Job done today...

Very cool looking trees! I agree, bigger than they looked, nice job. You are not putting a face cut in on that last pic in post 13 are you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Very cool looking trees! I agree, bigger than they looked, nice job. You are not putting a face cut in on that last pic in post 13 are you?

Yes, face cut, so the crane operator could pull it over and lay it down. 20" bar, 31" tree.

More pics...
I like this one, all the guys watching the girl cut the tree...

Attachments

• IMG_1574.JPG
    IMG_1574.JPG
    563.2 KB · Views: 8
Oh, that makes sense, I was afraid you were picking it with a face cut

Give me credit!!! :)
Second and third trees. Stumps left high because the HO wants to carve them into seats...

Attachments

• IMG_1592.JPG
    IMG_1592.JPG
    497.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1593.JPG
    IMG_1593.JPG
    285.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1599.JPG
    IMG_1599.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 115
...last one, and the crane leaving the site, tight squeeze!

Attachments

• IMG_1600.JPG
    IMG_1600.JPG
    409.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1608.JPG
    IMG_1608.JPG
    449.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMGP6287.JPG
    IMGP6287.JPG
    243.9 KB · Views: 116
After Charlie slammed the west coast of florida in 2004?, the islands of Sanibel and Captiva ordered every Norfolk Isalnd Pine on the islands to be removed. They hadn't had a hurricane in some 40 years and these trees grew into huge monsters that lined the only through roads on the isalnds. When the storm hit they all got trashed and made the whole place inaccessible for emergency and rescue. IT was a disaster made far worse by that particular species..

Nice work on some big trees Bermy! And a good lesson for all of how deceptive the flat screen can be when it comes to photos and video of trees..

Why did they decide to take the third tree Fiona? Nice work BTW

No, none got milled. No-one seems to have the space to store it, or the need to use it...small wood turners is about all, and there is always plenty around.

They decided to take the third tree so they'd never have to worry about it again! One already fell and almost struck their house 60' away, and the neighbours are a LOT closer than that.

They are going to replant the area with something more suitable in size and for the exposure!

A big chunk of the top of the biggest one landed on the lawn in Igor this year...it was a new top that grew out from the last time it got beaten up in a storm. Just keeps happening over and over...and you can see how big those branches are! The E side had a lot less branches, smaller branches and lots of broken stubs.

These are the larger species of Norfolk Pine we have here, the other one has much smaller branches...I've climbed, stripped and section felled a few of those, but these big buggers are crane fodder!

Funny though, you actually rarely see one fall down, the branches all break and blow of and the tops blow out, then of course the wind resistance is greatly reduced so the stems stay up...but given the density of housing generally, they are a liability when big. I do think these ones were buried a bit, no flare apparent, they were in the order of 40 yrs old, predating the HO buying the house in 1980.

That's funny. Norfolk pine is a house plant up here. I'm guessing it's not the same plant though probably? Gonna have to google I guess.

you thinking "nordic" pine Squish ;) I used to have one, name was Norman :)

No, you see small Norfolk Island pines as potted plants for the windowsill.
I used to have one, when I lived in California.

One reason why the size of Fiona's trees blew me away! norfolk.jpg

Captain Cook had them earmarked for ship masts, as there were 200' specimens on Norfolk Island when he landed. They later discovered that the timber was unsuitable for masts.

The nearest tree I have worked on is the Monkey Puzzle (Auricaria auricaria). Norfolk Island Pine is Auricaria heterophylla. Monkey Puzzle is extemely sticky too.

Good job you got to ride the crane, very cool sensation. Crane companies over here have mixed feelings about it, but there is no legislation prohibiting it.

Yup that's what I'm talking about Stig. My parents have one almost as old as me I think? Atleast it's always been around as long as I can remember.

Nice Stig...pretty pot plant!
Norfolk pine actually self seeds here now, naturalized.
They were introduced in 1875 from Trinidad...probably by the Admiralty in the hope of timber for ships, but I'm not sure.
A book I have called 'Bermuda's Oldest Inhabitants', Tales of Plant Life" written in 1938 by Louisa Hutchings Smith, quotes two species: Araucaria excelsa and Araucaria bidwillii, I'm sure the names have changed in the intervening 70yrs though!

Really nice pics, Fiona, and great job! I don't see how those trees could be used for much except from small pieces of the wood, talk about knots!

Fiona, I'm sorry to have to do this, but my stance on this subject has been of such a strident nature in the past that I cannot in good concience let it slide :D.

Take those gaffs off when you're working on the ground...most especially when running a saw. The trip hazard they present is huge, and I'll never forget how ugly the injury was that I witnessed when a fellow stumbled with gaffs on and stepped hard down on top of his left foot with the right gaff.

Took him over a year to recover completely. More blood than you can imagine, broken bone, foot pierced through to the sole.

Beware, my friend.

Attachments

• fiona.JPG
    fiona.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 89
I have never seen it happen but have stumbled in the brush enough to know how easy that can be

Back