Incorporating different mechanical climbing devices

Matagorn

Treehouser
I’ve been climbing on a zigzag for drt and zigzag with chicane for srt. Recently on a whim I purchased a unicender thinking it might come in handy for a quick up and down being that it’s mid line attachable. I really don’t like the Unicender much compared to the zig zag. It’s not as smooth, doesn’t slack tend, and decending is either slow and clunky or a little sketchy. But...I’m thinking it will come in handy if I want to double crotch once I’m in the canopy. I’ve just been tying an anchor hitch onto a biner and then a Blakes to my tail for double crouching. Anyone else use a second mechanical device to double crotch with the zig zag as a primary?

I use two mechanicals on two climb lines all the time. Actually the zigzag is my secondary, the primary being the Akimbo. But both are interchangeable in their function.

Little bit, mainly srt tho. I don't have a bunch of time on it, but i love it so far

Reactions: DMc
Make sure when using it Ddrt that you keep the bird clear of the terminated leg of rope. It can get between the side plates. I use a Bat Plate on my bridge and clip the Rrp in the hole farthest away from me and the terminal end in the hole closest to me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Make sure when using it Ddrt that you keep the bird clear of the terminated leg of rope. It can get between the side plates. I use a Bat Plate on my bridge and clip the Rrp in the hole farthest away from me and the terminal end in the hole closest to me.
Thank you! Much appreciated.

Any thoughts on the Rope Runner Pro?
It may be a great tool, but I won't buy a RRP (or not P). It's too big for my taste and I wouldn't like to have it in front of my face fighting my nose. I prefer a device more compact.
The sensitivity is an issue too, as I'm more a slow guy than a squirrel. That's actually the main downside of the zigzag for me, useful but too touchy. Pass a small limb over it and ziiip! Same with crossing an arm to the other side for a cut, or sending a log to the side while on spurs with the climbline+ZZ on the Ds. I got some scary jolts.
I climb as a pro since 10+ years now but I don't got the taste of the almost freefall, so greatly prized by some of you. I guess that's a lost cause now, so no RRP for me.;)

Last edited:
It may be a great tool, but I won't buy a RRP (or not P). It's too big for my taste and I wouldn't like to have it in front of my face fighting my nose. I prefer a device more compact.
The sensitivity is an issue too, as I'm more a slow guy than a squirrel. That's actually the main downside of the zigzag for me, useful but too touchy. Pass a small limb over it and ziiip! Same with crossing an arm to the other side for a cut, or sending a log to the side while on spurs with the climbline+ZZ on the Ds. I got some scary jolts.
I climb as a pro since 10+ years now but I don't got the taste of the almost freefall, so greatly prized by some of you. I guess that's a lost cause now, so no RRP for me.;)
I tried out the RRP today and far prefer my zigzag so far. The zigzag has room for subtlety on the decent. I can feather it. It doesn’t send me flying. The RRP dropped me a good foot or so when I first managed to engage the birds head in srt. I was only a few feet up. I kept trying and it broke in a bit. But I share your concern. I also found it next to useless for drt. Unless with a foot ascender. It wasn’t tending slack worth a darn.

Needs more break in and adjustment probably, dial it in and give it some time.
Lol I don’t own one btw, but performance and function can’t be very different than the CMI RopeRunner.

Needs more break in and adjustment probably, dial it in and give it some time.
Lol I don’t own one btw, but performance and function can’t be very different than the CMI RopeRunner.
Thanks. I will definitely give it some more time. I can see already the potential for Srt. I’m using a 12.5 mm line and had to adjust the bollard all the way open to get the birds head to release. Any suggestions for ascending drt with it?

I guess why are you wanting to climb drt so much?
I prefer Drt still for shorter climbs or ascents near the trunk where I’m not dangling in thin air. Easier for me to make the smaller height adjustments. I’m still learning the ropes of srt. Pardon the pun. I find it incredibly useful for getting into the canopy fast, but am still more comfortable working drt.

I prefer Drt still for shorter climbs or ascents near the trunk where I’m not dangling in thin air. Easier for me to make the smaller height adjustments. I’m still learning the ropes of srt. Pardon the pun. I find it incredibly useful for getting into the canopy fast, but am still more comfortable working drt.

When u feel more comfortable, get away from DRT and learn SRT...its so much better in the canopy by far, redirects and easier to move around and will improve production and make life better.

I only use DRT on very small trees...

When u feel more comfortable, get away from DRT and learn SRT...its so much better in the canopy by far, redirects and easier to move around and will improve production and make life better.

I only use DRT on very small trees...
I keep hearing that. Do you keep a small rope grab and biner handy to put your tail through for a 2 in 1 on limb walks or to make short ascents?

Back