I think its "hear ye", not, "here ye"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think Butch should correct it. He has harped and carried on for how long over how folks spell things. Practice what you preach.

It's funny. I've known foreigners who's English speaking skills far exceed that of most English speaking people I know. Let alone the common sayings.

What is it? Vernacular, context and syntax that throw all the twists of the English language into turmoil that we scratch our heads and wonder about at times? The possible permutations, and innuendos have been mastered by lawyers and politicians.

Hope not this be a derail.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thats what makes the treehouse nice. Good entertainment. Im not really trying to beat on Butch. Just razzin his berries a little.

While you are here, hear what I have to say...you still can't beat cuz the Town Crier in his britches and stockings chasing the wench through town ringin' his bell...

It was a good day today, not an elephant or Llama in sight...

Here you go, from the Bda Gov't website, unfortunately the picture didn't make the transition

-- --------------------

Town Crier
The custom and tradition is now an entirely British one. It stretches back many years before this town was born in 1612.

"HEAR ye, hear ye!" Bermuda's David Frith, Town Crier of St. George's, was awarded the top prize at an international Town Crier competition in England. The Armada Cup, held every year in late July, traditionally consists of two "cries" in Kingsbridge, Devon, southwest England, and then a third cry in a neighboring town, this year Paignton. Competitors are judged on the clarity of their voice, their diction, the consistent pitch and volume as well as their appearance. They are provided with a subject upon which to speak and are usually limited to 100 words. The subject of the third and final cry in Paignton was "A British Vacation", which Mr. Frith edited slightly to be a "British Vacation to Bermuda", extolling the reasons why Britons should come to the island for a holiday. St. George's Mayor Mariea Caisey accompanied Mr. Frith on the trip abroad and was asked to judge the "Best Dressed" competition in Paignton. The primary reason for their trip was to attend the annual Somers Day Commemoration Parade in Lyme Regis, a town in Dorset that was the home of Sir George Somers, the English Admiral shipwrecked in Bermuda in 1609 while leading a relief fleet to the starving Jamestown colony in Virginia. Sir George and the survivors of the Sea Venture wreck came ashore in Bermuda in what is now the parish of St. George's.

As Lyme Regis is the twin town of St. George's, Mr. Frith is also the honorary Town Crier of Whitchurch Canonicorum, the village where Sir George Somers is buried. Possessing the honorary title made Mr. Frith eligible to compete in the European Town Crier Championship, which was held in Holland while the pair were abroad. While Mr. Frith didn't win the overall competition, he did take top prize in the "Best Dressed" competition, which landed him on the front page of the local Dutch newspaper Almelo. Mr. Frith's elaborate costume was made by Liz Campbell, wife of Dr. Gordon Campbell, who adorned the back of his jacket with hand-painted dragon, which is symbolic of Saint George, the patron saint of England. While many do not know about town crier competitions, Bermuda has historically done well. St. George's former Town Crier E. Michael Jones won the Armada Cup in 2000 and St. George's Town Crier in the mid-1980s, Major D. H. (Bob) Burns, MC, holds the Guinness World Record for the loudest human speaking voice. Mr. Frith hopes to continue his winning ways and attributes his success to Mayor Caisey. "I was very fortunate to have her with me on the trip. She was very supportive and I am very thankful to her and the Corporation of St. George's."

Since becoming St. George's Town Crier in 2004, Mr. Frith has travelled each summer to the event, all the while keeping his eye on the prize. "This summer was my fifth trip," said Mr. Frith (see photo). "I've been vying for the trophy for the past five years and it has eluded me. I've placed second two (previous) times. Now the trophy has my name on it, so hopefully I can retain it next year." Tracing the position's roots back to ancient Greece, town criers were virtual "newscasters" of the day and usually the chief means of disseminating public news. Employed by a town council, criers were typically literate individuals who were able to read announcements, proclamations, local bylaws, advertisements to the townspeople, since many townspeople could not read or write. Notifying citizens by ringing a bell (or banging on a drum in France and Holland), criers in mediaeval Britain typically dressed elaborately and shouted "hear ye, hear ye" which signified attention and silence. In medieval Britain, criers were the nation's newscasters. Dispatches from foreign wars, by-laws, judicial rulings, important proclamations, even advertisements, were issued forth by men whose status was soon indicated by the fine livery they wore, and, the unique royal protection they enjoyed.

