Jack back weighted dead oak?

davidwyby

Desert Beaver
This coast live oak died over the winter. Still has some brown leaves on it. Live oak is hard and therefore presumably brittle. To avoid breaking other live trees around it, it needs to go left= North. I was thinking about trying a jack on it, but my concern is the tree tipping far enough to break the hinge before the weight is over center and me having to guess which direction to sprint to get out from under those long limbs.

I think pulling it, or cheating and going up in the lift and taking off back weight would be better.

Thoughts? Thanks

IMG_7532.jpeg IMG_7531.jpeg

Last edited:
A year dead should still have some moisture in it allowing a decent hinge for the species with a gap or wide open face. If you can take back weight off, all the better. Jacking a dead oak may not get you your desired results. Maybe too easy to pop the hinge with too much force. Just my arm chair opinion.. even jacking, I would use some 1/2" to 5/8ths insurance ( pull rope) and wedges. But ALWAYS if possible, adjust the weight to your favor. Again, just my arm chair opinion. Pictures never tell the full story

I think climb or lift or whatever to remove back-weight.
Jacks are best suited to tall single stem woodland trees where you only need a few degrees.
You’ll bust that hinge or reach the end of the lift before that goes over.

Armchair quarterbacks opinion of course.
Try a proper foresters opinion before listening to me.

@stig @Burnham and anyone else!

Other than removing weight, pulling is the most secure and powerful option there is. You are applying torque to tip a tree no matter the method, and torque is distance from pivot x force. A 30,000 pound force 3 feet from the hinge is the same as a 1500 pound force 60 feet up, assuming the force is horizontal (sling angle applies here obviously). Just like using a cheater bar, leverage is your friend.

Back