found a horsechestnut with the tightest, loveliest fiddleback figure.
It was in the whole tree, even the thinnest branches.

Unfortunately the ignoramus owner had already cut and split it for firewood.
I managed to talk him out of a few of the larger pieces and used them for small stuff.

Horse Chesnut here commonly has wild grain, also some ingredient in the wood that is hard on tool edges, like silica or something. With an urushi lacquer finish it can be hard to distinguish from Zelkova.

Mario and I met up at the Curly one afternoon and shortly after wards we hiked up through the woods together. It was one of the greatest hikes through the redwoods I ever had.

Good eats at the Fisherman's Restaurant across the highway from the Curly.

You all got to take the Howland hill road from Crescent City to Jedidiah Smith and stop in the pull outs and walk through it. To do it right would take months, but a few days would give you a good idea of what is there to see.

I'll try to make it up there next time I come over.
I'm hoping to be able to make it next year.
Depends on economy of course, but we are absolutely swamped with work the next ½ year, so it looks promising.

Redwoods...to see them is on my bucket list...

We have redwood plank seats in our old dinghy, the boat is over 30 years old and the original seats are still in it, exposed to sea, salt, sand, sun, bums, feet, fish guts, sanded down from time to time, varnished once or twice, but generally left au naturelle...still going strong.

Interesting, Fiona, I haven't heard of Redwood in boats. Mahogany and teak are the usual. Redwood is a lot lighter, perhaps that is what the maker of your dinghy was thinking.

Interesting, Fiona, I haven't heard of Redwood in boats. Mahogany and teak are the usual. Redwood is a lot lighter, perhaps that is what the maker of your dinghy was thinking.

Being as the maker was my hubby (before I was on the scene)...that's probably just what he was thinking! He used to say, don't jump into the boat right on the middle of the seat...and you didn't want to slide sideways in your bathing suit to fast if the seats hadn't been finished in a while...

Good thinking about not sliding. Redwood slivers are a bear, they fester up quickly. In your butt would not be pleasant.

Back