Instagram

It's a good idea. Specially for a climber.

A lot of the fallers I knew carried their saw-wrenches on a short tether with a snap, and would connect to the ring on a key retract or their wedge belt. I tried it both ways and ended up losing two wrenches in the brush. So I always kept the wrench with the gas jug, on a short tether, which was never more that a tree length away. The tether and snap is handy, but in the big picture compared to losing the wrench in the brush, the latter choice was the lesser of the two evils. I figured.

Back in the 80s and 90s the cost of a scwrench, depending on the local saw shop, ranged from 8 to 11 dollars. Heck, a cheap forged socket and breaker bar at Coast to Coast hardware was running about the same. Funny

I have a folding "pocket" tool that has a bunch of chainsaw tools in it. I'm still not sure exactly how I feel about it. Good for climbing, but for the stock use of screwdriver+wrench it's more unwieldy to operate than a standard scrench. I notice it more with the brushcutter, cause you really have to crank down on the nut. I took the washers out of one side and put in a wire with an eye bent into it. It's good for clearing clogged oil holes. Has a bar hook too for cleaning bar grooves. The extra socket that's loose in the sheath, and doesn't fit any of my tools has a harddrive magnet stuck to it, and I keep the stopper pin to my brushcutter stuck inside it.

Not the worst way to spend ~$24, but it isn't amazing either.

The gladiators have a little cargo pocket velcro flap deal... the bes th is when I used to keep a scrench in my back pocket... tore the hell out of the truck seats.

Nice, a different take on the first post of the joke thread

Yup.

I clearly recall watching a mid-thirtyish man walk up to within 15 feet of an adult male buffalo in Yellowstone N.P. and begin taking pictures. 15 feet became 10. This is a wild animal with balls much bigger than softballs. Horns on a massive shaggy head. Weighing in at close to a ton.

Not even a year before this, I knew that a man had been crushed to death under similar circumstances, right there in this same place. No reason to think it was not even this exact same animal.

We just kicked off on our X-C skis in the opposite direction. I'm sure nothing bad happened, or we'd have heard...but still, that is stupid behavior that back when our species first climbed down from trees, got pretty thoroughly weeded out. Apparently though, that gene did survive :D.

Last edited:
Exactly. Either by the bull buffalo, or by the idiot human who doesn't take kindly to advice from someone with more wisdom than said idiot will ever acquire.

That gene is likely how we domesticated animals tho. Took many to become scooby snacks for the animals, but look at us now! Lol

Mad vid, feel a bit sorry for the hawk!

I would say (as a fully qualified animal behavioral scientist!) the sound of the rabbit is the key to explaining the reaction of the deer.

The squeal/distress call seemed to galvanise the deer into action, awakening some king of defense response.

I have seen programmes where water Buffalo will seek out lion cubs and kill them given the opportunity, and people put llamas in with sheep to protect from foxes, so some herbivores are more than just walking meals.

It’s an unusual scenario with a little hawk like that though.

Good find.

Did I just witness a deer go omnivore? As if I didn't have enough to worry about working outside...

;)

Back