King of the Redwoods

Wow. In 1981 I had been working for the FS 3 years, was 27 years old, and was just at the very beginning of my climbing career. Wow. A 300+ foot redwood would have far beyond my abilities at that stage in my life.

I would have been about 9. :) Road hockey every night till bedtime after putting up with my grade 3 or 4 teacher all day. lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Google has a "Books" section where you can preview all sorts of reading material. I was getting a kick out of going through those old tabloids and came across that article. Kinda weird finding a true story amid all the wackiness in those magazines.

I've used Gers last name like "Ted Benson is the Beranek of Timber Frame" ..." The Old Man of the Benoit family is the Beranek of Buck Hunting" ...

Jerry is the man, of all men and deserves the best of all.
Come to SF and I'll show you a day of fun.

81' I was in first grade montesorri, learning about life.

Jay can do way better than that.
All those redwood burl souvenir shops along highway 101 seem to believe that the only surface treatment that works on redwood is a thick coat of glossy polyurethane varnish.

Thanks for the all the kind thoughts. Redwood is so darn soft that polyurethane is about the only treatment that can last as a wear surface. It is tacky though when compared to natural finishes.

I have been in many houses that were finished on the inside with natural finish old growth redwood and it created such a dark environment. During the 60's the Union lumber Company sold interior finish old growth redwood that was bleached for that reason. Hoping to increase sales of redwood products for interior use, but it never caught on. The Milano Bar where I socialize is finished with the bleached redwood. It was done a promo back in the time. It certainly brightens up the interior, but doesn't resemble old growth redwood through its color at all.

The house of my karate teacher friend up in Arcata had the old dark redwood panelling in all the rooms. Really gloomy.
When I visited in 2005 he talked about replacing it with sheetrock painted in a light color.
I told him to consider that there will never be made any more of that panelling, and that if he tore it out, he should send it to me, I'd pay for the shipping. I would love some redwood in my house.

Last year when I came over, he'd completely redone the house, everything was wonderfully bright.
So I asked him about the panelling.
He told me that after our talk, he'd decided to hang the sheetrock on top of the old panelling in such a way, that the next owner of the house could go back to the way the house originally was.

I thought that was a real cool thing to do.

Dark in color. Even a light species like white pine can dampen the brightness in a room after it starts to age and the urethane begins to yellow.

One of the nicer applications of redwood paneling I've seen was as wainscotting to about 40 inches high, then an off-white sheetrock above and on the ceilings. Beautiful natural wood colors to look at and the rooms still feel bright.

That was what I was going to do if my friend had shipped his panelling over.
Combined it with sheetrock.

I visited the owner of one of the biggest and oldest lumberyards here, both native and imported woods, about 15 years ago.

He had bought a large table lamp , I turned from solid elm burl, at a woodturning exhibition.

His house was panneled with wood from all over the planet. It was such an amazing place to walk through for a wood lover.

I managed to put a name to almost all of it, which must have impressed him, because by the end of my visit, he fetched a 3 foot long 2"X2" , gave it to me and asked me to identify it.

I have a real good memory for smell ( used to do GREAT in blindtasting wine) , so I smelled it and told him it was Rio rosewood.
That stuff has been extinct ( meaning, not logged anymore) since the 60es.
Then he brought out a whole load of it and gave it to me. He had acquired it from an old woodturner, who retired 30 yers ago, and now he figured it would have a good home at my shop.

We're talking about 1500-2000$ worth of wood.
What the heck do you say to a guy like that?

I said thank you and I'll try to put it to good use.

I have used some of it for furniture restoration, but there is one big block that I think may be the biggest one around today, I have been looking at that ever since then, wondering if I'll ever be good enough to make something out of it.

I think I'll give it to an violin builder in Copenhagen, like it was given to me.

Many of the old houses in Northern California were framed in Redwood. I tore it out of some places in Watsonville.It was 2x4, but well oversized. From the days when there was wood to spare. Really nice timber in those studs.

I've seen a lot of nice grained wood in my life, but I still think that the most beautiful was a piece of Redwood Burl. It was a tall table in a guy's house on ugly aluminum legs. The grain was very even tight swirls throughout, and a rich red purple color. Just looking at it was a religious experience. I'd make a coffee table out of it.

Hahaha...I have done so! Many years ago Melanie and I spent a few soggy days camping up in Jedadiah State Park under the redwoods, then stayed a night indoors. We had gear spread all over that room, trying to dry it out... tent, fly, sleeping bags, clothes, you name it.

Not only is the building made with curly redwood, a bunch of the furniture is, too. Pretty stuff...that is, if you can find it under all the wet camping gear :D.

1981 think I just got my first muk luk 10-10, cuttin firewood, never thought 3 years later I'd be climbing trees with a chainsaw.
And never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would have the honor of climbing redwoods with the King of the Redwoods.
A fitting title for a giant of a man

My gramps worked at a redwood mill and built his home from it. T&G celings through out

Back