Insurance

MrMunch

Treehouser
Is there a company that specializes in tree service insurance? Such as liability, machinery etc? I used the search function and couldn't find an answer.
Thanks ahead of time

I think there have been some discussions on Insurance before...
I'm in Australia and use Fitzpatricks in Melbourne, they have a specialty department for Arb. The underwriter is Liberty International which is based in Boston!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good question. Welcome to the House.
Thanks
I think there have been some discussions on Insurance before...
I'm in Australia and use Fitzpatricks in Melbourne, they have a specialty department for Arb. The underwriter is Liberty International which is based in Boston!
Ok. Thanks. I'll look Liberty International up.

There are so many variables depending on location that your best bet is to check with at least 2 local independent agents who specialize in business insurance. My business liability policy was less than $1000 per year for many years, only recently bumping up to the $1200 range.

Up here in NJ, required to have at least General Liability (at least $1mil), Umbrella (Mine increases the GL to $2.5mil) and Workers Comp. Also have Commercial Vehicle and Inland Marine (covers saws, mini-skid, chipper and other tree gear from accidents/theft).

Your probably best off to deal with an agent from a local Insurance company/agency, who can help you shop rates/coverage requirements/explanantions. One of the Insurance brokers who was at the TCIA Expo in 2019 was this guy:

Ben H. Simmons, CLCS

Georgetown Insurance Service, Inc.
10010 Colesville Road, Suite A
Silver Spring, MD 20901-2338
301-681-5790 ext. 219
fax 301-593-2590
Please visit us at www.georgetownins.com

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back in the day Albiez Insurance out of NJ was at all the (East Coast) Expos. Their rates were good initially as they were getting licensed in multiple states and building their business. Over time their rates started climbing precipitously. My last year full time doing trees it was so expensive it helped my decision to get the Nursing degree.
These days I keep my GL coverage, and work alone or contract for friends.

My commercial insurance agent takes care of it for me, I’ve never found a need for a tree specialized writer.

Your general liability rate is based on claims history, payroll, and your volume of sales.

Thanks for all the replies. I guess there isn't anywhere that specializes in tree service insurance.

There are, but seem to be for mid sized companies on up.

I'm going to check the WA Contract Loggers Association. It's based here in Olympia.
People used to insuring PNW trees felled near houses.
I've heard good things.

(Contract Logger read: gypo logger).

I am getting a quote on Gen Liability for our excavator...also damage ins. for the excavator. I asked the fellow to also quote treework as part of it. I am working with Georgia Farm Bureau for this. They gave us the best rate for our new F450 truck and have been providing insurance for our farm for years. I'll let you know how it goes.

I am getting a quote on Gen Liability for our excavator...also damage ins. for the excavator. I asked the fellow to also quote treework as part of it. I am working with Georgia Farm Bureau for this. They gave us the best rate for our new F450 truck and have been providing insurance for our farm for years. I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks. I live in Georgia as well.

Cool. I don't think you have to own a farm to use GFB. My agent is Steve Powell in Lowndes County. I am sure he would be glad to give you a quote.

(229)242-7876

Thanks. I live in Georgia as well.
Cool. I don't think you have to own a farm to use GFB. My agent is Steve Powell in Lowndes County. I am sure he would be glad to give you a quote.

(229)242-7876
Ok. Thanks

Up here in Southern Ontario there is Arborguard, they work in a larger insurance company, and offer a basic package specifically for the tree guys, you can add on from there. About $120 CAD/mo, seems to be decent coverage, I shopped around and I was told no one else could match it for the price. Who knows.

Back