The costume indicates his official status as an ancient town's watchman and reader of news. He also specified the punishments to be publicly administered to law breakers according to the traditions at that time. They included consignment to the stocks, being pilloried and whipped, ducking stool sessions, and execution. It was a part of the crier's job to deliver bad news such as tax rises, and the closing of bawdy houses, and to this day it remains an offence to "hinder or heckle" a town crier as he goes about his business. In the United Kingdom today, a valid, competition-grade cry must begin with the traditional "Oyez, oyez, oyez!" – thought to be a corruption of the French ecoutez (listen) – and end with the National Anthem. Most criers further preface their announcements with a peal on a hand bell, although horns, trumpets and even rattles are permitted. Criers strive to develop a distinct style of delivery.

Town criers and their spouses from around the world visited Bermuda and this town in 2000.

There is one in your town too, Gerry, that hotel bar that you mentioned you frequent. Refers to a drinking establishment.

Bawdy house was more than drinking...women figured prominently as well!!

I recall seeing the phrase 'bawdy house' on some pub sign boards, but a closer inspection revealed no discernible women activity. I'll take your word for it though. :)

If going by Bermy's definition, a few scattered about, but in the general sense of drink less women, some right next door to each other in certain parts of town. Business is hurting these days though, and the much stiffer drunk driving laws didn't help either.

Quite true. Anyone who has lived in this country can attest to the activity of drinking as being a big part of the culture. I know many guys who knock it back heavy each and every night, and some are tree workers up at five or six. Companies had big expense accounts at clubs where business was often discussed at night over drink, and there is a female companion at your table, filling the glasses with fresh ice cubes and then pouring....igniting your cigarette! Some of the places in the large cities are incredibly ritzy with cut glass chandeliers and the women in full evening gowns or kimonos. It's all about money, but still the folks enjoy that type of social interaction. A whole gamut tones down from that to these little hole in the wall places where the wife tends the bar and the husband does well trained preparation of very good food to accompany the drinks. Rather competitive in some areas, so having a good atmosphere and excellent fare is what keeps the regulars coming back. "Bawdy house" may not apply here, but "mama" knows the ropes in keeping the folks having an enjoyable time, especially if a good customer. It used to be quite common for people to drop in at two three or four of these places per night. When the salary men do eventually get home, these days I would imagine that fewer wives are waiting up with dinner, or to get the "I have already eaten". Sadly the long bad economy has hurt the zillions of these businesses. I recall the earlier days when an apprentice, when someone might take pity on me and invite for an evening of drinking with them. It was a very foreign country to me in these establishments, and it was often mysterious, interesting, and cool.

I really had the hots for a girl who worked in an old style drinking and food establishment, no doubt fooled by the charm. Possibly the proprietor's daughter, and my meager wages went to finally getting the chance to ask her out. Alas, it wasn't on the menu..... Wonder if she ever thinks of me?

Those are some very enlightening insights to living in Japan, Jay.

I haven't heard much about the clean up operations and how things are going over there since just after the tsunami. Usually the rebuilding after a disaster picks the economy up a notch. Has it been the case there?

It probably hasn't been on the news much because given the scale of the disaster, the cleanup although progressing, is still much in the beginning stages. Lots of areas haven't been touched yet. What to do with the debris is a real big problem, and it isn't just something that you can stick anywhere, being monstrously huge and having ramifications like a bad smell. Yes, the work is incredibly abundant for some folks, but in terms of it affecting the overall general economy positively, still very much bad than good with lots of folks continuing to hold their heads in woe. Temporary housing is going up, but material shortages are still a big issue. The radioactive sites are still causing major confusion and uncertainty as to what is going to happen to the folks that were displaced. I heard on the news yesterday where some people were bused in to their towns to collect personal items, allowed to remain for a maximum of two hours. The government is in upheaval as usual, just a bunch of self possessed useless idiots making things worse off. Of all the times when putting aside personal gain and juxtapositioning for power, to take a back seat to a little bi-partisanship for the good of the beleaguered whole, but just no way with those people to allow that.

Back